Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Magnum P.I. Season 3 January 31!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-05, 08:36 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Magnum P.I. Season 3 January 31!

Magnum P.I. is my favorite show of all time. Season 3 is my 2nd favorite season. (Season 2 is my favorite.)

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4337
Old 10-19-05, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Been waiting for this.
Old 10-19-05, 09:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by matome
Been waiting for this.
Let's go up to Pali lookout and watch the sunrise! It ought to be beautiful!
Old 10-19-05, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About time! They are going to have to speed the releases up on this show. Season 3 and 4 in my opnion are by far the best in the series.
Old 10-19-05, 01:55 PM

I'm looking forward to it, but I wish they'd drop the double-sided discs.
Old 10-19-05, 11:51 PM

awesome.. looking forward to this too...
Old 10-21-05, 10:02 AM
Banned

The cover art is here:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4347

It also says that the set will contain a bonus episode from season 4, but it doesn't say which episode.
Old 10-21-05, 10:25 AM

Another ugly Magnum cover.. oh well, I'm not going to buy it for the cover art, I'm going to buy it to hear TC say "Higgy baby"

-- Jim
Old 10-21-05, 11:10 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I sure wouldn't mind if that episode for Season 4 was Home From The Sea. Season 3 has a lot of good episodes. The show has really held up well after 20+ years. I'll definitely be getting Season 3.
Old 10-21-05, 11:13 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Season 3 has a bunch of episodes directed by Ivan Dixon - Kinch from Hogan's Heroes.
Old 10-21-05, 03:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jim
I sure wouldn't mind if that episode for Season 4 was Home From The Sea.
Home From The Sea is my favorite episode of the series.

It gets better every time I see it.

In addition to the excellent story, plot, acting, and musical score, I love how the end of each scene transitions into the beginning of the next scene.

And how
Spoiler:
At the very end of the epiosde, just as Magnum is being rescued, and we think that the problem has been solved, we find out that his father died.
Old 10-21-05, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wish I could say I still cared but given the fact that both my magnum sets have playback issues because of crappy dvds I think I will pass and hope for an all-in-one blueray set or something.
Old 10-21-05, 07:40 PM

Don't you think its kinda odd why they add "bonus" episodes from other seasons, even though we are going to get them anyways, when that season itself comes out?..

and why did they change the packaging from season 1 to 2?.. is 3 going to be like 2 with the slim cases for each set?
Old 10-21-05, 08:35 PM

"Home from the Sea"(4) and "Did you see the Sunrise(3) are my faves. Ditto on the discs as I have a few problems with mine as well.

I can only hope that the season 8 set (if they make it that far) will have some real extras.
Old 10-21-05, 08:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by madara
I wish I could say I still cared but given the fact that both my magnum sets have playback issues because of crappy dvds I think I will pass and hope for an all-in-one blueray set or something.
I have also have playback problems on both of mine too.

Fortunately, they're in places where it does about the least harm.

In season 1, the only problem is in the closing credits for "Missing In Action." I didn't exchange it, because I thought that doing so could make the problem worse.

Before I bought season 2, I said to myself, "If there's a problem, I hope it's in the episode 'The Taking Of Dick McWilliams,' because that's my least favorite episode from that season."

When I bought season 2, the only problem was in the middle of that episode.

Since I thought the "DVD gods" were smiling, I didn't exchange it.

My player is a Panasonic S-47 that was manufactued in July 2004.

I am worried about problems with season 3.

But this is my favorite show of all time, and season 3 is my 2nd favorite season. (Season 2 is my favorite.)

I don't like these defects at all. I will consider skipping some of the later seasons if season 3 is messed up.

In my opinion, this show never "jumped the shark," because even the last few seasons have some outstanding episodes.

However, there were more "clunkers" during the later seasons.

Most of my favorite episodes occur within the first 3 seasons.

Still, though, season 7 has "Little Girl Who," "Paper War," and "Limbo," and season 8 has "Infinity And Jelly Doughnuts" and "Unfinished Business."

