Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Old 09-27-07, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
R2 News: K9 & Company - 2008

From Outpost Gallifrey:

K9 and Company for early 2008
DVD and Video
September 27, 2007 • Posted By Chuck Foster
Phoenix Film and Television Productions have announced on their website that K9 and Company is slated for release early next year. Phoenix Productions produce special features for "Classic" Doctor Who DVD releases.
Phoenix Film and Television have been commissioned to produce several special feature documentaries for classic Doctor Who releases plus the long awaited "K9 and Company" all for DVD release later this year and early next year respectively.

The content of the extras must remain under wraps for the moment but Phoenix will be producing 9 documentaries in total spanning several releases throughout 2007 and 2008.

"It is a very exciting project!" explains Phoenix head of Production Rohan Latchman, "It's an opportunity to really delve into such a classic TV classic and try and come up with something different." "The new show is so high end and full of spectacular special effects, but classic Doctor Who offered all in involved so many challenges on a weekly basis to keep the show fresh and inventive and I'm really looking forward to being involved in such an exciting project!"
Old 09-28-07, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts
I know not dvd related, but I ran across this and figured viewers of this thread would care most:

http://armageddontheseries.dyndns.or...inaction01.avi

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/9223/
Old 10-10-07, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

R1 News: Torchwood Series 1 Update

From TVShowsonDVD.com

Torchwood - Date Change For Doctor Who Spin-Off; Box Art To Be Chosen By Fans

BBC Calls USA Release 'Season 1' instead of 'Series 1'
Posted by David Lambert
10/10/2007

A bit over a month ago we reported on the extras for Torchwood on DVD, and confirmed already-reported info concerning the 7-disc set's cost of $79.98 SRP, specs and release date of January 8th. Warner and the BBC hadn't officially announced it yet, though, but today they are preparing to do just that.

In the official announcement, though, the release date will move a couple of weeks, to January 22nd. All the other details and extras remain the same, but adding this studio description to the mix we find there's a slight title revision, too:

The highly anticipated spin-off from the new Doctor Who, Torchwood: The Complete First Season blazes its way to DVD. Separate from the government, outside the police, beyond the United Nations, Torchwood sets its own rules. Led by the enigmatic, ever watchful Captain Jack Harkness, the Torchwood team delves into the unknown and fights the impossible. Everyone who works for Torchwood is young. Some say that's because it's a new science. Others say it's because they die young.

As you can see, this USA release will be called "The Complete 1st Season," instead of the British term "Series 1" (in the U.K., a "series" refers to a single year, or season, of a show, rather than the entire run of a program like Americans are used to using the term). We've noticed this trend more and more often on USA releases of British shows, and we get e-mails from readers trying to correct us and tell us to label it "Series" instead of "Season". It's not our choice, folks; we just report what the studios give us.

But fans WILL have a choice in picking the cover art for this release! The studio will soon launch a campaign allowing fans to vote online for their favorite of two DVD covers. We don't have the details on this yet, but you'll probably hear about it when they're ready: the DVD cover art poll will be promoted by online and broadcast advertising. So stay tuned for more word on that!

Copyright 2001-2007 TVShowsOnDVD.com
Old 10-15-07, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

News on the voting: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Tor...-Art-Poll/8264

Link for voting: http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/262/giveaway.jsp

Not sure which one I'm going to choose. I like the one with the obolisque in the background, but I wish it didn't have the white banner.
Old 10-15-07, 04:26 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The camera's over here, Jack. Hello?
Old 10-16-07, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I voted for Cover A. It looks good to me.
Old 10-26-07, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I preordered my Doctor Who series 2 weeks ago. And its just about 11 more days til its release! WHOO!!
Old 10-30-07, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Winning cover art for Torchwood per BBCA:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Tor...1-Box-Art/8356
Old 10-30-07, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yah! I voted for that one!
Old 10-30-07, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The DVDTalk Review of the Third Series:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=31196

EDIT: The first three Threads are UPDATED!!

