Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Any news on the new special Pee Wee's Playhouse set?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-05, 03:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I held off buying the first one that came out since they were talking about having the special super edition coming out around this time.

Anyone heard anything?
Old 12-03-05, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am in the same boat you are in. I have been waiting for some sort of update, but so far I haven't hear anything new. I recall Terry Gross interviewing Paul Rubens and he mentioned that there would be a special edition coming out. Of course, this was before the first 2 sets were even released. I guess I will just have to keep waiting for this, as well as the supposed releasing of Amazing Stories.
Old 12-03-05, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Other than we know it's coming, nothing has shown up in any of my readings.

Best guess would be either 1st or 2nd quarter 2006.
Old 12-03-05, 05:33 PM
Banned

I just sent an email to Image so if it's not a canned response I'll let you know what I find out.
Old 12-07-05, 04:24 PM
Banned

Email from Image:

Thank you for your inquiry. At this point Image does not have a definite release date for that Pee Wee title. We are hoping to release it by early 2006. Please check our website again for information regarding this title. Thank you.
Old 12-07-05, 06:57 PM

The only source I ever read for this was Paul Rubens himself, who has often overstated his future projects. He has been promoting two new Pee Wee movies for years, that he claims are ready to go. . . as soon as he finishes the scripts and finds someone to fund them. I personally wouldn't be surprised if these deluxe Playhouse DVDs never saw the light of day.
Old 12-08-05, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
I hope Pee Wee is not jerking us around on these supposed new sets.
Old 12-08-05, 08:20 AM

Old 12-08-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gfoots
He has been promoting two new Pee Wee movies for years, that he claims are ready to go. . . as soon as he finishes the scripts and finds someone to fund them.
So what is his definition of "ready to go" without scripts, backers, producers or a director?
Old 12-11-05, 08:56 PM

Some new info....

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4674
Old 12-11-05, 09:18 PM

After reading the official press release from Image at tvshowson dvd, I stand corrected. Still, I can't imagine enough interest in this series to warrant a second release. I'd be happy to see it though, as well as a new Pee Wee movie.
Old 12-12-05, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeVing
Yet another VHS tape I can retire. Great news!
Old 12-12-05, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

GREAT! I love that Pee-Wee nightclub show. Been waiting for this one for a looong time.

And bring on the Special Edition TV show...I'm waiting.
Old 12-12-05, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love it too.

I tried archiving my Pee-Wee Hermann Show VHS to DVD but it was plagued with macrovision-hell, mistracking, edge creases and low-resolution graininess. Finally I'll be able to purchase the official DVD in preserved early 80's quality next year.

I don't think fans love Pee-Wee enough to double-dip on his Playhouse series; unless they had some sort of trade-up deal. Image could release a separate disc of extras as an add-on and nobody would be too dismayed; but it wouldn't make up for the lack of commentaries on the episodes.
Old 06-08-06, 07:57 PM
Cool New Member

Just wanted to check in on this one...I'm thinking about caving and finally buying the existing sets, but I don't want to have to double-dip in a few months. Now that Adult Swim picked this up has there been any news on the SE release of Pee-Wee's Playhouse?
Old 06-09-06, 01:24 AM
Banned

I think any hope of an SE release was doomed by the "SE depends on sales of standard edition, people reluctant to buy standard edition in anticipation of SE" catch-22. However, the upcoming Adult Swim reruns may be the only thing that can break the paradox.
Old 06-09-06, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I picked up the sets right away and they're great... but, yeah, I have to think that Image/Paul Reubens probably could have come up with a better marketing strategy. The press release mentioned that they were going to release a much better set "shortly" after the first. And I saw Pee-Wee on the Today show saying the same thing.

Kinda hard to get people to shell out $$$$ for a set when you're telling them that within months, a better one is coming. I had a feeling that was a pipedream, so I bought it anyway. Looks like I made the right choice... although I look forward to any eventual uber-set.
Old 06-09-06, 01:00 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the input, GuruTwo and bboisvert. I went ahead and ordered the two sets w/ the DDD sale. I'll welcome the SE release, if it ever comes. Now that I finally bought the existing sets, it's bound to be annouced soon - that's just the kind of luck I have with this sort of things. Anyway, thanks again for the help.
Old 08-22-06, 07:33 PM

$19.19 each @ DDDvd

In case anyone (like myself) is considering this purchase yet, I just noticed today that DeepDiscount has this for $19.19 now for each set of discs.

edit: okay now they are back up to $26.59

Last edited by wickedfeel; 08-29-06 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-05-10, 10:14 AM
Banned

Re: Any news on the new special Pee Wee's Playhouse set?

Complete series being released, still no Special Edition.

Pee-wee's Playhouse - 'Ice Cream Soup and More' DVD is Announced **UPDATED: More Details, Plus a Complete Collection DVD**

Word of Image's new release comes right behind word of a Judd Apatow Pee-wee Herman project
Posted by David Lambert
7/05/2010

Every day's a wacky celebration at PEE-WEE'S PLAYHOUSE! Now you can see Miss Yvonne, Cowboy Curtis, Jambi the Genie, Captain Carl, Reba the Mail Lady, Tito, the King of Cartoons and the rest of the gang! Join the fun and scream the secret word!

Image Entertainment has announced the DVD release of Pee-wee's Playhouse - Ice Cream Soup and More, a budget-level release of the classic series at the classically low price of $9.97 SRP. It will be available on October 19th. The timing of this announcement is perfect, as it comes hot on the heels of Variety's new report that Judd Apatow (Freaks and Geeks, Undeclared, The Larry Sanders Show) developing a new Pee-wee Herman film, which will (naturally!) be co-scripted by Paul Reubens himself. So expect more DVD revisits of the original show on the way to this new project; it's a natural tie-in! We don't have details or package art for Image's newly-announced release yet, though. Stay tuned for updates!

UPDATE: Image has now followed up and provided some additional information about the above new title: "ICE CREAM SOUP AND MORE features the first 7 episodes from Pee-wee’s Playhouse Volume 1: Ice Cream Soup, Luau for Two, Rainy Day, Now You See Me Now You Don’t, Just Another Day, Beauty Makeover, The Restaurant ". The single-disc release will have a running time of 175 minutes.

Also, on the same date of October 19th, Image is also bowing an 11-disc release of "Pee-Wee's Playhouse - The Complete Collection". The cost is just $39.95 SRP, and the studio's information says this release simply combines all the material previously put out separately in the 2004 DVD releases Pee-wee's Playhouse - Set 1, Pee-wee's Playhouse - Set 2 and Pee-wee's Playhouse - Christmas Special. From the wording provided, the content appears to be 100% the same as those three titles, just put together into one single package. Stay tuned for box art.

Neither of these two new titles, by the way, seem to be the "Special Edition" releases that Paul Reubens has said since 2004 to expect on DVD eventually, and which in 2007 he said we should still expect at some point. While that may appear in the future, nothing in Image Entertainment's announcement for the October titles shows any new bonus materials. If we find out differently, we'll certainly let you know.
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/n/14007

By the way, can the mods merge all this threads on the same subject?

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/44...house-set.html
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/51...playhouse.html
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/39...-dvd-sets.html
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/39...se-tueday.html