Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 10-04-05, 08:50 AM   #1
Cameron
DVD Talk Legend

Fritz Lang's Scarlet Street Restored by KINO 11.22.05

From Barrie Maxwell

A restoration of Fritz Lang's Scarlet Street (1945) is coming from Kino on November 22nd. It is expected to include audio commentary by David Kalat of All Day Entertainment. Also being released at the same time is Lang's House By the River (1950, with Louis Hayward).
HD-DVD Supporter
Old 10-04-05, 08:57 AM   #2
illennium
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Scarlet Street is not one of Lang's better films, but it's good that Kino is continuing to explore his catalogue.
Old 10-04-05, 09:27 AM   #3
natevines
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, finally a good release. So many crap $1 releases of this, I can't wait to get my hands on a good copy.
Old 10-04-05, 10:55 AM   #4
slop101
DVD Talk Legend

I'd get this just for the commentary alone.

David Kalat has done commentaries for all of Lang's Mabuse dvds and not only is he a treasure trove of great information, he's also very entertaining and never repeats himself. He is easily one of the best commentarians (is that a word?) in the business.
Old 10-04-05, 11:15 AM   #5
chente
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Excellent news. I really like this movie and the only version I have of it is very poor quality.
Old 10-04-05, 11:30 AM   #6
Johnny Zhivago
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Groovy.

Dilauded is pure sunshine wrapped in bacon and delivered straight to your pleasure center by a naked goddess. If I could get my hands on a gallon of it, I would start a new religion. - Cosmosguy
Old 10-04-05, 04:26 PM   #7
gutwrencher
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

All I can say is....
Old 10-04-05, 04:52 PM   #8
Cameron
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101
I'd get this just for the commentary alone.

He is easily one of the best commentarians (is that a word?) in the business.
commentator
HD-DVD Supporter
Old 10-04-05, 07:01 PM   #9
The_Swede

From All Day Entertainment:

Quote:
Fritz Lang buffs will be happy to know I just finished recording a commentary track for Kino's upcoming DVD restoration of Lang's 1945 masterpiece Scarlet Street. You've never seen this movie look this good--they've done it right and this will be a must-have item for all fans of film noir. Look for it later this year.
Old 10-04-05, 08:37 PM   #10
marty888
DVD Talk Legend

Thank you Kino!

Sex is nature's way of providing each and every one of us with a free home entertainment system.

My DVD List at DVD Aficionado
Old 10-04-05, 10:26 PM   #11
kingtopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by illennium
Scarlet Street is not one of Lang's better films, but it's good that Kino is continuing to explore his catalogue.
I disagree. I think its one of his best, and easily one of the best film noirs ever made.
Old 10-05-05, 11:48 AM   #12
devilpants
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kudos to Kino!

"Jeepers you're swell, Johnny..."

The 19th Century in a sense ended with the movies and manifested its preference for a dream world as altogether richer than real life - Marshall McLuhan
Old 10-05-05, 11:58 AM   #13
bboisvert
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron
Also being released at the same time is Lang's House By the River (1950, with Louis Hayward).
This shouldn't be overlooked either -- I do believe this title has never been released on home video in any format. I have an ancient, fuzzy, pretty much unwatchable bootleg of it. I'm looking forward to replacing it.
Old 10-05-05, 12:05 PM   #14
FilmFanSea

Quote:
Originally Posted by illennium
Scarlet Street is not one of Lang's better films
Rebuttal from Dave Kehr at the Chicago Reader:
Quote:
Fritz Lang's most harrowing study of guilt and damnation (1945, 103 min.) is a remake of Jean Renoir's La chienne, with Edward G. Robinson as a quietly suffering bookkeeper who encounters fate in the form of a calculating prostitute (Joan Bennett) and her pimp (Dan Duryea). In many ways the apotheosis of Lang's expressionism, a film that lives in the dark night of the Catholic soul. Strongly recommended.
Kehr's colleague Jonathan Rosenbaum (who has never been shy about his Lang-love) includes the film in the listing of his 1,000 Favorite Films (published in his book Essential Cinema: On the Necessity of Film Canons).
Old 10-05-05, 12:24 PM   #15
Mscott716
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I wish they would look into releasing Lang's Ministry of Fear with Ray Milland, I really enjoyed it when I saw it on TCM.
Old 10-05-05, 12:28 PM   #16
natevines
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mscott716
I wish they would look into releasing Lang's Ministry of Fear with Ray Milland, I really enjoyed it when I saw it on TCM.
Agreed. Universal should definitely start issuing more on their noir line, there's also The Glass Key and a few other great noirs owned by universal not on DVD that I can't think of right now...
Old 10-05-05, 12:33 PM   #17
illennium
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmFanSea
Rebuttal from Dave Kehr at the Chicago Reader:

Kehr's colleague Jonathan Rosenbaum (who has never been shy about his Lang-love) includes the film in the listing of his 1,000 Favorite Films (published in his book Essential Cinema: On the Necessity of Film Canons).
Sure, opinions differ. I generally agree with Pauline Kael over the more detached, analytical critics. Her review of Scarlet Street:

"Fritz Lang directed this American version of Renoir's La Chienne; in the American setting it's a sordid, lowlife melodrama about illicit love, and it never takes root--it's not of Lang's best American movies. (It was originally banned in New York State--that is, denied a license--as "immoral, indecent, corrupt, and tending to incite crime," a judgment that seemed off the wall even then.) Edward G. Robinson is a frustrated, gray-haired cashier married to a nag (Rosalind Ivan); his only pleasure is in painting on Sundays. He falls for a tart (Joan Bennett) and sets her up in a Greenwich Village apartment, on stolen money. But the tart is in love with a lout (Dan Duryea), who beats her. The script, by Dudley Nichols, is heavy-handed, and Lang's emphatic style pounds home the ironies and the murder-plot devices."
Old 10-05-05, 02:08 PM   #18
Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by natevines
Agreed. Universal should definitely start issuing more on their noir line, there's also The Glass Key and a few other great noirs owned by universal not on DVD that I can't think of right now...
I believe they also own the rights to the Alan Ladd/Veronica Lake vehicle The Blue Dahlia, one of the more underrated noirs imo.
Old 10-05-05, 11:18 PM   #19
B5Erik
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is good news. All of the other versions of Scarlet Street currently available are from poor quality prints. I've never seen this movie, but I've heard good things about it. I'll definitely pick this one up.

As for Universal, they've got 3 titles that would make the ultimate 2nd wave for the Universal Noir Collection - Double Indemnity, The Blue Dahlia, and The Glass Key. Great titles that would sell very well, but Universal being Universal they are dragging their feet.

I guess it's true - If you want something done right you've got to do it yourself.
Old 10-06-05, 05:38 AM   #20
Egon's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador
I believe they also own the rights to the Alan Ladd/Veronica Lake vehicle The Blue Dahlia, one of the more underrated noirs imo.
Screenplay by Chandler, right? They could release it to tie-in with The Black Dahlia, but that might just confuse people...
Old 10-19-05, 04:22 PM   #21
Cameron
DVD Talk Legend

the review is up...and way early it seems

Ian Jane Review of Scarlet Street from Kino

HD-DVD Supporter
Old 10-19-05, 06:16 PM   #22
natevines
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really like that cover. Can't wait to get this, probably the most important noir on DVD that I've yet to see.