Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-05, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Robert Sloman passes away

From Outpost Gallifrey:

Robert Sloman, who wrote four classic Doctor Who episodes during the Jon Pertwee era of the series -- "The Green Death," "The Time Monster," Pertwee's final story "Planet of the Spiders" and, under the pseudonym Guy Leopold (together with Barry Letts), "The Daemons" -- has died, according to an obituary in today's Guardian written by Letts. Born in Oldham, he became an actor and playwright as well as an employee of the Sunday Times before writing for television. As Letts states in his obit, "As producer, I asked Bob, a friend, to join me in developing an idea I'd had. His exuberant imagination made our story sessions a delight. The resulting serial, The Daemons (under the nom de plume of Guy Leopold), was for several years voted the best ever Dr Who story. ... Bob left the Sunday Times in 1974 and took over as wholesale distributor of all the Sunday papers, based in Burgess Hill, Sussex. Sailing now became a major part of his life, and when he retired, a second home in Spain meant a share in a boat in summer. His wife and children survive him."
I recently watched the Green Death on DVD and forgot what a wonderful story it was.

Mr. Sloman will be missed.
Old 12-19-05, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Region 1 The Complete First Series DVD Cover

From the wonderful TVShowsonDVD.com:

And some screenshots from the R1 set are here at this guy's Blog

Last edited by The Valeyard; 12-19-05 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-05-06, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Outpost Gallifrey, the cover for the North American version of The Beginning:

Old 01-05-06, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I posted this on the first page earlier this morning (well, a different angle of it at any rate). I guess I should have added it here as well. Forgot the threads don't bump up when you edit something.

Looking forward to this release!
Old 01-06-06, 07:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll just be happy when all the online retailers finally get around to listing the new series boxset for preorder. Less than 6 weeks to go until release day!
Old 01-08-06, 05:10 AM

'The Beggining' DVD looks great, can't wait for it's release. By the way I'm new and what a relief it is to find a Dr Who dedicated section here! Hello all!
Have you seen the NEW Cybermen? Here's a pic -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/...10/26933.shtml
Old 01-09-06, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, Cyberleader. Welcome to the Forum....and the Doctor Who Thread!
Old 01-09-06, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Complete Series 1 - Region 1 Release (?)

Well, this is fairly enlightening news from the Outpost Gallifrey Boards:

Originally Posted by Shaun Lyon
Re: New Series DVD Release [US - 2006]

I've been told that this release is still pending and has not been officially scheduled yet for February 14, despite earlier claims. In fact, Warner Home Video is still not listing it, though they do list the March release of "The Beginning".

and from Steve Manfred...Who DVD Sage:

Originally Posted by Steve Manfred
Re: New Series DVD Release [US - 2006]

I posted this in the US Broadcast thread, and I'll repost it here too.

Although they announced it in some quarters, they have yet to make their "announcement to the trade" as they put it, which is probably why you can't pre-order it yet and such. I was told that would be happening shortly before Christmas, and then it didn't, and then again that it would happen last week, and again it didn't. I know that the preparatory work on their end was complete quite some time ago, so if there is a delay here, it can only be coming from either Warner's end of things or perhaps there is indeed a broadcast deal in the works at last. Now that the year has turned over and companies are working on fresh budgets, and now that they have a finished David Tennant episode to look at, perhaps some new conversations are taking place. I stress _perhaps_. It could just as easily be some supply issue on the manufacturing end... if indeed there is an issue at all. I still haven't heard back from them yet officially... I'm just educated guessing here.

Sigh.
Old 01-10-06, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 01-10-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's Official!

From TVShowsonDVD.com:

Doctor Who - The Doctor calls in sick - Season 1 delayed
Posted by Gord Lacey 1/10/2006

Earlier today we received a report that Doctor Who may be delayed from the planned Feb 14 release date. We checked with the BBC PR company, and they checked with BBC and were told that there were "complications" with the set, and it wouldn't meet the release date. This doesn't surprise us since nothing with this release has gone according to every other BBC title. The release was announced, yet the Warner Home Video (their distributor) press site had nothing about it for weeks, then once it was added to the press site it still wasn't available to purchase. It could be that the delay was simply caused by the slow process of getting the title information out to retailers, or it could have been delayed due to ongoing negotiations with a US broadcaster (the series hasn't been shown in the US yet). We called Warner Canada to find out if the title will be delayed as well, and while Warner Canada hadn't received a delay notice, they expected to receive one given the delay in the US.

