Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Any Chance of FAMILY TIES dvd box sets ?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-04, 02:41 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Alex P keaton is in da house

Any chance ?
Old 09-08-04, 03:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, considering that we have a number of pretty questionable TV releases now, and that Family Ties has a pretty large fan base, I'd say there's a good chance. Assuming that there aren't any legal issues to tie it up, of course.
Old 09-08-04, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is probably my # 1 request (now that Sledge Hammer is out), for Tv on DVD, followed by Growing Pains.

I'm sure that they will both be out with time.
Old 09-08-04, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's currently ranked 24th among unreleased shows at TVShowsOnDVD.com so it's safe to assume a lot of people want this. I know I do; I'd definitely buy all 7 seasons.

Rob
Old 09-08-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Probably. The series just DIED in syndication, but I think enough years have passed that the 80s generation might pick it up if it was cheap enough.
Old 09-08-04, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it's one of a handful of shows left on my unreleased tv want list. I would buy it in a heartbeat. without question it was the best sitcom of the 80's.
Old 09-08-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This will be coming in 2005.
Old 09-08-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This will be coming in 2005.
And you know this because ? or are you just guessing that it will come out ?
Old 09-08-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It will be coming early 2K5 unfortunately can't say much more.
Old 09-08-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

State your source. Sorry, but without proof, you're just another anonymous poster with unsubstantiated info, which we have all learned the hard way to take with a grain of salt.

No offense intended. It's just the way it is.
Old 09-08-04, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Let's just hope it's not a "Best Of" release, like Spin City was.

Looking forward to seeing Tom Hanks as Alex's drunk uncle again.
Old 09-08-04, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I want this and also Night Court. With those two and my Cheers box sets, I would have some of the best original "Must See TV" on DVD in my collection. The original NBC Thursday night line up with those shows was always the best in all the years NBC has had Must See TV.
Old 09-08-04, 03:54 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Piazza
without question it was the best sitcom of the 80's.
Cheers fans would argue with that.
Old 09-08-04, 03:55 PM

the 10pm dramas

To tap off your 80's Thursday Night nostalgia fest, we're also gonna need box sets of Hill Street Blues and St. Elsewhere.

Oh, for the Cheers/St. Elsewhere crossover!

(and bonus points for those of you who know why St. Elsewhere is in the same contextual universe as Homicide!)

CDE,

CS
Old 09-08-04, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wasn't The Cosby Show also NBC Thursday night?

I second Night Court and Hill Street Blues, as well.
Old 09-08-04, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: the 10pm dramas

Originally posted by BasiaMille
To tap off your 80's Thursday Night nostalgia fest, we're also gonna need box sets of Hill Street Blues and St. Elsewhere.

Oh, for the Cheers/St. Elsewhere crossover!

(and bonus points for those of you who know why St. Elsewhere is in the same contextual universe as Homicide!)

CDE,

CS
Not the full article, but...

For those of you don’t know, St. Elsewhere was a slick, well written and acted drama series about the doctors, administrators and patients of the fictional Boston hospital, St. Eligius (nicknamed St. Elsewhere by the staff). After a long, award-winning run, in the very last moments of the show’s final episode, it was revealed that all of the events of the show were merely the prolonged daydream of an autistic child. None of it "really" happened. Whether you like this final twist (for what it’s worth, I didn’t), it’s a legitimate ending to a self-contained show. But if St. Elsewhere played by the rules of comics, either they wouldn’t have been allowed to do it, or they would have precipitated a crisis in TV Land far bloodier than DC Comics’ Crisis On Infinite Earths. Why? Because crossover-wise, St. Elsewhere is the Kevin Bacon of TV shows.

Stay with me now, this is complicated but kind of fun.

Characters from St. Elsewhere have appeared on Homicide, which means that show is part of the autistic child’s daydream and likewise doesn’t exist. It gets worse. The omnipresent Detective John Munch from Homicide has appeared on X-Files, Law & Order and Law & Order: SVU. Law & Order characters have appeared on Law & Order: Criminal Intent. X-Files characters have appeared on The Lone Gunmen and Millennium. Characters from Chicago Hope have appeared on Homicide. Characters from Picket Fences have appeared on Chicago Hope. All those shows are gone (if you count cartoons, which makes this game much too easy, the X-Files characters have appeared on The Simpsons. The Critic has also appeared on The Simpsons. Dead).