Last edited by The Valeyard; 11-01-07 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-12-07, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Extras from the upcoming (and untitled) Silurians/Sea-Devils/Warriors of the Deep box set:

DOCTOR WHO AND THE SILURIANS 89m 33s
00:35:10:11 | WHAT LIES BENEATH
00:06:00:15 | PHOTO GALLERY
00:09:39:03 | NOW & THEN - THE LOCATIONS OF DOCTOR WHO AND THE SILURIANS
00:19:06:15 | GOING UNDERGROUND
00:01:03:04 | DOCTOR WHO - COMING SOON TO DVD...THE TIME MEDDLER
00:13:51:12 | MUSICAL SCALES - AN ERA OF EXPERIMENTATION
00:04:42:02 | COLOUR SILURIAN OVERLAY

THE SEA DEVILS 56m 25s
00:36:35:15 | HELLO SAILOR! - MAKING THE SEA DEVILS
00:08:37:02 | PHOTO GALLERY
00:01:03:04 | DOCTOR WHO - COMING SOON TO DVD...THE TIME MEDDLER
00:03:51:01 | UNTITLED
00:06:18:01 | CONTINUITIES

WARRIORS OF THE DEEP 67m 46s
00:07:40:11 | PHOTO GALLERY
00:05:57:20 | SCIENCE IN ACTION
00:31:42:08 | THE DEPTHS - MAKING 'WARRIORS OF THE DEEP'
00:04:31:20 | MAT'S MODELS - RELICS FROM THE IRVINE WORKSHOP
00:12:53:20 | THEY CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA
00:01:03:05 | DOCTOR WHO - COMING SOON TO DVD...THE TIME MEDDLER
00:03:56:10 | TRAILS & CONTINUITY
Old 11-13-07, 03:49 AM

RE: Doctor Who S3 Box set - Region 1

The commentary on The Last of the Time Lords episode is different than the one on the R2 set. R1 has the one that was on the BBC website, rather than the one with David Tennat, Freema Agyeman and John Barrowman.

Supposedly a statement in regards to this mistake is in the works.

I can't wait for the Torchwood DVD boxset, the extras on the individual volume sets in R2 are great from what I heard, and they added commentaries and outtakes for the box set. Really looking forward to JB's commentaries as he's such a fanboy. Also like that the MRSP is not $100, it's not that good.
Old 11-13-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah. I was keeping up with the commentary controversy on the Gally boards. Sucks because I was really looking forward to that particular grouping.

I'm on the fence with Torchwood. I never got past episode 5 and still have the rest sitting on my hard drive taking up space. I might get it just because I'm a nutty completist.
Old 11-14-07, 08:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The thing (for me, anyway) with Torchwood is that I almost gave up on it as well. Trust me, though...it gets better & better as the season goes along. I wasn't thrilled with the finale, but the group of 5 or 6 episodes just before that were excellent.
Old 11-14-07, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

R1 News: The Davros Collection, Destiny & Remembrance of the Daleks - 3/4/08

From TVShowsonDVD.com

Doctor Who - Lotsa Daleks: Destiny, Remembrance - SE & a Complete Davros Box Set!

The Daleks Invade on March 4th
Posted by David Lambert
11/14/2007

For most Doctor Who fans, no enemy is greater than the Daleks. These rolling cyborgs were first introduced in the second serial story back in 1963, "The Daleks", and soon returned in the tenth serial story, "The Dalek Invasion of Earth". Both were so popular that they inspired a pair of big screen remakes starring Peter Cushing. And, of course, more Dalek-oriented storylines in the BBC television series. Roughly eight more, I think, through the 3rd Doctor's story (serial #72), "Death to the Daleks".

When Tom Baker came on board as the 4th Doctor, it didn't take long (serial #78; Baker's fourth) for the Daleks to make a reappearance. "The Genesis of the Daleks" was not just another story, however. It went back and ambitiously told the story of their origins, by a scientist named Davros. The character of Davros would appear in four more serials before the cancellation of the original BBC series: "The Destiny of the Daleks", "The Resurrection of the Daleks", "The Revelation of the Daleks" and "The Remembrance of the Daleks". Of the five serials, only "Destiny" has not yet made it to DVD up until now.

