Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Wonder Years is in the works!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Wonder Years is in the works!

Old 10-29-14, 10:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The Wonder Years is in the works!

I know most here are passing on the locker because of lack of space, but if I get this set, I will go the full Monty. Hopefully during the Holidays Time Life will have some kind of sale. Last time I bought anything from them was the Six Million Dollar Man set during the Holidays and it was on sale.
I'm very happy with the 3 season set. It comes with what I assume is the biggest non DVD aspect of the site (outside of the locker itself) the yearbook and has the first bonus DVD which includes the full reunion.
Old 11-04-14, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, any word on when Season 2 will be available individually?
Old 11-17-14, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Loving re-watching this show after so much time. Year book set was so worth it. The only catch is wondering when the next three seasons are coming out.
Old 11-17-14, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

I haven't bought it yet, but I'm looking forward to it even though I've seen each episode (at least my favourite ones) half a dozen times.
Old 11-18-14, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I interviewed Wendel Meldrum who played Miss White in some of my favorite episodes of the show for my TV Guidance Counselor podcast this week. It's out for free on iTunes tomorrow, but if you want to hear it today here it is
<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/170042010&color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_rep osts=false"></iframe>
Old 11-18-14, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tsk, tsk, that's Mrs. Heimer.
Old 11-19-14, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I refuse to acknowledge the marriage.
Old 11-19-14, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just hope that they roll out the next three season set and I don't kick myself 3 years from now for not getting the big set as the other's didn't get released for whatever reason.
Old 11-19-14, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
I just hope that they roll out the next three season set and I don't kick myself 3 years from now for not getting the big set as the other's didn't get released for whatever reason.
If I were a gambling man, I'd pick up the big set. Old shows like this have histories of not getting completed and then this set will be OOP and expensive as heck.

This is coming from someone that isn't planning on buying any wonder years. I'm in the range of the negative side of borderline.
Old 11-20-14, 08:26 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Season 2 gets a retail release on February 3:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Won...Season-2/20505
Old 11-20-14, 08:31 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
If I were a gambling man, I'd pick up the big set. Old shows like this have histories of not getting completed and then this set will be OOP and expensive as heck.

This is coming from someone that isn't planning on buying any wonder years. I'm in the range of the negative side of borderline.

Normally I would agree with you. But in this case, they have already paid for the music rights and remastering for every season. The money has already been spent. And the cost of physically manufacturing the discs is trivial. There would be no reason not to release each and every season individually at the retail level.
Old 11-25-14, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 809 Likes on 598 Posts

My sister gave me the Costco Season 1 and 2 set for my birthday. I'm going to start watching them on Thanksgiving. I'm excited. I haven't watched it since I was 10.
Old 11-25-14, 10:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grundle
Normally I would agree with you. But in this case, they have already paid for the music rights and remastering for every season. The money has already been spent. And the cost of physically manufacturing the discs is trivial. There would be no reason not to release each and every season individually at the retail level.
Agree 100%.
Old 11-28-14, 04:51 AM

Winnie would look so nice in HD...
Old 12-03-14, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

So I hesitated for awhile, but I finally broke down last night and splurged on the complete series. Yes, locker included.

Time Life had sort of a Cyber Monday sale going on for the set yesterday. If you purchased it for $249.95, you will get a free upgrade to the $299.95 Experience set.

That included:

The Wonder Years Experience

Get everything you need to fit in at Kennedy Junior High with The Wonder Years Experience. In addition to the Complete Series, you'll get:

Wildcats t-shirt and tube socks
Vintage Kennedy Junior High gym bag
Wildcats pennant and commemorative patch
Collectible Wonder Years buttons
A newly produced Wonder Years soundtrack CD, featuring the theme song plus classics by Bob Dylan, Diana Ross, The Beach Boys, The Temptations and many others.

yes, I know I don't really need any of that stuff, but it was a free upgrade to a more premium set, so I said why not?

