Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-05, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great news today for Doctor Who fans with this news and the Doctor Who spinoff series Torchwood.
Old 10-19-05, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Region 2 News: The Beginning Box Set Delayed

From Outpost Gallifrey

Beginning Box Delay
DVD
October 19, 2005
According to 2Entertain and BBC Worldwide, the DVD boxed set release of Doctor Who: The Beginning, featuring the stories "An Unearthly Child," "The Daleks" and "The Edge of Destruction," has been delayed to January 30 due to manufacturing issues. The set was previously announced as being released on January 9.
Old 10-21-05, 08:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^Oh yeah, I'll definitely be hitting up amazon.ca for this in February.
Old 11-07-05, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

R2: The Beginning Box Set Extras

From Gallifrey One:

The Beginning DVD Set
DVD / Video
November 6, 2005
The British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) has issued details of the DVD extras for January's DVD boxset, The Beginning. In addition to the three Doctor Who stories "An Unearthly Child," "The Daleks" and "The Edge of Destruction," the following materials are included:

n/a DOCTOR WHO THE BEGINNING DVD EXTRAS TAPE1
00:02:35:01 DOCTOR WHO
00:03:49:00 THE WEB OF CAVES
00:03:40:14 THE PITCH OF FEAR
00:05:52:20 THE CORRIDOR SKETCH
00:00:17:11 DOCTOR WHO THE BEGINNING AN UNEARTHLY CHILD
00:00:17:17 DOCTOR WHO THE BEGINNING THE DALEKS
00:00:17:12 DOCTOR WHO THE BEGINNING THE EDGE OF DESTRUCTION
00:29:21:07 OVER THE EDGE THE STORY OF THE EDGE OF DESTRUCTION
00:53:48:11 DOCTOR WHO: ORIGINS
00:17:09:24 CREATION OF THE DALEKS

n/a DOCTOR WHO THE BEGINNING DVD EXTRAS TAPE 2
00:06:01:13 AN UNEARTHLY CHILD PHOTO GALLERY
00:05:30:21 THE DALEKS PHOTO GALLERY
00:05:05:11 THE EDGE OF DESTRUCTION PHOTO GALLERY
00:10:13:04 INSIDE THE SPACESHIP THE STORY OF TARDIS
00:31:22:24 DOCTOR WHO MARCO POLO
00:12:19:15 MASTERS OF SOUND
Old 11-10-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

R2: More on The Beginnings Box Set

From Outpost Gallifrey:

More on The Beginning DVD

The latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine has further details of January's The Beginning UK DVD boxed set, in addition to the information already reported on Outpost Gallifrey. The pilot episode will appear in 25-minute form, as well as the complete and unedited 36 minutes of footage, retakes and all. There will be a feature ('The Theme Music Video') allowing viewers to experience the original theme arrangement in mono, stereo and 5.1 surround sound. There are commentaries by Verity Lambert, Carole Ann Ford and William Russell on 'An Unearthly Child' (episode 1) and by Waris Hussein, Carole Ann Ford and William Russell on 'The Firemaker' (An Unearthly Child episode 4). Christopher Barry and Verity Lambert do the commentary on 'The Survivors' (The Daleks 2), Barry, Russell and Ford on 'The Ambush' (The Daleks 4), and Russell, Ford and Richard Martin on 'The Rescue' (The Daleks 7). All five commentaries are moderated by Gary Russell. The 'Marco Polo' feature listed at the BBFC is a 30-minute reconstruction using soundtrack and telesnaps. There will also be PDFs of Radio Times listings and an Arabic soundtrack option for 'The Brink of Disaster' (The Edge of Destruction 2).
Old 11-11-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

R2: The Beginning Box Set Cover

Here ya go.
Old 11-22-05, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Review is up for The Complete Series at DVDTimes.co.uk:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=59298
Old 11-23-05, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

R1 News: The Beginning Box Set - 3/28/06

From TVshowsondvd.com:

Doctor Who - We Finally Get To Go Back To The Beginning: Date, Cost, More!
Posted by David Lambert

It was almost two years ago, back in January 2004, that we first reported that Doctor Who - The Beginning was in the works:

• Certain to be the highlight of this report is word of Doctor Who - The Beginning box set, containing An Unearthly Child (Story # 001, aka "100,000 BC"), The Daleks (Story # 002, aka "The Mutants", "The Dead Planet") and The Edge of Destruction (Story # 003, aka "Inside The Spaceship", "Beyond The Sun"), all starring William Hartnell.

Now the BBC and Warner Home Video have informed us that this will finally see the light of day on March 28th. Cost on this is $49.98 SRP.