The BBC and distributor Warner Home Video are rectifying that, with a March 4th release of Doctor Who - Story #104: Destiny of the Daleks. Briefly the studio describes the story in this manner: "The newly regenerated Romana and the Doctor land on an unidentified planet to investigate evidence of drilling deep underground." Yeah, that's a tease. This single-disc release's extras include Commentary Track with actors Lalla Ward and David Gooderson, and director Ken Grieve; a featurette about writer Terry Nation and another one called "Directing Who"; the option to view the original special effects or new CGI effects; BBC trailers and continuity segments; Australian commercials for computers starring The Doctor and Romana; photo gallery; production notes; CD-ROM material. Cost will be $24.98 SRP.

On the same day, the BBC and Warner are also re-releasing an existing story on DVD. Doctor Who - Story #152: Remembrance of the Daleks: Special Edition is coming out with the support of the Doctor Who Restoration Team, who saw the previous release as, quote, "a bit of an albatross around the Restoration Team's collective neck, owing to an error we made during the remastering of the story which meant that a small number of video effects were missing from the first two episodes." That *mainly* pertains to the Region 2 release, but Region 1 is affected because for this Special Edition they went back and remastered the episode from scratch! Also, the extras package on the previous release was quite a bit lighter than on other Doctor Who DVDs. So now they are releasing a new Special Edition that includes all the old extras (commentary tracks, production notes, CD-ROM, etc.), plus two new featurettes called "Remembrances" and "Back to School". There are enhance- ments to the Extended and Deleted Scenes, to the Multi-Angle Sequences, and to the Photo Gallery as well. Plus there is a brand new 5.1 Audio Mix on this re-release, including an Isolated Music track. Unfortunately the music from The Beatles that was on the original broadcast will not be present on this disc in the Region 1 area; it could not be licensed for areas outside of Region 2. Our thanks to Steve Manfred of DoctorWhoDVDFaq.com for his help clarifying some of these details. Cost is $24.98 SRP.

But then the BBC and Warner will "put it all together", with all 5 Davros stories released into one box set: Doctor Who - The Complete Davros Collection also arrives on March 4, an 8-DVD set with all five separate packages (including the "SE" version of Remembrance) slid into one nice slipcover with Serials 78, 104, 134, 143 and 152. The cost for the Davros box set will be $99.98 SRP. That's not a lot of money for all that evil!

Copyright 2001-2007 TVShowsOnDVD.com

EDIT: Added artwork.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 11-14-07 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-14-07, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Apparently there's going to be a change in the way 2Entertain is releasing Doctor Who titles for Region 1. This quote is from Steve Manfred on the Gally boards:

There is to be another press release in the near future telling of the general plan for the rest of the year. I've heard some of what will be in it, but have been asked not to pass that on yet as it could still change slightly (as indeed it has once already). I am hopeful that I'll be able to tell all by the time of my DVD panel at Chicago TARDIS next week. [b]I can say that the old quarterly system is being scrapped, and that we will not need to wait as long as June before our next batch of releases.[b]

I wonder if that means we're getting 1 new release every other month instead of 2 releases every quarter?
Old 11-14-07, 02:48 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I have the current R1 of Remembrance of the Daleks (no Beatles on that either) and I probably won't be rebuying. The commentary track is excellent, and I hope they carry it forward to the SE.
Old 11-14-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
I have the current R1 of Remembrance of the Daleks (no Beatles on that either) and I probably won't be rebuying. The commentary track is excellent, and I hope they carry it forward to the SE.
The original commentary will be on it as well as some newer stuff:

Dolby Digital 5.1 re-mix by Mark Ayres.

The original commentary with actors Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred from 2000 is re-used.

Steve Broster has produced two new documentaries for this version:

Back to School (dur. 32' 38") - cast and crew talk about the making of the story accompanied by rare behind-the-scenes material. With actors Sylvester McCoy, Sophie Aldred, Simon Williams and Karen Gledhill, writer Ben Aaronovitch, script editor Andrew Cartmel, director Andrew Morgan and journalists Moray Laing and Paul Lang.

Remembrances (dur. 15' 14") - cast and crew talk about the influences and references to other Doctor Who adventures that are spread throughout the story.

