Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Criterion's New Look...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-06, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I can't imagine Criterion mucking up their covers like that.
Maybe that "C" and the logo on the side are just stickers on the shrink-wrap, or some sort of paper overlay under the shrink-wrap?
Old 05-22-06, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really don't care either way....they can do what they want. It won't make me buy more or less.....nor will I enjoy the film more or less. I've never really cared about coverart and it will never make me not buy something. They can ship ANY dvd to me in a fucking paper bag and as long as it's undamaged.....I'll be just fine. I've made my own inserts for years....why not coverart if I need it?
Old 05-22-06, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, after giving it time to grow on me, I still do not like it. I probably will not buy anymore Criterion titles.

...after I pick up the new Seven Samurai. Unless they release more Hitchcock. Or Renoir. Or Bergman. A Criterion of Syriana would be nice. I would break down for Lang. And maybe de Sica.

...or any other great movie with a quality transfer and informative supplaments.

So I guess I will continue to be Criterion, but every time I do I will take a moment to think "that is an ugly, stupid C."
Old 05-23-06, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It kinda sucks that Seven Samurai, Yojimbo and Sanjuro are gonna be re-released with that new crappy logo. I think I'll hold onto my old cover art.
Old 05-23-06, 04:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shagrath
Someone over at criterionforum.org posted an example of what the Rohmer box would have looked like if Criterion had kept the old banner, and I think it looks a lot better. Everything just seems to blow better. The new "C" and tab look like they were just added in as an afterthought without actually integrating them into the color scheme of the cover.

Much better than the new look.

The tilted, haphazard C just makes it look sloppy.
Old 06-01-06, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by basaro
It's not like the old/new numbers will be mixed up, so they won't be intertwined.
Unless the rereleases have the new style.