Thanks to Phil Benfield and Rich Kirkpatrick for tipping us off about the initial delay report on Steve Manfred's Doctor Who Video FAQ page.
Old 01-11-06, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This smokes the pole. I've been eagerly awaiting this release. The business sense is sound, I suppose: televising in the US first results in broadcast dollars and may translate to more DVD sales in the future. However, I'm still annoyed.

Well, at least I have the full R2 DVDs that I downloaded to hold me over. However, I didn't download the fifth disc so I'd have that to look forward to. Ah well.

There's a Canadian TV show which just had its third season premier tonight. However, they, too, are holding off on the DVD sets for Canadian and US markets in hopes of broadcast agreements in the US. (The logic is that people in the US can readily import the R1 release from Canadian retailers.) As a result, both Canada and the US misses out. Very annoying. (The show is The Collector, and it sounds similar to Brimstone in a way.)
Old 01-12-06, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From TVShowsonDVD

Doctor Who - Reason for delay explained - Sci-Fi Channel picks up series
Posted by Gord Lacey
1/12/2006
Two days ago we posted news that the February 14 release of Doctor Who had been pulled from the schedule, and today we know why; Sci-Fi Channel has picked up the series and will begin airing it later this year. BBC has moved the release date to July 4, 2006 to gain more publicity for the box set, and to allow Sci-Fi to air the series before they release it on DVD.

Amazon.ca lists the set for sale in Canada, shipping on Feb 14. The series has already been shown in Canada, so BBC may release it in the north on the previously scheduled date. You may order the set from Amazon.ca for $87.49 CAN (approx $75 US). You can read more information about the Sci-Fi deal on the BBC website.
Old 01-12-06, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From BBC:

Doctor Who checks into SCI FI
SCI FI Channel screen first series Fridays at 9pm from March.

SCI FI Channel and BBC Worldwide Americas announced today a major licensing deal for the first series of the latest Doctor Who adventures.

The 13-part drama is about a mysterious time-travelling adventurer known simply as "The Doctor" (Christopher Eccleston) and his companion, Rose Tyler (Billie Piper). The Doctor and Rose risk death and danger, battling aliens and monsters.

The deal, brokered by Lisa Hofer, Director Co-Production & Sales, BBC Worldwide Americas, grants SCI FI Channel the first run rights for series one with an option for series two. The award-winning series will premiere on SCI FI beginning in March, airing Friday nights at 9.00pm.

Russell T Davies, Head Writer and Executive Producer told us: "The Doctor's made all sorts of journeys in Time and Space, but this is one of his most exciting yet! I'm a huge fan of the SCI FI Channel, and I'm delighted that Doctor Who is appearing on a channel that supports and enhances the entire genre."

"With its rich history of imaginative storytelling, Doctor Who is a true sci-fi classic," stated Thomas P. Vitale, SCI FI's Senior Vice President, Programming & Original Movies. "We're excited to add the show to our lineup."

Commenting on the deal Candace Carlisle, Senior Vice President, BBC Worldwide Americas, said: “The new production has fantastic storylines and production values and has already gained an iconic status around the world. SCI FI Channel is the perfect home for the show and will introduce Doctor Who to a whole new generation of fans in the US.”

In addition, BBC Video has moved the US release date of the DVD from February 2006 to July 4, 2006 to capitalize on the exposure from the TV broadcast. As part of the deal, BBC Video and SCI FI Channel have agreed to work together on joint marketing promotions to support the brand launch.

Burton Cromer, Vice President, Consumer Products, BBC Worldwide Americas said: “We are delighted to be working with SCI FI Channel on the launch of this exciting new take on Doctor Who. The additional marketing support from SCI FI, as well their ability to reach such a broad audience base, made moving the release date an easy decision.”

Executive Produced by Russell T Davies (lead writer) and Julie Gardner, the first series of Doctor Who attracted huge ratings and received critical acclaim when it aired on BBC ONE in March 2005.

Last edited by evenswr; 01-12-06 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-12-06, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is great news!
Old 01-14-06, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is the Beginning DVD set going to be 3 DVD cases in a box? (Like Lost in Time) or is it a fold out thingy?
Old 01-15-06, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by turborobb
Is the Beginning DVD set going to be 3 DVD cases in a box? (Like Lost in Time) or is it a fold out thingy?