The original Extended and Deleted Scenes package (dur. 12' 24") has been supplemented by brand-new introductions to each scene from Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred.

Outtakes (dur. 4' 12") - bloopers and gaffs from the recording of the story.

Multi-Angle Sequences (dur. 1' 03" and 0' 47") - allows the viewer to watch Ace's escape from the Chemistry lab and the Daleks blowing up the large gates from one of two camera angles. Via a menu, the viewer should be allowed to choose which angle of each scene to start on, but should be free to use the 'Angle' button on their remote to change the view at will during play. This is a feature that was never implemented as intended on the 2000 release.

Trails and Continuity (dur. 4' 58") - BBC1 trails and continuity announcements from the story's transmission, in this extended package.

Photo Gallery (dur. 8' 36") - production, design and publicity photos from the story, heavily expanded and packaged into our now standard video sequence format.

Isolated Music - gives the viewer the option to watch the story with the clean music track.

Radio Times Listings in Adobe PDF format for viewing on PC or Mac. Programme subtitles. Subtitle Production Notes.

I may be passing on the Region 1 release as well and opting for the Region 2 version when it becomes available. Gotta get the original Beatles version.

It looks like there's going to be a general price decrease for new Who titles. That's great news for newcomers who've just been introduced to the show via the New Series. A lower price may mean an impulsive blind buy.

It's a great time to be a Who fan!
Old 11-14-07, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by odisn
The thing (for me, anyway) with Torchwood is that I almost gave up on it as well. Trust me, though...it gets better & better as the season goes along. I wasn't thrilled with the finale, but the group of 5 or 6 episodes just before that were excellent.
Agreed, although I didn't think the finale was particularly bad. As I said over in the TV section I recently watched "They Keep Killing Sussie" (or something to that effect), as I had missed in my first time through. I really think it was one of the best episodes of the season, and it refocused how I now look at the season as a whole.
Old 11-15-07, 10:37 PM

Here's the update about the R1 commentary of S3 from Steve Manfred via OG:

----------
From a BBC spokesperson:
Unfortunately, though we make every effort to offer identical content in our Doctor Who releases to every territory, the original commentary track for Series 3, Episode 13 featuring David Tennant, Freema Agyeman and John Barrowman could not be cleared for the North American DVD. We acknowledge that the booklet accompanying it has the incorrect credits and they should read Russell T Davies, Julie Gardner and Phil Collinson. The booklet will be corrected as soon as possible.
-------
I am told that it was absolutely nothing to do with censoring political opinion. They don't want to be more specific than this, though.

EDITED TO ADD:
Over in the RT forum, Jim Sangster indicates that John Barrowman breaks into song at one point in the commentary. I'm almost certain now that the combination of the late date this one was recorded on and John's singing of a song led to the switch. They likely didn't have an international clearance on whatever he sang and no time to send it back to be reedited.

They get on a running gag about how Martha became a folk singer to spread the message about the Doctor to all the downtrodden human slaves, and numerous famous songs get quoted every time they come back to it. Freema gives a rendition of the banjo music from "Deliverance," for example.
So basically you can either buy the R2, deal with the R1 or make friends with someone in the Uk so you can listen to the commentary. It's kinda crummy as they should have known if you give JB a mic he's liable to sing something and put him with other people...it's just a wide open door to instigate more singing/joking around. I hope they don't do something like this with the R1 of TW or other future DW DVDs.

I also agree TW got a lot stronger in the last half of the season. It still had a few niggles (the finale stumbling a bit) but the episodes are much tighter than the early ones. I read they rushed the series thru which may account for the uneveness of the series. But with the longer break, I'm hopeful they have a better handle of all the characters/story arc for season 2. All and all I think it's better than a lot of the shows on Sci-Fi. And miles above all the reality junk they're about to shove down our throats in January.
Old 11-16-07, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anybody seen the commercials on BBCA for the "finale 3 episodes"?

I want to shoot Gwen everytime they show her saying, "Love meeeeeeeeeeee." Ugh, she really is a weak part of the show, although I think I dislike the actress more than the character.
Old 11-16-07, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superman07
Anybody seen the commercials on BBCA for the "finale 3 episodes"?

