Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is there a market for NFL-MLB-NBA-NHL complete games?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 10-31-04, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

I would rather just see highlights of seasons or certain games because watching an entire game would be too time consuming.However,complete games from defunct sports leagues would be more interesting especially the ABA and WHA.
Old 10-31-04, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think there is definitely an untapped market for complete classic sporting events. I'd pay to see a lot of vintage Super Bowls, classic Celtics games, etc.

Highlights are OK, but I'd prefer the context of the full games.
Old 10-31-04, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they sell the whole summit series (canada vs. ussr) for about 25$ cdn... i think with the hockey strike on right now you could get some $$$ during this lockout in canada
Old 10-31-04, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They should at least release the Stanley Cup-winning games on DVD in full. I'd buy as many of those as I can.
Old 10-31-04, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

NFL: SF 49ers - The Dynasty Collection

It would have every good game they had, huge DVD set no doubt
Old 10-31-04, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by Adrenaline
NFL: SF 49ers - The Dynasty Collection

It would have every good game they had, huge DVD set no doubt
evne the game the stole from the Giants?

sorry, im still mad about that
Old 11-01-04, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I own the Summit Series set, as well as the Summit Series 2-hour highlights, and the "November to Remember" 2-disc set of the Oilers vs. Canadiens from oudoors in edmonton last year...

I will say, you gotta be a REAL fan to sit through the entire summit series. The video is mediocre at best, and there are various points where the audio drops out for 15 minutes (there will be a message telling you about this) and you'll just have a picture, and vice-versa where you'll just have the audio. Now, it's amazing to begin with that they have as well as a preserved copy of some of these games as is, but the Highlights disc is a much better value and much more re-watchable, in my opinion.

I've also bought the Gold-Medal games DVD from the 98 and 2002 mens hockey events, and will be picking up the upcoming world cup set...
Old 11-01-04, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
I wouldn't mind having an Anaheim Angels: The Complete 2002 Season

162 regular season games
16 postseason games
2 discs for extras
180 disc set
Old 11-01-04, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by GregS
evne the game the stole from the Giants?

sorry, im still mad about that
I was thinking more of the Montana/Young days, that was a good game regardless of the outcome.
Old 11-01-04, 09:13 AM
Banned

Two problems.

1) We know the outcome. I kow it's the same as watching a movie when you know the ending, but IMO, there is more to movies than there is in sports.

2) Only complete seasons would work. Example, a disc of the Super Bowls would be no good because so many were clunkers. In many cases the AFC or NFC championship is the superior game. I imagine this is true for almost every sport. Look at the World Series this year. Would you want the World Series or the AL and DL Championships?
Old 11-01-04, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you're just a casual fan of the sport, then no, complete games won't appeal to you. But if you're an avid fan of the sport and its history (as I am, for instance), then some of the most important games, like championship games, are worth a lot to you.
Old 11-01-04, 12:22 PM

The Pittsburgh Penguins were going to give away DVDs of games on 5 promotional nights. There were also going to give away a Mario Lemieux highlights DVD for opening night.

I think 2 of the DVDs were going to be when they won their Stanley Cups, but I can't remember what the other three were.

The local Fox Sports channel is going to re- broadcast some of their 'classic' games once a week. They weren't allowed access to the games that will be on DVD.
Old 11-01-04, 12:49 PM
bcd

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally posted by cardaway
1) We know the outcome. I kow it's the same as watching a movie when you know the ending, but IMO, there is more to movies than there is in sports.

Well, true that we do know the outcomes. But the little intricacies that make movies rewatchable, can make sports rewatchable. DUring the games you are only focused on wo has the puck and trying ot follow the puck. But when you watch it on repeated viewings you have a chance to go a little deeper into the offensive and defensive styles. And you tend to focus on action away from the puck to see what the "role players" are doing. It Allows you to notice tendencies of defenses that you might not otherwise know. For me, I love hockey and I love movies. I can watch the same movie 30 times and notice something new that I had never noticed before on the 30th viewing. The same holds true for me on sporting events. And that is why I consider sports to be just as rewatchable as movies.

BCD
Old 11-01-04, 02:37 PM
Banned

The Niners did not steal that game from them.

The Giants folded in the 2nd half because they have no heart and it was evident by who was playing QB that day, Kerry Collins.

The Giants stole a game from the Niners.

If Joe Montana did not get injured and Craig did not fumble the Niners would be 6 time World Champions.

I am still mad at that.
Old 11-01-04, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Superbowl XX please, even though I have it taped on VHS. Hell, I'd take the entire Bears season that year.
Old 11-01-04, 03:32 PM

"Superbowl XX please, even though I have it taped on VHS. Hell, I'd take the entire Bears season that year."

Absolutely... I loved the NFL Film's VHS about the '85 Bears. I want it on DVD!!
Old 11-01-04, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
I'll take just the commercials from all the Superbowls prior to 1982 (I have a VHS copy of the 1969 Superbowl that looks about 100th generation!)
Old 11-01-04, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd like to own this years ALCS on DVD. That'd be a hell of a set.
Old 11-01-04, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by uvalaw2005

Absolutely... I loved the NFL Film's VHS about the '85 Bears. I want it on DVD!!
It is on DVD isn't it? The NFL Super Bowl series 2 is a collection of all the NFL films released in that 10 year span. The Bears should be the last one on the 2nd set. The 3rd set (Super Bowls XXI-XXX) is due out tomorrow.
Old 11-01-04, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Maybe he is talking about the entire years highlight film and not just the Super Bowl.
Old 11-01-04, 09:05 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by corycouger
The Niners did not steal that game from them.

The Giants folded in the 2nd half because they have no heart and it was evident by who was playing QB that day, Kerry Collins.

The Giants stole a game from the Niners.

If Joe Montana did not get injured and Craig did not fumble the Niners would be 6 time World Champions.

I am still mad at that.

sorry pal but the giants earned that game in san fran. i still can see the hit from marshall and taylor on montana, give me a break we were the better team, i would love to see the 1986 giants, all their playoff games, who know it might happen...
Old 11-02-04, 12:44 AM

I will buy anything NFL Films puts out, can't get enough of it, that and I will continue to buy every green bay packer dvd that comes out.
Old 11-02-04, 01:48 AM

I would kill for the complete seasons including the Super Bowls for the 92 and 93 season of the greatest team ever assembled.

That's right the Dallas Cowboys...

Waiting for the usual non football related crap from the haters.
Old 11-02-04, 07:32 AM

I would love to own the complete games of some of the better Superbowls...All the 1970's Superbowls (esp Dallas vs Pittsburgh, Dallas vs Denver ) would be nice....

Some of the 80's Superbowls...49ers Vs Bengals (both), 85 Bears

Cowboys of the 90's.
Old 11-02-04, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I would pay big money for the two Stanley Cup series the Penguins won. I can't imagine why they don't do this.

I was looking forward to the promo DVDs they were giving away this season. I hope they give them out still in a scheduled way once the NHL begins again.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.