Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVDs you've bought even though you *hate* the movie.

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVDs you've bought even though you *hate* the movie.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-05, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I bought the Alien Quadrilogy set even though Alien 3 isn't a movie I'm too fond of, and I loate Alien Resurrection. However, it was only $50 at Costco and I wanted that 9th disc.
Old 10-29-05, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cartload
I bought the Alien Quadrilogy set even though Alien 3 isn't a movie I'm too fond of, and I loate Alien Resurrection. However, it was only $50 at Costco and I wanted that 9th disc.

Yeah, but at least you now have the superior version of 3...the extended version. I did not like 3 until the quadbox came along. A HUGE differnece in my eyes!
Old 10-29-05, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I own some shitty movies here and there, but I like them all.
Old 10-29-05, 08:22 PM

Star Trek 5 for the extras (and it was under $7.00 from CH dvd club)
Old 10-29-05, 11:13 PM
Cool New Member

Yep-- I got pearl harbor for 2 bucks at a pawn shop because it was cheap and the packaging was kinda cool. Traded it in at Blockbuster for 5 bucks credit later though.

Now If we start talking about movies that you don't love but that you got because they are "important" or popular films or for some other reason felt compelled to get them to make your library complete...then the shame parade will really begin

Last edited by joshc529; 10-29-05 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-30-05, 02:23 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I bought American Pie on DVD out of a sense of obligation even though I hated it when I caught it theatrically. I just felt like it was something I was supposed to have. No idea why.

I did the same exact thing, I hated it in the theater, but I ended up liking the movie a lot more the second time around on DVD.

I have a ton of movies on this list, ones that have already been listed like Batman and Robin, the final two Supes movies and Catwoman. Also other ones include Man-Thing, The Substitute 3 (included with 1), The Ring, Attack of teh Clones, The Passion, Buddies (Dave Chappelle sitcom), Striptease and many more. But I also have to agree with whoever said Hate is too strong a word. There is always at least something alright I can find in those movies or DVDs.

As for the people saying you can't understand buying movies you don't like there is the completeist part, which I can be inlcuded in, but for me even if I find a movie cheap that I will never watch again or can't stand I just can't pass it up. Even if it's just for lending out to friends. Also I feel, at least with me, that I don't get the full movie after only seeing in once, and especially in a theater, so I always watch something a second time. So a lot of the times I buy DVDs just to give the movie another chance.
Old 10-31-05, 01:35 PM
Suspended

Several, actually:

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
Contact
Battlefield Earth
Batman Forever/Batman & Robin
Star Trek: First Contact/Insurrection
Godzilla

I'll buy a movie I absolutely hate if it has commentary, because I want to hear whoever explain themselves.

Last edited by lotsofdvds; 10-31-05 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-31-05, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, you hated Contact?
Old 10-31-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One that I knew I hated, but had to get it just to show others how bad it really was: 28 Days Later.

Yea, I know, it seems like everyone likes this turd, but I hated it. I only picked it up because it came with another disc I was already buying for only $4 more...
Old 10-31-05, 01:58 PM

I finally thought of a couple: Star Trek: Insurrection - SCE and Star Trek: Nemesis - SCE . Didn't like either very much when I saw them, but ended up picking up both, just to complete my TNG film series. They were both pretty cheap anyway.
Old 10-31-05, 02:02 PM

Trespass.....this was painful to watch....it was a blind buy but i just had to say it because it was easily one of the worst movies ive ever seen in my life and i'm ashamed i payed 7.50 for it.
Old 10-31-05, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ShagMan
Wow, you hated Contact?
I was about to say the same thing. I LOVE that movie.

The only way i would ever buy a movie that i didn't like would be if i was huge fan of an actor that plays a big part in it. Like Black Sheep for example. I don't like the movie but i like the Farley and Spade team so i might buy it if i could get for a really good price.
Old 10-31-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'll fess up. It's the only time I did this. I had a chance to pick up Armageddon: CC for $21.99 new mispriced at Wal-Mart. Couldn't say no.
Old 10-31-05, 02:34 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by ShagMan
Wow, you hated Contact?
Intensely.
Old 10-31-05, 02:50 PM

2nd and 3rd Matrix movies
SW Episode I
Old 10-31-05, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Batman & Robin, Alien Resurrection, & Back to the Future 3: It was cheaper to buy the box then the individual movies I wanted, or the box was the only way to get the movies I wanted..
Old 10-31-05, 10:05 PM

why oh why didnt I take the BLUE pill???
Old 11-01-05, 09:41 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
hate is such a strong word.