I want to shoot Gwen everytime they show her saying, "Love meeeeeeeeeeee." Ugh, she really is a weak part of the show, although I think I dislike the actress more than the character.

Apart from Barrowman, I'm not a fan of any of the Torchwood actors. That may be part of the reason why the show never won me over.

That and I don't like the writing.
Old 11-20-07, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

R2 News: Beneath The Surface Box Set - 1/14/08

From Outpost Gallifrey:

Beneath the Surface DVD Cover

The cover art for the upcoming Beneath the Surface DVD box set has been released. The set includes three classic stories: Doctor Who and the Silurians and The Sea Devils starring Jon Pertwee, and Warriors of the Deep starring Peter Davison. The three stories will be available as individual releases in addition to their inclusion in the box set.

Beneath the Surface is set for release in the UK on 14 January 2008.

Old 11-22-07, 10:34 PM
Dai

I've got to say that since the OG split, their news page just hasn't been on the ball.

Where's the R1 Davros Box info?? Where's the info about the S3 R1 LotTL commentary error???
Old 11-23-07, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Today is the 44th Anniversary of the first Doctor Who episode An Unearthly Child. Unfortunately, it's gonna be a sad birthday for Who fans.

Verity Lambert has died

It is with great sadness that we report the death of Verity Lambert, who has passed away at the age of 71.

One of the UK's foremost television producers, Lambert was the first producer of Doctor Who, holding the post from 1963 to 1965. It was a role that proved pivotal at the time, as, at the age of 27, she was the youngest and only female drama producer working at the BBC.

As the first producer she was instrumental in creating the universe of Doctor Who and was responsible for some of the most important principles of the series, ensuring the programme's success over the years.

Over the decades her credits and reputation continued to rise and she became one of the best known players in the industry. She oversaw such iconic productions as Adam Adamant Lives, Budgie, The Naked Civil Servant, Rock Follies, Rumpole of the Bailey, Edward and Mrs Simpson, Reilly: Ace of Spies, Minder, GBH and Jonathan Creek.

In 1985 Verity Lambert established her own independent production company, Cinema Verity. The company's first production was the 1988 feature film A Cry in the Dark, starring Sam Neill and Meryl Streep. Cinema Verity's first television series, the BBC1 sitcom May to December, ran from 1989 until 1994.

In 2000 two of her productions, Doctor Who and The Naked Civil Servant, finished third and fourth respectively in a British Film Institute poll of the 100 Greatest British Television Programmes of the 20th century.

In the 2002 New Year's Honours list Lambert was awarded the O.B.E. for services to film and television production. In the same year she received BAFTA's Alan Clarke Award for Outstanding Contribution to Television.

She was due to receive the Working Title Films lifetime achievement award at the Women in Film and Television Awards on 7th December.

Russell T Davies, the current Executive Producer of Doctor Who, said: "There are a hundred people in Cardiff working on Doctor Who and millions of viewers, in particular many children, who love the programme that Verity helped create. This is her legacy and we will never forget that."

It is noteworthy that a tribute from the current production team was made in the 2007 story Human Nature, when the Doctor, as the character John Smith, mentions his mother's name was Verity.

Jane Tranter, Controller of BBC Fiction, said: "Verity was a total one-off. She was a magnificently, madly, inspirationally talented drama producer.

"During her long and brilliant career there was no form of drama that was beyond her reach and that she didn't excel at. From the early episodes of Doctor Who to the still to be transmitted comedy drama Love Soup, via Widows, Minder, GBH, Eldorado and Jonathan Creek (to name but the tiniest handful of credits) – Verity was a phenomenon.

"She made the television drama genre utterly her own. She was deaf to the notion of compromise and there wasn't an actor, writer, director or television executive she worked with who didn't regard her with admiration, respect and awe.

"She will be hugely missed but her legacy lives on in the dramas she made, and in the generations of eager young programme-makers she has inspired.

"Today (Friday) is the 44th anniversary of her first ever episode of Doctor Who."

This story is covered so far by: The Stage, screenonline, the Guardian, and BBC News.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 11-23-07 at 11:00 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.