Characters from Picket Fences have appeared on Ally McBeal. Ally McBeal has appeared on The Practice. Characters from The Practice have appeared on Boston Public. Autistic daydreams, every one.

But that's not all. St Elsewhere characters have appeared on Cheers, so Fraiser doesn’t exist. Neither do Wings, Caroline In The City or The Tortellis but who cares? Well, maybe you do, because Caroline In The City once crossed over with Friends, which crossed over with Mad About You, which crossed over with Seinfeld and The Dick Van Dyke show. None of them happened in our new, shared continuity.

St. Elsewhere also shared characters with The White Shadow and It’s Gary Shandling’s Show. Garry Shandling crossed over with The Andy Griffith show (no, really!). So Gomer Pyle, Mayberry RFD, and Make Room for Daddy/The Danny Thomas Show are gone. Make Room For Daddy takes out I love Lucy.

And there’s more, St. Elsewhere also shares continuity with M*A*S*H, so Aftermash and Trapper John MD are out of there.

Now here’s a good one, St. Elsewhere shared a patient with The Bob Newhart Show, so the Bob Newhart Show is part of the grand daydream. The Bob Newhart Show crossed over with Murphy Brown, which in turn links to, among many others: Julia, The Nanny, Everybody Loves Raymond and I Dream of Jeannie! Meanwhile, the series Newhart was revealed to be a nightmare had by Bob Newhart’s character on the Bob Newhart Show. Newhart crossed over with Coach, which connects it to Grace Under Fire, Ellen and Drew Carey. Drew Carey takes out Home Improvement and NYPD Blue.

All of these shows (and many more that I left out or missed) are daydreams of St. Elsewhere’s autistic kid.

This is by no means an exhaustive list. Links to the Happy Days, All In The Family and Diagnosis Murder universes would take out another 20 or 30 shows. If we can get to The Mary Tyler Moore Show, who knows how many would fall? My favorite possibility? A link to Knight Rider, of all things, would remove every single Star Trek series. I wouldn’t mind some research help from my vast and loony readership on these and any other shows you guys can think of, E-mail me. No cartoons though, that way lies madness. The Scooby Doo movies alone encompass a good chunk of the space/time continuum.

All of these would help me prove my Grand Unification Theory, which posits: "The last five minutes of St. Elsewhere is the only television show, ever. Everything else is a daydream."

So what does this prove, other than the fact that I’ve got too much free time? Well, my point and I do have one (I can steal this catch phrase because, as I’ve already proven, Ellen never existed), is that while guest-shots and crossovers can be fun, obsessive, cross-series continuity is silly.

It’s silly in comics too. Relax and enjoy the show.

Of course, you also realize SCRUBS and THE SOPRANOS are also part of this autistic boy's dream. Bonus points to those who can tell the class why The Sopranos also falls into this category.
Old 09-08-04, 06:12 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Okay, the last post blew up my brain...

Seriously, I'd love to see Family Ties on DVD because it's one of the few shows I grew up with that still holds up when I see an occasional rerun on satellite. It's probably the only "family" sitcom I can stomach, but that's a testament to the writers and cast. Whatever happened to Justine Bateman? She seemed to fade away from the public spotlight after the show ended.

And seeing drunk Uncle Ned, everybody's second-favorite fugitive from the law (nobody tops Richard Kimble!), on DVD would be sublime!
Old 09-08-04, 07:10 PM

I'm still waiting for WKRP.
Old 09-08-04, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by interstitial
Okay, the last post blew up my brain...

Seriously, I'd love to see Family Ties on DVD because it's one of the few shows I grew up with that still holds up when I see an occasional rerun on satellite. It's probably the only "family" sitcom I can stomach, but that's a testament to the writers and cast. Whatever happened to Justine Bateman? She seemed to fade away from the public spotlight after the show ended.