The 3-DVD set is fully restored, naturally, and will be loaded with extras. The five hours of feature content covers the first three adventures that our favorite Time Lord ever took, which we have descriptions of below. We'll be back as soon as we can with details about the bonus material and full sized cover art, so stay tuned!

"An Unearthly Child" - Two teachers follow a mysterious student home to a police box and the Doctor takes them all on an excursion back to 200,000 BC.?
"The Daleks" - The TARDIS lands on the dead planet Skaro, where the Doctor, Ian, Barbara and Susan explore a deserted city inhabited by the notorious Daleks!?
"The Edge of Destruction" - An explosion aboard the TARDIS triggers irrational feelings of aggression, paranoia and despair.

And the Restoration Team has put up their usual look into the making of this set at:

Doctor Who: The Beginning

Woo Hoo!!!!

Last edited by The Valeyard; 02-22-11 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Imageshack is retarded!
Old 11-30-05, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From DavisDVD:

American fans of Dr. Who finally will get their first official look at the new U.K. show when BBC Video releases Doctor Who: The Complete First Series on February 14th, 2006. This latest incarnation of the venerable British sci-fi series stars Christoper Eccleston as the Time Lord. The DVD set will include all thirteen first-season episodes presented in anamorphic widescreen and brand new Dolby Digital 5.1 mixes. Extras will include cast & crew audio commentaries (including Billie Piper, John Barrowman, Russell T. Davies, Mark Gatiss and Simon Callow), behind-the-scenes footage and interviews, a BBC interview with Eccleston and a first look at the upcoming episode "The Christmas Invasion" starring David Tennant as the new Doctor. Retail will be $99.98.
Is it just me, or is this set heavily overpriced?
Old 11-30-05, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Toben
From DavisDVD:

All I can say is that better be the MSRP. No way am I paying $100 for 13 episodes.

The trend of ripping off fans of certain Sci-Fi series continues.
Old 11-30-05, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow. HBO pricing. Well, this is BBC Worldwide. Their DVD pricing tends to be on the expensive side.

Ahhhhh. I love being a fanboy!
Old 11-30-05, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That does sounds quite high. The MSRP for the Key to Time season is $99.98.
Old 11-30-05, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Steve Manfred's Doctor Who Video FAQ page notes a few additional details about the R1 new series boxset :

The disc contents will be identical to those of the similar box set released in the UK on November 21, 2005 (though probably without an authoring fault that crept into one of the UK discs).
The packaging and cover art will be different from that used for the UK set, and will most likely be similar to that used in the box sets we’ve seen in the classic series range like The Key to Time. The individual discs within the set will not be sold seperately.
Old 11-30-05, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Two things have me on the fence about purchasing the current R2 set: 1) the price and 2) the bulky and dodgy (according to some reports) packaging. Based on the above supposition that the packaging may be more traditional, I may wait and buy the R1 US version. Oh, the dilemma!

Actually, one more thing to consider: PAL speed-up vs. NTSC. Is it a factor with the conversion?
Old 12-01-05, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

First page all updated and pretty looking.
Old 12-02-05, 09:03 AM

Actually, one more thing to consider: PAL speed-up vs. NTSC. Is it a factor with the conversion?
Nope, not a consideration in this case. PAL speedup only affects filmed series. The new Doctor Who is still shot on videotape. They just run it through some post-production filters to make it look like film.

PAL to NTSC conversion, however, should be a concern if you're watching on an NTSC telly. Yes, the DVD player can do a decent conversion, but you'll get a much better NTSC picture from the upcoming R1 set, and as it's going to probably cost about the same as the UK set, and likely come in more consumer-friendly packaging (and without the aforementioned disc glitch), I can see no good reason to import the UK set.
Old 12-02-05, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The lack of PAL speed-up is good to know. I just didn't want to hear Eccelston and Piper speaking more slowly than I got used to or the music tempo changed, etc. I am one of the weird ones that notices the speed-up. (I only buy PAL stuff if it's not available in R1 or if the special features or OAR outweigh the speed-up.)

Thanks for the additional info about the likelihood of a better picture from the NTSC picture on an NTSC television. I didn't realize that would be a factor. The authoring problem has a workaround ("Play All"), but I don't like it, of course. The packaging is something I could live with due to the coolness factor of it, but I don't like the idea of such a huge box with little value--not to mention the problems that people have voiced (scratched discs off their spindles, holders coming unglued, and the fastener no longer working).

That said, I'm going to try to be patient and wait for the specs on the R1 US set. THANKS!
Old 12-02-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVDude!
That said, I'm going to try to be patient and wait for the specs on the R1 US set. THANKS!

