Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Unsolved Mysteries : The Ultimate Collection ----> 3/21/06

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-06, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Are you serious? That's crap! half the fun of watching UM is getting creeped out by the music when the show starts.
Ya, it's the newer intro music, which is like a lame techno remix of the original theme. And the same music is used for the credits at the end of each disk, which sucks because the original end credits music was just as creepy.
Old 11-24-13, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: Unsolved Mysteries : The Ultimate Collection ----> 3/21/06

Sorry to bump this ancient thread but I really wish we could get some more volumes of this on DVD. I loved this series as a kid and still enjoyed watching reruns on television until a while back when it seemingly disappeared for good. I ordered The Best of Unsolved Mysteries collection recently and wouldn't mind getting some of the other sets but they're seemingly out of print and kind of expensive.
Old 12-07-13, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I guess it depends on how you do your search on Amazon for them and which sets you are looking for. Some of them are being sold used for under $10.

I've got the Bizarre Murders, Ghosts, and Strange Legends sets in my collection - altho I bought those when they first came out.

The new updated series that is shown on Lifetime isn't too bad, altho I haven't watched it in a while.
Old 12-07-13, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

^I didn't know it was still being shown. The Spike incarnation of a few years ago was so atrocious that I stopped watching, despite being a huge fan.
Old 12-07-13, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
^I didn't know it was still being shown. The Spike incarnation of a few years ago was so atrocious that I stopped watching, despite being a huge fan.
Yeah, it's still the same show. I just don't like the sound effects they use while discussing the cases. Weird beeping and buzzing noises - so not necessary!
Old 12-07-13, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey65
Yeah, it's still the same show. I just don't like the sound effects they use while discussing the cases. Weird beeping and buzzing noises - so not necessary!
The ones that air on Lifetime right now are repeats from 5 years ago that originally aired on Spike. They don't produce new episodes anymore.

Plus Dennis Farina passed away earlier this year.
Old 12-07-13, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I recently discovered that Lifetime is still airing the Dennis Farina hosted version of the series. I think I saw most of those when they aired "new" back in 2008 (a lot of the segments were just re-used or updated) so a lot of them are more fresh in my memory and I'm not as nostalgic for it. I wish that some network would pick up the old school re-runs but I suppose they figure with the age of the show and it's cases now that it's mostly outdated. I do like Farina but he just wasn't Robert Stack, I always really liked Stack's narration as it added to the atmosphere of the show along with that creepy music. That music would scare the shit out of me back in the day. About the only show that really comes close to this series for me is a series that airs on Investigation Discovery called Disappeared. I really like the way that show is put together too and think it puts together cases in an interesting manner. Only thing is the show obviously only focuses on missing people. I sort of liked that Unsolved Mysteries had a variety of cases.

Some of the sets are pretty easily obtainable for reasonable prices but for instance looking at the used prices for the Miracles, Psychics, and Strange Legends sets is pretty crazy. I would think those would be some of the less popular sets but maybe I'm wrong. It's too bad some of these couldn't get re-released or get some more volumes out as the show aired for a long time so there's a lot of material they could put out. I would think it sold somewhat decently given that the company who put them out put out a decent number of sets.

Last edited by Mike86; 12-07-13 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-07-13, 11:51 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Spike cut some off the segments. Not really that good.

I have all the DVD sets. Fantastic to pop a disc in and watch (though I recently made them digital so I just stream them)
Old 12-07-13, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk God

I actually have the Unsolved Mysteries Ultimate Collection chest. It's an awesome collection for those who never bought the individual sets and has a bonus disc. Paid about $70 or 80 for it 5 years ago. I think I got it from DDD when they were still relevant.

