Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Old 05-04-16, 09:19 AM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Earthshock is also available in the Cybermen set. I'd still say go with the Revisited set though, since it has Vengeance on Varos and Remembrance of the Daleks also. Unless you find the Cybermen set for really cheap.
Old 05-04-16, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Does the "Earthshock" that's included in the Cybermen and Revisited sets include the SE content from the standalone disc?
Old 05-06-16, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is nuts, why is it so hard to run a few thousand copies of these titles? They already have the master created and all the graphics designed. What are they trying to prove by keeping these out of print?
I would guess that they think that almost everyone who wanted to buy some of the classic range of DVDs will have done so by now. Except a few new fans who want to start collecting, the old die-hards have all got their favorites on hand. So the logic for Warner would be no moremoney spent and the few remaining fans who didn't buy theirs can get the downloads on itunes or the likes.
It sucks for us who like our DVDs but I assume that's a purely economical decision.
Old 05-09-16, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Does the "Earthshock" that's included in the Cybermen and Revisited sets include the SE content from the standalone disc?
I doubt it. From my understanding on the Cybermen set Earthshock is presented on the disc as a special feature. I also don't know if the episodes are presented in their original format. I know that the revisited sets had them edited together as 1 long "movie" and cropped to be widescreen, but those sets also included the original single episodes in their original aspect ratio.

Last edited by flansered; 05-09-16 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-16-16, 12:23 PM

Found this at my local Barnes and Noble this morning. Ended up being $15.74 before taxes. I don't know if they have an exclusive early release for it or if my store just put it out early. Still, $16 seemed like a good price and I got it a week early.

Edited to add: It is an early release for Barnes and Noble, and it's cheaper than Amazon.

Last edited by flansered; 05-16-16 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-16-16, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got an early release copy as well. Just watched the first episode and I must say the BBC were VERY lazy with the reconstruction. About 20 slides for 23 minutes of screen time! Whole minutes of dialogue on one image at times! The Loose Cannon one was so much better. I wish they had bought the rights to that and put it on the DVD. Can't wait to see the 'real' episodes though. I had seen the one on the Lost in Time box set but not this newly found one. How exciting... Just like when I got my hands on Enemy of the World
Old 05-20-16, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just finished The Underwater Menace yesterday. I know this story is vilified by fans (even Pat Troughton dismissed it) but I loved it nonetheless. A good fable about overuse of power and wrongful beliefs and nostalgia for glories past. The sets looked nice and the costumes as well. If we keep in mind it was a kid's show and not the adult version that we would love it to be. I'm sure children of the era enjoyed it quite a lot, with the water ballet and the weird music and the over the top mad scientist!
I just wish the BBC had done a better job for those two reconstructions (ep 1& 4). Very lazy work as I mentionned previously. In Ep4, there's even a still that stays on for over a minute when in the dialogue we can clearly see that the action has moved on to a totally different location with different characters than the one we see on screen. Lame.
Otherwise it was fun to see the two surviving episodes. Not our first choice of story we would have hoped for returned episodes-wise, but still a good, fun tale.
Makes us wish more would turn up. Although very unlikely after that omnirumour has deflated back to the usual 'let's hope'.
Old 05-20-16, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69
Just finished The Underwater Menace yesterday. I know this story is vilified by fans (even Pat Troughton dismissed it) but I loved it nonetheless. A good fable about overuse of power and wrongful beliefs and nostalgia for glories past. The sets looked nice and the costumes as well. If we keep in mind it was a kid's show and not the adult version that we would love it to be. I'm sure children of the era enjoyed it quite a lot, with the water ballet and the weird music and the over the top mad scientist!
I actually sort of enjoyed the special effects work done on this story and "The Web Planet."

Yes, it's crudely done, but it also puts me in mind of silent films like "A Trip to the Moon." There's a nice surreal quality to it if you can look beyond limitations they were working with.

I'll also go out on a limb and say that I think classic DW is unfairly maligned for its poor special effects. I mean, shit, it was a tv series filmed on a tight schedule and a BBC budget, almost every story featured a new location pulled from either Earth's history or an invented science fiction location, and some kind of aliens or monsters. And it was frequently more ambitious in scope than classic Star Trek, or even TNG. Sure you can make fun of the dinosaur puppets in "Invasion of the Dinosaurs," but Star Trek never went there.
Old 05-23-16, 08:47 AM

It was also made on a much smaller budget than the Trek shows. They probably spent more on 1 episode of the original Trek than they did on 8 half hours of Who.
Old 05-26-16, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A lot of people always forget when judging the Classic era that it was a kids' show so the special effects and sets and costumes were quite all right (even sometimes impressive) for that kind of show. Done on such a small budget as someone pointed out.
Web Planet and the likes are beautiful in my eternal inner kids' eyes.