I wanted to get this set to support the amount of effort & time that Time Life did to getting the cast together for the extras and clearing as much music as they did.

Yes it's DVD, not BD and the price is a little extravagant for most of the cost conscious people in this forum. But, I feel that if more people support premium product like this, then more companies like Time Life will actually make the effort to put together sets like this for other classic shows.
Old 12-06-14, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 809 Likes on 598 Posts

I just watched the episode "Angel" from season one and had to post this beautiful quote from it:

"At some point, late at night, near sleep, the ideas and the disagreements sort of dissolve, and you're just left with the people. And people were no different then, as they've always been. And always will be. Young girls get their hearts broken. Men and women suffer alone, over the choices they've made. And young boys, full of confusion... full of fear... full of love and courage... grow up stealthily in their sleep."
Old 12-12-14, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So guys, can you all share your thoughts on the picture quality? I appreciate all the effort Time Life did with the set, but I'm hung up on two things based on the price:

1) The picture quality? Overall, how does it look? Is it subpar? Decent? Solid? Better than expected? Does it look like copies of VHS recordings? What can I expect?

2) The locker...what are your thoughts on it? How's the quality? Overall, are you happy the set comes with a locker full of books and such, or do you wish there was something less obtrusive?

Thanks.
Old 12-12-14, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I just watched the episode "Angel" from season one and had to post this beautiful quote from it:

"At some point, late at night, near sleep, the ideas and the disagreements sort of dissolve, and you're just left with the people. And people were no different then, as they've always been. And always will be. Young girls get their hearts broken. Men and women suffer alone, over the choices they've made. And young boys, full of confusion... full of fear... full of love and courage... grow up stealthily in their sleep."
Tons of memorable text from that show, most of it in the ruminative narration. The last episode, as rushed, imperfect, and unsatisfying as it was, concluded with this universally meaningful beauty:

Growing up happens in a heartbeat.
One day you're in diapers; next day you're gone.
But the memories of childhood stay with you
For the long haul.

I remember a place...a town...a house
like a lot of other houses...
A yard like a lot of other yards...
On a street like a lot of other streets.
And the thing is...After all these years,
I still look back...with WONDER.
Old 02-22-15, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Humm, I think I might have hosed myself on buying the first three seasons (mainly, I was concerned with the packaging as a lot of those sleeve type sets deal with disc damage). Awaiting the release of the the final three seasons. Really thought they would be rolling out another three disc package for those who got the first. I tore through the first three. If they are going with the rate of current DVD release on the single sets I gather season 6 will be out sometime mid 2016?
Old 02-23-15, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am also waiting for seasons 4-6. I assume they won't include the yearbook and bonus DVD.
Old 02-27-15, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I just learned about is this week. I want this bad, but can't do $250.
Old 03-30-15, 05:37 PM

I really want Wonder Years on DVD but I'm not sure which version to get.

There's season 1 and 2 released individually on Amazon.com. Then there's a full set for $250.

Does anyone own any of these? I'm wondering about the video quality. Some reviews on Amazon are great and other say the video quality is horrible.
Old 04-04-15, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by GAMESHARQ
I really want Wonder Years on DVD but I'm not sure which version to get.

There's season 1 and 2 released individually on Amazon.com. Then there's a full set for $250.

Does anyone own any of these? I'm wondering about the video quality. Some reviews on Amazon are great and other say the video quality is horrible.

I don't mind the subpar video quality. The show takes place in the late 60s/early 70s, and it kind of gives it an authentic feeling.

Not even sure what BluRay of this show would look like all cleaned up.
Old 04-04-15, 08:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The video quality is what it is. It was never going to great, but most of the music is there. It's favorite and I'm glad that it's finally available.
Old 04-05-15, 05:04 PM

Just placed my order on Amazon for Seasons 1 & 2 for $32. Was planning to get the complete set with locker and all but I had to order some other non-media items and saw this and pulled the trigger. This will satisfy my appetite until the other seasons are available.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.