Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 08-05-05, 10:22 AM   #1
gabeon

Widescreen speech for school

I am going to give a persuasive speech for a Speech Class, and I am going with persuading the audience to go with Widescreen over Fullscreen.

My teacher informed me that we cannot use Powerpoint for this speech, and that we can only use one visual aid.

I know what I want to talk about, like we all would, but I don't know what to use as a visual aid. She said that we may use a single picture as our visual aid, but only one.

What would be a good visual aid to show what portion of the movie is getting chopped off?

I was thinking of taking a $1.00 bill and cutting it up in front of the class to emphasize the uselessness of the remaining portion after the "fullscreen" is formatted.

Any ideas?
Old 08-05-05, 10:43 AM   #2
mrhan
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wouldn't it be better to have a speech about OAR? ---just a thought.
Old 08-05-05, 10:49 AM   #3
gabeon

Well, OAR would be the underlying theme to the speech. I know that some films are/were not filmed in 2.35:1, 1.85:1, 1.77:1, or 1.66:1, but this would be a persuasion to get the audience to stop being fooled by the movie industry into wanting to fill their screen with the Full Screen movies.
Old 08-05-05, 10:53 AM   #4
Groucho

This would have been very relevant in 1999.

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)

Last edited by Groucho; 08-05-05 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-05-05, 10:53 AM   #5
canaryfarmer
DVD Talk Special Edition

Go with DaVinci's Last Supper instead of a dollar bill.
Old 08-05-05, 10:56 AM   #6
gabeon

Great idea, Canaryfarmer.

So that can show how you can ruin artwork just to fit the screen. You think most brick and mortar stores would have a print of The Last Supper?

Last edited by gabeon; 08-05-05 at 11:01 AM. Reason: responce to wrong poster
Old 08-05-05, 10:57 AM   #7
auto
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho
This would have been very relelvant in 1999.
Maybe not all of his classmates spend every waking moment posting on a DVD message board and therefore are still uninformed on this issue...

losers.
Old 08-05-05, 11:02 AM   #8
canaryfarmer
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just use Google's image search. There's a bunch of huge images of it.
Old 08-05-05, 11:02 AM   #9
gabeon

I agree that this would have been very relevant in 1999...however, I still think it is relevant now.

The slow transition to widescreen television and fullscreen DVD sales supports the notion that we still need to inform J6P.
Old 08-05-05, 11:03 AM   #10
auto
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
Go with DaVinci's Last Supper instead of a dollar bill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeon
Great idea, Groucho.

So that can show how you can ruin artwork just to fit the screen. You think most brick and mortar stores would have a print of The Last Supper?
Wow. Groucho gets credit for everything!
Old 08-05-05, 11:09 AM   #11
Groucho

It sounds like by "chopping off the sides" you're also forgetting that the fullscreen format of most recent movies is derived by opening up the mattes, rather than chopping off the sides. In that case, the fullscreen version offers more picture, but not OAR.
Old 08-05-05, 11:24 AM   #12
gabeon

In that case, I could put some mattes on the print of the Last Supper, and take them off as well as cut the sides.

I know there are varying degrees of Fullscreen vs. OAR debates, but this speech can only be 5 minutes.

Would it be safe to say that the majority of Fullscreen movies are either Pan & Scan or chopped versions of the widescreen prints?

I don't need to get too technical in the speech, this is for persuasion to watch the Widescreen over the Fullscreen.
Old 08-05-05, 11:33 AM   #13
Groucho

The majority of new releases (last 10 years or so) are open matte, the majority of old films are pan and scan.

And this is just talking about 1.85:1 films. There's also 2.35:1 films, which can be scope or Super 35...a whole new discussion.
Old 08-05-05, 11:45 AM   #14
auto
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Serious Groucho makes my head hurt.
Old 08-05-05, 11:46 AM   #15
flixtime
DVD Talk Gold Edition

FYI: The Last Supper demonstration is used for the TCM between films "featurette" concerning widescreen/fullscreen/OAR. I don't know if it matters or not, but if your teacher and/or any classmates (not very likely, perhaps?) happen to watch TCM you might lose some points for originality.
Old 08-05-05, 11:46 AM   #16
PixyJunket
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm.. sounds a bit self-important. Just remember that there is no "right" or "wrong" way, it's simply a preference.
Old 08-05-05, 11:46 AM   #17
aukevin

Do you have a laptop with a DVD drive? Take in a movie that has both widescreen and fullscreen versions on it and use it as an example in class. Prove to them that you see more with widescreen.
Old 08-05-05, 11:48 AM   #18
bpatt

School's in session already?
Old 08-05-05, 11:56 AM   #19
UAIOE
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I used a printout of "The Last Supper" when i did my speech on widescreen a few years ago.

All i did was have a "fullscreen" opening cut out on a sheet of paper that folded over the printout of the painting.
Old 08-05-05, 12:22 PM   #20
Nick Danger
DVD Talk Legend

For an example of open matte, find a photo of The Last Supper which shows the entire doorway under the painting. Then matte it down to the OAR.
Old 08-05-05, 01:17 PM   #21
gabeon

School isn't in session, but this is a Summer Speech course at the local community college.

Ok...so maybe I cannot strongly argue the "you get more picture" with Widescreen, but can I at least argue that you should have the widescreen TV for the most flexibility?

So...anyone have an idea what argument I could use to persuade OAR(or Widescreen) format over Fullscreen?
Old 08-05-05, 01:27 PM   #22
taa455
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Hmm.. sounds a bit self-important. Just remember that there is no "right" or "wrong" way, it's simply a preference.
Generally, a persuasive speech is an attempt to sway an audience to see (and maybe agree with) your opinion. So he is arguing the merits of his opinion, or preference if you will. So it's not self-important, it's the assignment. But I agree that he should make an effort not to be condescending and just simply state his logic and reasoning.
Old 08-05-05, 01:35 PM   #23
gabeon

I definitely not planning on being condescending.

I just want to show them that they are not missing part of the movie with the "black bars", and that the movies in Widescreen format will show what the director filmed the movie in.

In the very least, I can persuade the audience to understand/accept my opinion that there is a definitely more of a movie feel when you are watching widescreen movies.

Regarding the Last Supper thing on TCM, I will give the credit to TCM...so I don't care if the instructor takes off for originality...at least I am not trying to hide where I got my visual aid example.
Old 08-05-05, 02:06 PM   #24
GoVegan
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger
For an example of open matte, find a photo of The Last Supper which shows the entire doorway under the painting. Then matte it down to the OAR.
That was basically what I was thinking he should do, except it would obviously be a mock-up.:

Have one poster of the Last Supper, but attach some white posterboard behind it that extends above and below the original. Then draw a boom mike on the top and some out-of-place props, various film crew and equipment on the bottom half. Then you can start the presentation with the OAR image and then show the ways that the image can be negatively altered by alternately folding the sides back or by exposing the top and bottom.

That might be too much trouble, but I think it would be effective.
Old 08-05-05, 02:16 PM   #25
Groucho

But most films today are filmed with the fullscreen DVD version in mind, so they move the boom mic and other things out of the frame.
Sponsored Links