Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Wonder Years is in the works!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-06, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by pinata242
What could they offer MJ to get the rights?

Well, just to use it for the title song. I didn't mean buy it outright from MJ. My point was Beatles songs are used all the time for commercials and such, so it may not be as difficult to use as songs by other artists.
Old 07-12-06, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
There's an article on the Denver Post in regards to this series chances of coming to DVD and it seems that they are targeting to release it within the next two year but as we all suspected it, without some of the original music.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_4033777

Pricey nostalgia
The fabulous soundtrack to "The Wonder Years" has kept the popular show off video.
By Scott Lieber
Denver Post Staff Writer

It's fair to say that no defunct television show commands the kind of craving for DVDs like "The Wonder Years."

Among shows that have yet to release full seasons, "The Wonder Years" - a nostalgic coming-of-age series set in suburbia circa 1970 - is one of the most sought-after. The website TVshowsonDVD.com lists the 10 most requested DVDs still unreleased by studios, and "The Wonder Years" sits at No. 2, right behind "Beverly Hills 90210."

Amazon.com offers the only two "Wonder Years" DVDs, and the cheapest one - "The Christmas Wonder Years: The Holiday Episodes" - costs $74.99. For the more affluent, a used 70-minute DVD of "The Best of The Wonder Years" starts at $97.84 and runs up to $186.99 for a new one.

But full seasons of the show remain locked up, as costly music licensing has postponed their release.

"We're not that far along," said Jyoti Sarda from 20th Century Fox Marketing, of releasing full seasons of the show. "We know it's something we'd like to put out. We know that people want it out. Consumers are waiting. Fans are waiting. We talk about needing to tackle it, but we haven't gotten to a place where it's being actively worked on."

"It's not imminent," said Steve Feldstein, senior vice president of Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, "in that it's not going to be out in the next couple of months."

"The Wonder Years" aired on ABC from 1988-93. Set in the late 1960s and early 70s, it followed the adventures of Kevin Arnold (Fred Savage) as he negotiated adolescence.

Actor Daniel Stern provided the voice- over narration of the adult Kevin, and it was this filtering of junior-high angst through an adult's memories that resonated with viewers. People can identify with Kevin's experiences growing up, right down to schoolkid crushes, bullying siblings, parental expectations and the general trials of teendom.

The period music on "The Wonder Years" is critical to the show's emotional resonance, serving as an aural touchstone to viewers of a certain age. In one of the series' most memorable scenes, Kevin climbs a tree to peer into on-and-off girlfriend Winnie's window after she's hurt in an accident. The background music: "We've Got Tonight," by Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band.

Sarda hopes to begin releasing the DVDs within two years. No matter when they come out, the original music most likely won't be on them.

"I think that's the only way really we're going to see it," says Gord Lacey, creator of the Web site TVshowsonDVD.com. "I don't have a list of the songs used in the show, but something tells me they're not going to be able to release a completely intact series."

The music-licensing hurdle is substantial. "The Wonder Years" borrowed more than 300 pieces of music for its 115 episodes. Even more daunting is the fact that the music is from what has emerged as a resurgent, nostalgic era.

"I'd love to put it out on DVD, so other people can enjoy it," Sarda said. "So we just have to work through these issues. It's not that simple, because music is an integral part of that show. So it's not like you can just go in and replace it all."

Rights to broadcast on TV differ from rights to distribute for home entertainment. Most shows now negotiate home-entertainment rights prior to production. Shows produced in the pre-digital days - like "The Wonder Years" - never negotiated those rights.

The only two DVDs of "The Wonder Years" out now - "The Holiday Episodes" and "The Best of The Wonder Years" - both used replacement music.

"You go in and see which songs are expensive that are not as essential," Sarda says. "And that process of going through each episode and doing that analysis is a more complicated process than putting out a TV show that doesn't have these issues."
Old 07-12-06, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Without the original music, I'll reluctantly pass on these. Sad, as I literally grew up with this show, but the music is THAT important to The Wonder Years.
Old 07-12-06, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bums me out reading that.I mean were looking at "maybe" in a couple years and still without the original music.
Old 07-12-06, 08:31 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
If it's not going to have the music, then why is it taking so long?
Old 07-12-06, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by grundle
If it's not going to have the music, then why is it taking so long?
My understanding of the article is that they are not going to have all of the music but they will have some original ones. Read the last sentence.
Old 07-12-06, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"The period music on "The Wonder Years" is critical to the show's emotional resonance, serving as an aural touchstone to viewers of a certain age. In one of the series' most memorable scenes, Kevin climbs a tree to peer into on-and-off girlfriend Winnie's window after she's hurt in an accident. The background music: "We've Got Tonight," by Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band."
This is one specific episode that I remember but the song in question wasn't even released during the time period they were portraying. I seem to remember this from the late '70s and I just checked a CD that has it copyright 1976. I don't think they had even reached that year by the series end.

Last edited by Xbox69; 07-12-06 at 11:59 PM.
Old 07-12-06, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have all of the episodes right here for me to watch anytime I want (no, I didn't buy boots), so screw em if they can't somehow work it out to release the show as it aired. I'd love to have DVDs with great video/audio quality along with some great special features, but the original music is a must.