Last edited by DJariya; 12-08-13 at 12:03 AM.
Old 12-08-13, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
I sort of liked that Unsolved Mysteries had a variety of cases.
Although I was a huge fan of the show when it was on NBC from roughly '88 to '95, I never liked the segments covering miracles, ghosts, psychics, and other supernatural poppycock.
No other show has ever depicted crime, missing persons, etc., with as much chilling atmosphere as U.M. I also loved segments that involved people looking for someone unknown who had saved them or done something nice for them many years earlier. Those were always heartwarming, and the inevitable reunion often brought a tear to the eye (remember the music played during those reunions? Lovely.).
Old 12-08-13, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish this show would be re-released because the format of the box sets(cheap cardboard sleeve with individual think packs) can easily be lost. Even though I'm the only one, I also wish that they would release Sightings on DVD. It aired on Fox in the early 90's before losing it's time slot to some show with David Duchovny.
Old 12-08-13, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Although I was a huge fan of the show when it was on NBC from roughly '88 to '95, I never liked the segments covering miracles, ghosts, psychics, and other supernatural poppycock.
No other show has ever depicted crime, missing persons, etc., with as much chilling atmosphere as U.M. I also loved segments that involved people looking for someone unknown who had saved them or done something nice for them many years earlier. Those were always heartwarming, and the inevitable reunion often brought a tear to the eye (remember the music played during those reunions? Lovely.).
The segments where miracles or psychics were covered were never my favorites either but I'd still buy the sets just to have them if I could find them at a reasonable price just because I like the show enough that I want as much of it as I can get. I think the chilling atmosphere of the show was largely due in part to Stack's narration. The way he spoke was just kind of creepy at times yet drew me in. I think that along with the music of the show really made everything come together for that chilling atmosphere you were talking about. The segment recreations varied from being sort of cheesy (more in the really early episodes) to disturbing as well.

Last edited by Mike86; 12-08-13 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-08-13, 11:47 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I actually have the Unsolved Mysteries Ultimate Collection chest. It's an awesome collection for those who never bought the individual sets and has a bonus disc. Paid about $70 or 80 for it 5 years ago. I think I got it from DDD when they were still relevant.
Good deal! That now goes for $300 or so. I've sold a few of them I found at Frys a few years back.

I'm one who liked the original cases for the set (slim DVD cases in a cool slip cover). But since I've converted them all I just Plex stream them when I'm bored. I even dumped them on two BD-Rs just to be safe.

Really wish someone would release more on DVD.
Old 12-08-13, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Good deal! That now goes for $300 or so. I've sold a few of them I found at Frys a few years back.

I'm one who liked the original cases for the set (slim DVD cases in a cool slip cover). But since I've converted them all I just Plex stream them when I'm bored. I even dumped them on two BD-Rs just to be safe.

Really wish someone would release more on DVD.
Didn't the company who put out the releases (I think it was First Look or something) go out of business? I wonder who owns the rights to the show now?
Old 12-08-13, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the chilling atmosphere of the show was largely due in part to Stack's narration. The way he spoke was just kind of creepy at times yet drew me in. I think that along with the music of the show really made everything come together for that chilling atmosphere you were talking about. The segment recreations varied from being sort of cheesy (more in the really early episodes) to disturbing as well.
I agree. Stack's narration and the music were major assets, but I don't remember the show being cheesy. It was solemn, straight-faced, and unironic, which I appreciated. Those are seldom-seen qualities on TV these days. It was a far better-produced show than, for instance, its competitor, America's Most Wanted, where everything was noisy, flashy, and unsubtle.
Old 12-08-13, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree. Stack's narration and the music were major assets, but I don't remember the show being cheesy. It was solemn, straight-faced, and unironic, which I appreciated. Those are seldom-seen qualities on TV these days. It was a far better-produced show than, for instance, its competitor, America's Most Wanted, where everything was noisy, flashy, and unsubtle.
I guess cheesy is the wrong way to put it, more like in some of the earlier episodes the acting wasn't up to par. That was more in some of the older episodes though, it got a lot better as it went on. I actually think the show was pretty well produced even against a lot of shows that are shown on say Investigation Discovery. There's really not a modern equivalent in my opinion.

Last edited by Mike86; 12-08-13 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-08-13, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no disrespect to Dennis Ferrina ...but those updated versions of the shows should be destroyed...took out all of the personality by replacing Robert Stack.. Also we need The Complete Series of this out in a set!
Old 12-08-13, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Well, Robert Stack died. He wasn't replaced. He was a very hard person to find a replacement for.