The specs for the R1 will be the exact same specs ported over from the R2. The only difference (more than likely) would be the packaging (and of course NTSC).

Other than that, we're getting what they got overseas.
Old 12-02-05, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Toben

While it does sound kind of expensive, it's in perfectly in line with - actually, relatively cheaper than - the other Doctor Who DVD releases of the older episodes. Those are MSRP $25 (for the recently released ones), and can be generally be bought for around $17-18, for only 100 minutes of material plus extras. The boxset of the new series costs 4 times as much, but contains about 6 times as much material (13 episodes at 45 minutes each = 585 minutes), plus it contains a decent amount of extras too (thirteen 13-14 minute episodes of Dr. Who Confidential is nothing to sneeze at).

Also, when you consider that the DVDs of the old show are of episodes that have been aired repeatedly in the US (regardless of the fact that they've been carefully restored and remastered and have nice extras), whereas this is a box set of episodes that haven't aired in the US yet (and there might even be some US Doctor Who fans who haven't seen them!), you could argue it's better value from that perspective, too.

And finally, considering that the new series has not aired on the TV in the US, they probably expect a rather low number of sales since it will pretty much just sell to the existing fanbase, and is priced accordingly to make up for that. (I do believe that if they'd just gotten a TV deal, the new series would have picked up a lot of fans.)

I'm not really trying to defend BBC's pricing, which is high, but just pointing out that this is a relatively good deal even at $100, when compared to the rest of the Doctor Who line of DVDs.

--Scott M.
Old 12-05-05, 11:48 AM

Doctor Who Megaset?

I bumped into this ad on Amazon for a "Doctor Who Mega Collection", apparently a collection of all the US DVDs through the end of 2005.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

It's not listed for sale and no price is given, but the release date is Dec 6, 2005. The idea is wasted on me since I've been buying the discs as they've been released. But this might be a cool deal for any fans waiting for a price drop, if it is really released.

Here's Amazon's info in case the listing disappears:

Format: Ntsc, Academy
Region: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only. Read more about DVD formats.)

Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
Number of discs: 27
DVD Release Date: December 6, 2005
DVD Features:
Available Subtitles: English
Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo)
Includes:
The Aztecs (Ep. 6)
The Dalek Invasion of Earth (Ep. 10)
The Lost In Time Collection
The Tomb of the Cybermen (Ep. 37)
The Mind Robber (Ep. 45)
Seeds of Death (Ep. 48)
Spearhead from Space (Ep. 51)
The Claws of Axos (Ep. 57)
The Three Doctors (Ep. 65)
Carnival of Monsters (Ep. 66)
The Green Death (Ep. 69)
The Ark in Space (Ep. 76)
Pyramids of Mars (Ep. 82)
The Robots of Death (Ep. 90)
The Talons of Weng-Chiang (Ep. 91)
Horror of Fang Rock (Ep. 92)
The Key to Time Giftset
City of Death (Ep.105)
The Leisure Hive (Ep. 110)
The Visitation (Ep. 120)
Earthshock (Ep. 122)
The Five Doctors
Resurrection of the Daleks (Ep. 134)
The Caves of Androzani (Ep. 136)
Vengeance on Varos (Ep. 139)
The Two Doctors, The (Ep. 141)
Remembrance of the Daleks (Ep. 152)
Ghost Light (Ep. 157)
The Curse of Fenric (Ep. 158)
Please see individual titles for complete list of features
ASIN: B000CEV6XE
Old 12-05-05, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by smcguire
While it does sound kind of expensive, it's in perfectly in line with - actually, relatively cheaper than - the other Doctor Who DVD releases of the older episodes.
Well argued.

Oh, and don't forget, I'm a fanboy, and I'll just buy it anyway, regardless.

Sad, that.
Old 12-05-05, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Watch this space.

Gotta love that release date.
INSERT TIME TRAVEL JOKE HERE.
Old 12-05-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by evenswr
Gotta love that release date.
INSERT TIME TRAVEL JOKE HERE.

I'll go back tomorrow and pick it up yesterday.
Old 12-05-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What's highly annoying about the placeholder listing on Amazon is that someone has uploaded two "customer images" which show the R2 set. There has been nothing released stating that the US R1 set will have the same TARDIS box. However, there it is on Amazon.
Old 12-05-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVDude!
What's highly annoying about the placeholder listing on Amazon is that someone has uploaded two "customer images" which show the R2 set. There has been nothing released stating that the US R1 set will have the same TARDIS box. However, there it is on Amazon.
I actually clicked the link that indicates that the picture is "inappropriate," which is probably supposed to be considered synonymous with "sexually explicit."

Last edited by evenswr; 12-05-05 at 02:07 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.