I wonder how they will handle the DVD release of "Limbo" in season 7. As originally aired, it was to be the last episode of the series. But after it aired, they decided to do one more season. When "Limbo" was re-aired over the summer, they made a few changes to it. It is this changed version that airs in syndication. The original version has not aired since its original broadcast.

Ideally, the season 7 DVD would have the original version of "Limbo," and the season 8 DVD would have the modified version. Since season 8 was a shorter than normal season, there would be room for it on the DVD set.

I wonder how the season 3 DVD of Magnum will deal with the episode "Ki's Don't Lie," which was a crossover with Simon and Simon. The season 1 DVD of Magnum had the orignal airing of that, plus the Simon and Simon episode, as bonus material.

The syndicated version of "Ki's Don't Lie" has a different ending that closes up all the loose ends.

I wonder which version will be on the season 3 DVD.
Old 10-21-05, 08:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sathlin
Don't you think its kinda odd why they add "bonus" episodes from other seasons, even though we are going to get them anyways, when that season itself comes out?..

and why did they change the packaging from season 1 to 2?.. is 3 going to be like 2 with the slim cases for each set?
I think the "bonus" episodes on the season 1 set may have been meant to try to increase sales, because they used episodes with famous celebrities - Sharon Stone and Morgan Fairchild.

Perhaps the bonus episode for the season 3 set will be the season 4 episode "A Sense Of Debt," which had Shannon Doherty as a guest.

I think they switched to slim cases for season 2 because the packaging for season 1 held the discs in too tightly.

I don't know why season 2 didn't have the raised lettering on the outside box like season 1 did.

I don't know if season 3 will have slimcases. I hope it does.
Old 10-21-05, 08:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by flyboy
"Home from the Sea"(4) and "Did you see the Sunrise(3) are my faves. Ditto on the discs as I have a few problems with mine as well.

I can only hope that the season 8 set (if they make it that far) will have some real extras.
"Did You See The Sunrise" is one of my favorites.
Old 10-22-05, 01:45 PM
Banned

Gord Lacey is asking people to please report their defective DVD-18s of TV shows for a story that he is writing:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4351
Old 10-24-05, 08:48 PM
Banned

It's now up for preorder at amazon for $34.99. I was the first person to submit a review.
Old 11-05-05, 01:08 PM
Banned

Here's a screenshot of the menu:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4448
Old 12-27-05, 01:22 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Costco.com is showing that the bonus episode from season 4 will be "Letter to a Duchess". According to tvtome.com it was the 6th episode of season 4.
Old 12-27-05, 04:40 PM

Thanks, Jim!
Old 12-27-05, 09:09 PM
Banned

I've never heard anyone say that "Letter To A Duchess" was one of their favorites. It's not a bad episode, but I don't know why they picked that one.

It's been more than 2 months since I posted my customer review of this at amazon, and it's still the only review that's there.
Old 02-01-06, 07:25 AM
Banned

Whoo hoo! "Ki's Don't Lie" has the self contained ending! That's great, because now we have both versions. (The original version of the episode, plus the Simon and Simon crossover episode, were included as bonuses on the Magnum season 1 DVD.) There's actually a layer change early in this episode.

There's also a layer change early in "Flashback."

That does seem a bit odd to have a layer change in the middle of an episode. But my entire first disc played perfectly, so I'm happy!

There's no opening preview of scenes in "Did You See The Sunrise?" I'm guessing that's probably how it originally aired, but I'm not sure. The episode itself is definitley uncut, because it has Ivan calling T.C. a certain racial slur, which always gets cut from syndication.

The original Universal logo is gone from every episode. The new logo is at the beginning of each episode.

"Did You See The Sunrise?" has the same stock cover version of "Satisfaction" by the Rolling Stones that's always been used in the episode.
Old 02-01-06, 08:46 PM
Banned

The second disc doesn't have any layer changes during the episodes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.