Plus I still love rubber suit monsters, shaky sets and painted mattes. It is somewhat more 'magical' for me than hyper-realism they try to achieve these days. Yes Ray Harryhausen's creatures are obviously 'not real' in his films but they are certainly believable and totally work in this frame. To me, cinema (and tv) are about illusion and spectacle and tall tales.
To friends who keep pointing out that there is no sound in space so Star Wars isn't realist I always mimic the X-Wing vs Tie Fighters battle at the end of Episode IV. Somewhat without sound it just isn't as impressive. So fuck realism I say!
Old 06-13-16, 01:19 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

These DVD titles are listed in the latest Out-Of-Print Titles (recently discovered) thread.

Doctor Who: Greatest Show In The Galaxy
Doctor Who: Planet Of Evil
Doctor Who: Revenge Of The Cybermen
Doctor Who: Robot
Doctor Who: Spearhead From Space
Doctor Who: Terror Of The Zygons
Doctor Who: The Dominators
Doctor Who: The Infinite Quest
Doctor Who: The Masque Of Mandragora
Doctor Who: The Movie
Old 06-13-16, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

It's the end. But the moment has been prepared for.
Old 06-13-16, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
It's the end. But the moment has been prepared for.
Cheap complete season sets!
Old 06-14-16, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Streaming-only is far more likely.
Old 06-14-16, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,387 Likes on 1,018 Posts

I can only hope, seems the only chance for me to pick up the few singles I still need.

Originally Posted by mythmaker18
Streaming-only is far more likely.
This does seem more likely, but they've had some on Netflix for a while but only random episodes from each Doctor.
Old 06-14-16, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dream on! BBC and 'Cheap' don't add up somehow! I agree with the previous post and it will likely be 'streaming only'. Which sucks imho. But the classic era of DW is surely not Game of Thrones or Walking Dead sales-wise.
Old 06-14-16, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69
Dream on! BBC and 'Cheap' don't add up somehow!
Well, not in the USA...
Old 06-19-16, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Used some birthday money to pick up Underwater Menace and then I also found a copy of The Rescue/The Romans that was less than $40 so I splurged on that.

Maybe I'll manage a complete collection after all if I keep finding OOP titles at decent prices.
Old 06-28-16, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

These DVD titles are listed in the latest Out-Of-Print Titles (recently discovered) thread.

Doctor Who: Greatest Show In The Galaxy
Doctor Who: Planet Of Evil
Doctor Who: Revenge Of The Cybermen
Doctor Who: Robot
Doctor Who: Spearhead From Space
Doctor Who: Terror Of The Zygons
Doctor Who: The Dominators
Doctor Who: The Infinite Quest
Doctor Who: The Masque Of Mandragora
Doctor Who: The Movie
I glanced distractly when you posted that but finally had time to look at the list and was amazed that Zygons is already OOP. It was the last release that completed the classic series on DVD (bar missing episodes) after over a decade! The Movie also OOP! The only 8th Doctor DVD! Sad days indeed.
Old 06-28-16, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

The party's over.
Old 07-05-16, 11:00 AM

Granted Spearhead and the 8th Doctor movie are still available in the Revisited sets. The Spearhead blu is also still available, and each release has special features exclusive special features to that release.

Anyone hoping for season sets or sets of each Doctors run are going to be disappointed. At this point it'll only be streaming. Hopefully any future episodes that are found will still merit a physical release.
Old 07-13-16, 03:29 PM

According to the Out of Print thread, Revelation of the Daleks is OOP.
Old 07-13-16, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate to be one of those people, but I've thought about buying some of the valuable ones and using them to trade for the ones I need.
Old 07-15-16, 02:39 PM

Don't be. There's nothing wrong with flipping something to fund your collection. I found a copy of Ghostlight for under $5 at Moviestop about 8 months ago. It went straight to ebay and I used the profit to get the Capaldi seasons on blu-ray.
Old 08-05-16, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For those interested The TV Movie will get a bluray release somewhere this fall...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.