"You go in and see which songs are expensive that are not as essential," Sarda says. "And that process of going through each episode and doing that analysis is a more complicated process than putting out a TV show that doesn't have these issues."
It's quotes that like that piss me off. Who are they to say which songs are essential to the show or not? I'm sure that all of the songs that I find essential wont be the same that someone else decides on, and quite frankly, having people pick and choose what music stays and what music goes while still trying to keep in mind how they can save money, it's all bullshit.

Few forms of entertainment meant a great deal to me growing up, but this show is certainly one of the top ones for me personally.
Old 07-12-06, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
True...but then again, the show wasn't in real time in the fact that Kevin was REALLY a much older man looking back on his life growing up in the late 60's early 70's. In that way, maybe it works. Or maybe they didn't care and just loved the music.

Anyways, this is disappointing but totally expected. It's truly too bad...I guess I'll have to stick to the bootleg dvd's....Like someone else said, the music makes the show in many ways.
Old 07-12-06, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Xbox69
"The period music on "The Wonder Years" is critical to the show's emotional resonance, serving as an aural touchstone to viewers of a certain age. In one of the series' most memorable scenes, Kevin climbs a tree to peer into on-and-off girlfriend Winnie's window after she's hurt in an accident. The background music: "We've Got Tonight," by Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band."
That is such a good example to show just how important the music is to this show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7aq6EFq_38

I also don't see how anyone could not be moved by that segment.
Old 07-12-06, 10:16 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
My understanding of the article is that they are not going to have all of the music but they will have some original ones. Read the last sentence.
OK. Thanks.
Old 07-12-06, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
That is such a good example to show just how important the music is to this show:

I guess youtube is my best option for my WY fix
Old 07-12-06, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin

Wow, before I was pretty ambivalent about wanting the orginal music on the DVD's because the most important thing to me was just seeing the show again after so long. But that clip really made be reconsider this. That scene wouldn't have been half as powerful without that song playing, and I'm sure the same thing can be said for so many other scenes in the series. I think it's bullshit to destroy the artistic integrity of something just because of money. I can't help but think that if they paid the expenses to get all of the original music and then released the DVD sets at an expensive price, there would still be a substantial market for the show. Sure, not everyone would be happy because it would be too expensive, but you can't please everyone right?
Old 07-12-06, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, everyone should watch that video. Like you said, that's not even the tip of iceberg. The show had moments like that all the time.

Even in the pilot, at the end of the episode, Winnie is sitting alone on a rock, trying to comprehend her brother having been killed, and Kevin walks up and sits down beside her. After a few words, he takes his jacket off and put his eyes around her, "When A Man Loves A Woman" begins to play. Then, right after their lips touch for the first time, the lyrics begin ring out loud and clear, and we get the long pan out, the older Kevin speaks a monologue that pretty much sets the stage for the entire series, and then Kevin and Winnie hug.
Old 07-13-06, 02:57 AM
Banned

Just watched the video, that is a beautiful song, as long they keep that song and the opening song then it is all good
Old 07-13-06, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
The song in question (for the uninitiated) is Bob Seger's We've Got Tonight.

FWIW, Bob Seger had a few songs on Freaks & Geeks that were allowed on the DVD release so I would assume this one song in question has a strong possibility of making it.

Watched the series finale ending scene again off that page as well. One of the best endings ever, IMO. The episode sucked but this tacked on ending was very touching and left out all the bullshit that 99% of finales suffer from.

*edit - just reread all the posts above.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 07-13-06 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-13-06, 08:34 AM

Well if you have the ability to play them, it seems the first set of The Wonder Years is coming out on DVD in R2 in August... 30 pounds for the first set. Not sure if it is the first season or the first two (since the first is only six episodes).
Old 07-13-06, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But my question, which I've asked before and have found no information on, is will the R2 set have the original music. I know that there are shows that get released over there that have original music intact that could never be put out here with original music.

And if that's the case, why not put WKRP out in Region 2?
Old 07-13-06, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by calhoun07
But my question, which I've asked before and have found no information on, is will the R2 set have the original music. I know that there are shows that get released over there that have original music intact that could never be put out here with original music.
As I understand it, Europe has different rules than the US when it comes to things like that. If a song is used in a TV show, then the owner of the show automatically has the right to use it in any home video format.
Old 07-13-06, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is just like Quantum Leap (except Universal made no attempt there to get the vital songs back).

The end of the Accident is (IMHO) one of the greatest endings to a TV episodes ever. Still brings a tear to my eye.
Old 07-13-06, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

if this thing comes out after so long without the original music, i won't be buying it, despite that it it is at the top of my most wanted series
Old 07-14-06, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When are the record companies going to realize that a DVD release is free advertising for their music sales, not competition.

If they were smart they would just require the studio to pay a small amount of money and have a booklet or something included that lists by episode; the names of the songs, what albums they are from, where they can buy them, etc.

The way that have it set up now is just bad business for both sides.
Old 07-14-06, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Judremy
Well if you have the ability to play them, it seems the first set of The Wonder Years is coming out on DVD in R2 in August... 30 pounds for the first set. Not sure if it is the first season or the first two (since the first is only six episodes).
Hopefully the music is intact.
Old 07-14-06, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Hopefully the music is intact.
I would consider going region free just for this set if the music is indeed intact. Otherwise, and I never thought i'd say this, I'm going the route of bootlegs.
Old 07-14-06, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
You'd think a smart distributor would buy the rights in say, French Guyana, and release the set there internationally so worldwide people can buy it.

Of course, then French Guyanans will wonder why there's 20 kinds of subtitles.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.