I got my Episode III: Revenge of the Sith disc in the mail yesterday for mostly the bonus 'Walmart' disc - the movie IMO was a complete dissappointment - but hey, I have to own it in my collection.
Old 11-06-05, 12:39 AM

Well, I have/had hated DVDs that fall into most mentioned categories:

Requisite sequels bought as blind buys: Matrix Reloaded (immediately pawned off to friend), The Lost World (ditto). Watching these movies made my blood boil, not because I spent money on them, but because I spent time on them, and because actual professional filmmakers who should know better spent money and time making these disasters.

High-grade classics: Charade (Criterion). I didn't last more then 20 minutes through this. ZZZ. OK, Snow White as well. Oh well, shoot me. I haven't cracked the wrap off my Crit Notorious DVD out of this fear. It's not like I'm rich either, but they look good on the shelf (?)

The horrid turd in nice wrapping: Pearl Harbor 4-disc. No commentary needed. I don't have Windtalkers, a movie I found even more offensively inane, but I know if I found the 3-disc set for $5, I'd buy it in a second. What is wrong with me?

The wife stuff. You know, the Greek Wedding, Legally Blonde sort of thing. Anything with Julia Roberts.

Despite this, the vast majority of my ~400-disc collection are films I would personally rate 3/4 to 4/4, so no regrets.
Old 11-06-05, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by danichi
Despite this, the vast majority of my ~400-disc collection are films I would personally rate 3/4 to 4/4, so no regrets.
A philosophy I continue to live by... hack away at the unessential!
Old 11-06-05, 01:00 AM

I thrive on buying DVD's I don't like...I think just so it makes the rest of my collection look that much better. Battlefield Earth was a recent purchase. Saw it for free in theaters, and despised it. Why would I buy it? I dunno. But I did.
Old 11-06-05, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone who has kids has bought some release or another that they hated but their kids loved, haven't they?

In my case, Shrek 2 comes to mind. Happily my son lost interest in it fairly quickly and now it gathers dust at the bottom of the shelves .
Old 11-06-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JLyon1515
You people who are buying DVDs then saying the movie was horrible and no one should watch it aren't making any sense. If you HATE a movie, there is no reason to buy it for your collection, at least in my mind.

That applies to some people, but there are people who buy DVDs not as movies but as shiny pretties, like the market there has been for many years for comic books, trading cards, beanie babies, toy action figures, the list goes on. Completists want entire sets, DVD geeks/addicts want the uber packaging, 3 disc SEs, various rarities whether they like the movie or not. They think about collectibility, if the packaging is an attractive display item, and whether or not the movie is an 'investment' rather than an enjoyable movie. You mentioned the word 'collection' in your post and there are some people who are hardcore collectors, just because they need to have SOMETHING to buy.
Old 11-06-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Nope. That'd just be stupid.
agree, that would be stupid buying a movie you dont like because of Packaging? wtf? extras? no cause if i dont like the movie i dont want to watch behind the scenes, Picture and sound? no cause if i dont like the movie I wouldnt be watching it

Last edited by maingon; 11-06-05 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-06-05, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Let's see, I got The Blair Witch Project free a few years ago when I bought Basic Instinct and Total Recall. I didn't pay for it, but I do own it.

I bought Speed 2 as part of the Speed Collector's Pack, but I hadn't seen it yet, so I didn't hate it until after I bought it.

I bought Teen Wolf Too, which is awful, but you have to in order to get Teen Wolf.

I bought RoboCop 3 as part of the Trilogy pack to get the Special Edition Of Robocop and RoboCop 2.

I bought Drawing Flies, because it was a View Askew release, and had a lot of Kevin Smith's actors, and Kevin himself and all that, but the film's a piece of crap.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.