He managed to film 1 more season of the show that aired exclusively on Lifetime when he was 82 or 83 years old.

Just checked and First Look indeed went out of business.

I would love to see more releases, but I think a lot of the stories are super dated and wouldn't really work on a home video release, especially the ones that got updated.

Last edited by DJariya; 12-08-13 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-08-13, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Well, Robert Stack died. He wasn't replaced. He was a very hard person to find a replacement for.

He managed to film 1 more season of the show that aired exclusively on Lifetime when he was 82 or 83 years old.

Just checked and First Look indeed went out of business.

I would love to see more releases, but I think a lot of the stories are super dated and wouldn't really work on a home video release, especially the ones that got updated.
Yeah I suppose the age of the series and some of it being dated could be a factor but personally I'd take more just for nostalgia. Plus the series aired for a long time so there's a ton of segments they could choose from.
Old 12-08-13, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess cheesy is the wrong way to put it, more like in some of the earlier episodes the acting wasn't up to par. That was more in some of the older episodes though, it got a lot better as it went on. I actually think the show was pretty well produced even against a lot of shows that are shown on say Investigation Discovery. There's really not a modern equivalent in my opinion.
Agreed. As for a modern equivalent, no. Forensic Files (nee Medical Detectives) was a fantastic show, but different; more clinical. Cold Case Files certainly had its moments as well.
Old 12-08-13, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Agreed. As for a modern equivalent, no. Forensic Files (nee Medical Detectives) was a fantastic show, but different; more clinical. Cold Case Files certainly had its moments as well.
Yeah Cold Case Files is alright I suppose.
Old 12-09-13, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Some segments were better than others, as with any show. It has been off the air for about 5 years. A&E fired Bill Kurtis for some regrettable reason.
U.M. was in its own league, but other true crime shows I have enjoyed in addition to U.M., F.F., and C.C.F. include the excellent "Criminal Investigation Australia", "Real Crime", "Forensic Investigators", HBO's "Autopsy", and "Most Evil". You'll have to use a bit of duplicity to get your hands on those.

"Dark Minds" is a show that is still running. It has an outstanding, highly-promsing premise (probing unsolved serial killer cases), but the execution falls short. It seems like more-or-less a vanity project for author M. William Phelps. And the conceit of using an imprisoned serial killer for advice (a la Silence of the Lambs) adds very little of value, I think.
Old 12-09-13, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"Dark Minds" is a show that is still running. It has an outstanding, highly-promsing premise (probing unsolved serial killer cases), but the execution falls short. It seems like more-or-less a vanity project for author M. William Phelps. And the conceit of using an imprisoned serial killer for advice (a la Silence of the Lambs) adds very little of value, I think.
Yeah when I heard the premise for Dark Minds I thought it would be great but honestly I'm not that impressed by it. Like you said it feels more like a vanity project for M. William Phelps.

Like I mentioned earlier I like Disappeared pretty well. My only gripe is the focus is pretty narrow as it obviously is focused on missing people. I'm not sure if they're still making new episodes or not though. Another series I don't mind is Homicide Hunter: Lt. Joe Kenda.

Last edited by Mike86; 12-09-13 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-09-13, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk God

If John Cosgrove and Terry Meurer ever decided they wanted to resurrect this show once more, I think Bill Kurtis would be the best qualified on-air talent to host.

Looking back at the Dennis Farina season, I think he was a bad pick to host. He's a good actor, but I hated his voice overs. I get they picked up because he's a former Cop and starred on a lot of law enforcement shows like Crime Story and Law and Order.

Marlene Saunders who narrated the Autopsy series on HBO has a great voice, but I don't think she's ever appeared on camera and looking at her IMDB resume, she's 82 years old now.
Old 12-09-13, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually thought that Farina was okay at it but he just didn't have that same tone of voice that Stack brought to his narrations. Farina sounded almost too normal or something , whereas Stack kind of creeped you out at times and got your attention.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.