Reload this Page >

Dabney Coleman IS Buffalo Bill ON DVD [6Sep05]

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 06-27-05, 02:11 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is one of the holy grail DVD sets for me. 26 of the funniest half-hours on television. Max Wright shines in this series. Thank you, Lions Gate!

Old 06-27-05, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the heads-up on Buffalo Bill...definitely a release day pickup for me. I still cannot hear Ray Charles sing "Hit the Road, Jack" without thinking of that show.
Old 06-27-05, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks, I'll be picking this up as well. Have you heard anything on Dabney Coleman's Short Time?
Old 06-27-05, 08:21 AM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Great news...looking forward to this!
Old 06-27-05, 10:15 AM

Thank you, Lions Gate!
Not to really rain on you parade, but given their track record, shouldn't we wait until the product is released to praise them?

I loved this show, but I'm holding back until I read the reviews.

fitprod
Old 06-27-05, 02:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fitprod
Not to really rain on you parade, but given their track record, shouldn't we wait until the product is released to praise them?

I loved this show, but I'm holding back until I read the reviews.

fitprod
I'm praising them for putting up the money for an obscure title which looks to be complete by the description since there were only two short seasons and 26 episodes. Plus, $30. for the complete set is an absolute bargain when you consider the discounts most places will offer.

I rarely see this title mentioned even on 'most wanted' lists. Lions Gate, or any other company could easily have put together a best of single disc to test the waters.

But if the set comes out and the episodes are cut in any way, then I will be right back here slamming Lions Gate.

cracksky
Old 06-27-05, 03:32 PM

Now if we can get the short-lived Slap Maxwell, we'll have all the Dabney Coleman goodness we need.
Old 06-27-05, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This often showed up in lists of TV shows I wanted/didn't think would ever come to DVD. I CANNOT WAIT!!!! This is a must buy for me. A great series!! I was so sad it didn't continue longer.
Old 06-29-05, 09:37 AM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Old 09-06-05, 02:22 PM
Banned

Did anyone get a copy of this yet? I've been hesitant to buy any new TV release until I know for sure that it's complete and that the shows are not from syndicated versions or that music has been replaced or whatever.

I've been looking around for reviews but can't find any.
Old 09-06-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cracksky
Did anyone get a copy of this yet? I've been hesitant to buy any new TV release until I know for sure that it's complete and that the shows are not from syndicated versions or that music has been replaced or whatever.

I've been looking around for reviews but can't find any.
It only lasted the two seasons, so I doubt it ever made it to syndication to get cut. I'd be awfully surprised if they contained "syndicated" cuts since there was no need to make those cuts in the first place.
Old 09-06-05, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07
It only lasted the two seasons, so I doubt it ever made it to syndication to get cut. I'd be awfully surprised if they contained "syndicated" cuts since there was no need to make those cuts in the first place.
Not to be argumentative, but the fact that it lasted only two seasons wouldn't necessarily have precluded it from syndication. I don't remember if this show made it to syndication, but "Bosom Buddies" certainly did, and that, too, lasted only two seasons, if I remember correctly.
Old 09-06-05, 05:12 PM

buffalo bill ran on A&E after its network run. Don't know if those episodes were cut for the cable run.
Old 09-06-05, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Walter Neff
Not to be argumentative, but the fact that it lasted only two seasons wouldn't necessarily have precluded it from syndication. I don't remember if this show made it to syndication, but "Bosom Buddies" certainly did, and that, too, lasted only two seasons, if I remember correctly.
But are they cut up the same for cable runs? And does that count as syndication packages? I thought shows had to reach the magic 100 episode number to be syndicated.
Old 09-06-05, 11:24 PM
Banned

I have all 26 episodes from the A&E cable run and I just checked my tapes. The episodes run around 22:40 to 22:45 each (the first two). They definitely have edits. Plus, the breaks are at the wrong place.

One of the web sites I checked for the DVD set shows the box's running time as 630 minutes which would put the episodes at almost 24 1/2 minutes each. That's a good sign.

Usually, syndicated packages need 65 episodes, so three season of 22 episodes each would send you over.
Old 09-08-05, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am watching the show now and I am on the " Hit the Road Jack" Episode, the name has been changed to " Hit the Road Newdell" and the song is gone! There is a disclamer at the start of the episode that says that the publisher would not give them the rights at any cost and so the scene was removed and that the episode still works, but it needs the music, I will have to dig out my videotape,cause it does not work.

Last edited by movie diva; 09-08-05 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-10-05, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RevKarl
Thanks for the heads-up on Buffalo Bill...definitely a release day pickup for me. I still cannot hear Ray Charles sing "Hit the Road, Jack" without thinking of that show.
MAJOR disappoint, here! Even though I got the set for only $16, I don't know if I would have preordered it if I had known that particular scene was cut.
Old 09-10-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RevKarl
MAJOR disappoint, here! Even though I got the set for only $16, I don't know if I would have preordered it if I had known that particular scene was cut.
You would have given up on two seasons of a great show because of one scene missing? You know, these TV shows will more than likely not be re-released in uncut director's editions. As much as I hate to see anything cut on a TV show, you're just not going to probably ever see that situation rectified.

And, not just speaking in this instance, but in any instance where music is taken out of a show...instead of writing angry letters to the studio that owns the show or not buying the DVD at all (yeah, that will show dem bastards!), here's a novel idea: Why not call/write/complain to the people who own the copyrights to the material not included? Clearly, they were asking too much money, or just flat out refused to let the material to be used. Should that be the studio's fault? Point blame where it belongs here.
Old 09-10-05, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07
You would have given up on two seasons of a great show because of one scene missing? You know, these TV shows will more than likely not be re-released in uncut director's editions. As much as I hate to see anything cut on a TV show, you're just not going to probably ever see that situation rectified...
While I can see your point, if the scene happens to be your favorite moment in the entire series, it's a completely different thing.

To me, it's as if Warner Home Video had (for whatever reason, but let's say plagiarism, just to make it more plausible) cut Donald O'Connor's performance of "Make 'Em Laugh" from Singin' in the Rain...I doubt many people would be saying, "Hey, the rest of the film looks great; You're not going to buy it just because they cut one lousy song?"