Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

No holds barred commentaries

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-06, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The South Park S1 commentaries were pulled as well.

On another note, I have a DVD of the Hulk Hogan movie. It’s awesome! It is copied from the LD. It sits nicely with my Song of the South DVD, Bladerunner criterion DVD, and Star Wars Holiday Special DVD, among others
Old 03-30-06, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
apparently the James Bond Criterion Laserdisc commentaries...since they were pulled because of it. There was some mention of trying to get them podcast a while back but we never got it organized.
I recently authored Dr. No, From Russia With Love, and Goldfinger using the OOP SE DVD anamorphic transfers with the normal DD 2.0 soundtracks and the DD 2.0 MGM commentaries; I added the Criterion Collection banned commentaries as a third (and in the case of Goldfinger, a fourth) audio track. They are perfectly synced to the films and the exact OOP SE DVD chapter stops have been preserved. I'm very happy with them!

TLK
Old 03-30-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by The Lizard King
I recently authored Dr. No, From Russia With Love, and Goldfinger using the OOP SE DVD anamorphic transfers with the normal DD 2.0 soundtracks and the DD 2.0 MGM commentaries; I added the Criterion Collection banned commentaries as a third (and in the case of Goldfinger, a fourth) audio track. They are perfectly synced to the films and the exact OOP SE DVD chapter stops have been preserved. I'm very happy with them!

TLK
Sounds nice. I have the original C.C. lasers of Dr. No, and FRWL, but could never find Goldfinger.
Old 03-30-06, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
Sounds nice. I have the original C.C. lasers of Dr. No, and FRWL, but could never find Goldfinger.
That's funny. One just ended on eBay this afternoon:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=9118471627

TLK
Old 03-30-06, 07:50 PM

The commentaries for The Andy Milonakis Show Season 1 were really funny. One episode had a NY Times reporter bashing the show, another was a video commentary of Ralphie trying to eat an entire pizza within the duration of one episode (he did), Andy and Ralphie rapping for an entire episode, and the cast speaking gibberish for half of an episode. Some of the funniest commentaries I've seen in a while.
Old 04-01-06, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Abel Ferrara tends to walk a thin line.
I've seen him on...maybe Conan, Leno, dunno...and he's either insane, drunk, or both.
Old 04-02-06, 12:49 AM

The commentary on The Sum of All Fears with Tom Clancy and the director, Phil Alden Robinson, is a favorite of mine. Clancy spends most of the track railing on Robinson for making drastic changes from the book, pointing out every few minutes that the government wouldn't do it that way, or saying that the military would never use that type of equiptment for certain things that happen in the film. Robinson spends most of the track attempting to defend himself and the changes. I'm a huge fan of Clancy's books, and The Sum of All Fears is one of his best, but they really butchered the film and made it completely sub-par (neo-nazis, having a young Jack Ryan just starting out in the CIA). I was surprised by the commentary track, and I thought it was fantastic.
Old 04-02-06, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
The aforementioned Clerks: The Animated Series commentary does take some potshots, but I think that it still comes off a little restrained . . .

I was a little disappointed with the "critics" commentaries on the Matrix boxset. The concept was that they were supposed to be critics who hated the films, but they sure didn't come off that way.

What about the Driller Killer commentary? I think that's the one (I always mess this up) where the director gets pissed and storms out during the movie.
Old 04-02-06, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Lizard King

TLK
very cool...i'd love to hear these. I have heard several people talk about these. Glad to see someone put some effort into preserving them.
Old 04-02-06, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Abob Teff
What about the Driller Killer commentary? I think that's the one (I always mess this up) where the director gets pissed and storms out during the movie.
Well, I wasn't one to see this in theaters, but supposedly different versions have been made for different markets.

*Slight Spoiler*

I heard that one version was to have the last frame of film to be filled with blood-red being accompanied by a woman's scream. But the DVD released by Cult Epics (With Abel Ferrara commentary) just ends in pitch black.
He voices his displeasure at the sight of this, but I always assumed this was how he envisioned it while filming it initially (Though he could have different feelings nowdays as was evident in his commentary which was recorded several years ago) So what's the real deal?

And as for "storming out", well, he didn't exactly go with the familar routine of "Thank you for listening, this is Abel Ferarra. Hope you enjoyed it" on his track for King of New York. It's like once the movie ends, he's out...With a song!