It's going to be just like the Lost in Time set. One case with 1 DVD and the other case with 2 DVDs.
Old 01-17-06, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe they aren't holding back on the 2005 series release in Canada after all? It's not only available at Amazon.ca, it's currently number one on their best sellers list. http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...445999-8248031

$75.
Old 01-17-06, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah. The Canadian release is a definate GO for Valentine's Day.

We don't get ours til the 4th of July.

Sheesh! The way they schedule these releases, they must think Doctor Who fans don't have anything better to do on holidays.

Well......I don't at any rate.
Old 01-18-06, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Canadian Release DELAYED - Now a March 7 release

From Gallifrey One:

Amazon Canada today has listed a change in the release schedule for the DVD release of the Complete Series One Boxed Set. As of yesterday, the target release date was February 14; today, Amazon lists it as March 7. There is currently no word on the reason for the possible delay, or any confirmation other than on Amazon that it has indeed been rescheduled.
Old 01-21-06, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shot of what the interior of the Complete Series set looks like:

http://home.comcast.net/~smanfred/2005BoxSetInt.jpg
Old 01-26-06, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

R2 News: Genesis of the Daleks & Inferno!

From Outpost Gallifrey:

BBC Worldwide today confirmed the DVD releases in the UK of Genesis of the Daleks starring Tom Baker and Inferno starring Jon Pertwee. "Genesis" is listed by the official Doctor Who website as being due out 10 April, though some retailers are suggesting 27 March, while "Inferno" is due out 29 May.

Genesis of the Daleks will include commentary by Tom Baker, Elisabeth Sladen, Peter Miles (Nyder) and director David Maloney; "Genesis of a Classic," a 62-minute featurette looking at the making of the story, produced by Ian Levine and edited by Adi Denney, and featuring interviews with Baker, Sladen, Miles, producer Philip Hinchcliffe, executive producer Barry Letts, script editor Terrance Dicks, actors Guy Siner, James Garbutt, Dennis Chinnery, Roy Skelton, Cy Town, John Scott Martin and Michael Wisher, BBC sound person Dick Mills, lighting director Duncan Brown, visual effects designer Peter Day and makeup artist Sylvia James; "The Dalek Tapes," a 53-minute documentary produced by John Kelly, "which looks at the history of the Daleks and covers all of their appearances in the classic series" and includes rare Dalek clips and classic interviews and is narrated by Terry Molloy; a 7-minute featurette about Doctor Who models; a 6-minute continuity compilation which includes voice-overs; production text and photo gallery. Also included are PDF versions of the 1976 Doctor Who Annual and the Radio Times billings for the original transmission.

Inferno will feature commentary by Nicholas Courtney, John Levene, script editor Terrance Dicks and producer/director Barry Letts; "Can You Hear the Earth Scream?," a 35-minute "making of" documentary which includes interviews with Dicks, Letts, Levene, Courtney, Caroline John, Ian Fairbairn and stunt arranger Derek Ware; "The UNIT Family (Part One)", a 36-minute documentary featuring a look at the first half of the "UNIT family" from the Third Doctor's era with interviews with Letts, Courtney, Levene, Dicks, John, Ware and UNIT Creator Derrick Sherwin; "Visual Effects Promo Film," an excerpt from an early sales pitch from the BBC Visual Effects department featuring rare Doctor Who footage; "The Pertwee Years Intro," a short intro by Jon Pertwee originally included on BBC Video's "The Pertwee Years"; a Jon Pertwee radio announcement; a PDF of the 1971 Doctor Who Annual; Radio Times billings; plus photo gallery and production notes.

Articles on the restoration work are now available at the Restoration Team site on both Genesis of the Daleks and Inferno.
Nice!
Old 01-26-06, 12:49 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Great thread. Thanks for the info. Can't wait to see it on Scifi in March.
Old 01-26-06, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is there a chance that the US dvd set of the new Doctor Who will be any different than the Canadian one? If there's likely no change in content, I'll probably go with the Canadian set since I do not have Sci Fi Channel.
Old 01-26-06, 02:57 PM
Dai

From what I understand, all Doctor Who DVD's, whether they be R1, R2 or R4, will have exactly the same content.

I think it was BBCWW that made that decision a little while ago.
Old 01-26-06, 02:59 PM
Dai

BTW, I'm not sure if this works or not, but this is the last working coupon that was posted for amazon.ca:

MAPJANNCSAVE - $10 OFF $50 (Expires May 31, new customers only, VISA only)

I don't know if it's expired or not, but it's worth a go.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.