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 04-02-06 at 03:26 AM.
Old 04-02-06, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Jeremy Piven's track on PCU is a little bitter towards the director, mostly due to him not alowing the actors to do any improving... He mentions it more then a few times in reference to why the flick wasn't as funny as it could've been.
Old 04-02-06, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So what is in the Bond Criterion commentaries? Are they really 'banned' or is that just urban legend/gossip and they are just not available now because Criterion rarely leases out their features(or did originally)?
Old 04-02-06, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
So what is in the Bond Criterion commentaries? Are they really 'banned' or is that just urban legend/gossip and they are just not available now because Criterion rarely leases out their features(or did originally)?
Some of the comments from Terrence Young and Guy Hamilton use certain phrases related to sexuality (and the sex act itself) -- some rather politically-incorrect phrases in this day in age -- that I doubt highly if they would be used in a commercial DVD release of today. The story goes that the comments so incensed Albert R. "Cubby" Broccoli that he had Criterion pull them from circulation and simply re-release all three films in CLV, bare-bones format.

TLK
Old 04-02-06, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know if this counts, but I've never seen so much old fashion bashing before, than the License to Drive commentary, by the Director and Writer. I've seen lots that take a shot or two, but these guys take the cake.
Old 04-02-06, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Yeti4623
I don't know if this counts, but I've never seen so much old fashion bashing before, than the License to Drive commentary, by the Director and Writer. I've seen lots that take a shot or two, but these guys take the cake.
Haven't heard this one... Any examples?
Old 04-02-06, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Constantly making fun of Heather Graham's hair and clothes, and other stuff. And talking about digitally changing her hair and clothes, lol.
Old 04-02-06, 07:10 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Yeti4623
This is indeed a very fun commentary, even though it doesn't bash the film itself (or, at least, not nearly as much as "Private Lessons".)

"Thank GOD I went to film school!"
Old 04-02-06, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by JM1
Jack Sholder's commentary on The Hidden.

Totally honest, reveals the drawbacks of shooting low budget movies, lays into some of the bit part actors in a you-get-what-you-pay-for fashion, and obviously did not hit it off with Michael Nouri at all.

One of my all time favorite commentaries.
First one I thought of when I saw this topic.
Old 04-02-06, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I liked the goonies commentary track....lots of good stories between all the cast members....
Old 04-03-06, 10:59 AM

Anchorman Unedited has a pretty gruesome commentary track. It even gets to the point where they have to edit what they are saying on the commentary with bleeps just out of pure necessity of not getting sued for all the crazy shit comming out of their mouth.
Old 04-03-06, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by metalhead212
Anchorman Unedited has a pretty gruesome commentary track. It even gets to the point where they have to edit what they are saying on the commentary with bleeps just out of pure necessity of not getting sued for all the crazy shit comming out of their mouth.
granted, i didn't listen to the whole thing, but from the first 15-20 minutes of it i listened to, it was just them rattling off a bunch of swear words and saying disgusting shit. not really what the thread is about. also, pretty annoying waste of a commentary track, imo.

but the commentary that takes the cake for me is alone in the dark. anyone who's watched one of uwe boll's movies (if you can even call them that) knows he's an incompetent filmmaker. but this commentary allows him to show his true colors, and they are very arrogant, bastardy colors! at one point, he actually goes off on a rant about how american actresses are unwilling to go topless in films and rips on tara reid for it. amazing.
Old 04-03-06, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the best in this regard is Eddie Muller's commentary on Born to Kill where he discusses his own encounter with Lawrence Tierney. In fact, any DVD extra involving Tierney is good -- the commentary for the Simpsons episode he starred, the featurette on the Reservoir Dogs DVD where Tarantino and the cast discuss working with him. Of course, the only reason this is possible is because Tierney's dead -- no one would dare talk smack about him if he could turn up on their doorstep.

The Blue Underground edition of The Final Countdown is pretty good. It's not so much the commentary, which is honest but not brutal, so much as the featurettes on the second disc where people involved discuss the fact that the director was a drunk, and everyone hated Katharine Ross for being a stuck-up biddy.
Old 04-03-06, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Any examples about what those people said about Tierney?
Old 04-03-06, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
The second commentary for Speed. It's been a while since I listened but I believe they talked about being thankful they weren't a part of the sequel...
Old 04-03-06, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
The second commentary for Speed. It's been a while since I listened but I believe they talked about being thankful they weren't a part of the sequel...
One of my favorite commentaries of all time. These guys are brilliant.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.