And seeing drunk Uncle Ned, everybody's second-favorite fugitive from the law (nobody tops Richard Kimble!), on DVD would be sublime!
Justine has taken some time off (though she was in the Showtime movie Out of Order, which was pretty good, but I really don't know what else she has been in recently) but Justin Bateman was on The View on Monday and talking about how Justine wants to get back into acting, so they are trying to create a role for her on Arrested Development. Justin's idea was to introduce her as a love interest for his character, and to get around the brother/sister thing she would be a member of a strict religious group that didn't allow any kissing or any touching at all outside of marriage. But he said they probably wouldn't go with that idea now, which is why he was talking about it, but she should be in AD season two.
Old 09-08-04, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by calhoun07
Justin Bateman was on The View on Monday and talking about how Justine wants to get back into acting, so they are trying to create a role for her on Arrested Development. Justin's idea was to introduce her as a love interest for his character, and to get around the brother/sister thing she would be a member of a strict religious group that didn't allow any kissing or any touching at all outside of marriage.
OMG, that's so twisted. I love it.

Rob
Old 09-08-04, 08:46 PM

Um, don't you mean Jason Bateman?
Old 09-08-04, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by tikigod
Um, don't you mean Jason Bateman?
Yes. I kept looking at that and knew it wasn't right. Too many "J" names in our lives!
Old 09-08-04, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i'd buy it. and I don't collect much tv on dvd.
I did see every episode. From the pilot to alex doesn't live here anymore pt. 2
Old 09-09-04, 12:08 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Aside from Michael J Fox, i'm sure the rest of the cast would do commentaries for a dvd set for a free lunch

Michael Gross has done a few things but for the rest their careers died after the show
Old 09-09-04, 07:47 AM

Re: Re: the 10pm dramas

Originally posted by calhoun07
Not the full article, but...

For those of you don’t know, St. Elsewhere was a slick, well written and acted drama series about the doctors, administrators and patients of the fictional Boston hospital, St. Eligius (nicknamed St. Elsewhere by the staff). After a long, award-winning run, in the very last moments of the show’s final episode, it was revealed that all of the events of the show were merely the prolonged daydream of an autistic child. None of it "really" happened. Whether you like this final twist (for what it’s worth, I didn’t), it’s a legitimate ending to a self-contained show. But if St. Elsewhere played by the rules of comics, either they wouldn’t have been allowed to do it, or they would have precipitated a crisis in TV Land far bloodier than DC Comics’ Crisis On Infinite Earths. Why? Because crossover-wise, St. Elsewhere is the Kevin Bacon of TV shows.

Stay with me now, this is complicated but kind of fun.

Characters from St. Elsewhere have appeared on Homicide, which means that show is part of the autistic child’s daydream and likewise doesn’t exist. It gets worse. The omnipresent Detective John Munch from Homicide has appeared on X-Files, Law & Order and Law & Order: SVU. Law & Order characters have appeared on Law & Order: Criminal Intent. X-Files characters have appeared on The Lone Gunmen and Millennium. Characters from Chicago Hope have appeared on Homicide. Characters from Picket Fences have appeared on Chicago Hope. All those shows are gone (if you count cartoons, which makes this game much too easy, the X-Files characters have appeared on The Simpsons. The Critic has also appeared on The Simpsons. Dead).

Characters from Picket Fences have appeared on Ally McBeal. Ally McBeal has appeared on The Practice. Characters from The Practice have appeared on Boston Public. Autistic daydreams, every one.

But that's not all. St Elsewhere characters have appeared on Cheers, so Fraiser doesn’t exist. Neither do Wings, Caroline In The City or The Tortellis but who cares? Well, maybe you do, because Caroline In The City once crossed over with Friends, which crossed over with Mad About You, which crossed over with Seinfeld and The Dick Van Dyke show. None of them happened in our new, shared continuity.

St. Elsewhere also shared characters with The White Shadow and It’s Gary Shandling’s Show. Garry Shandling crossed over with The Andy Griffith show (no, really!). So Gomer Pyle, Mayberry RFD, and Make Room for Daddy/The Danny Thomas Show are gone. Make Room For Daddy takes out I love Lucy.

And there’s more, St. Elsewhere also shares continuity with M*A*S*H, so Aftermash and Trapper John MD are out of there.

Now here’s a good one, St. Elsewhere shared a patient with The Bob Newhart Show, so the Bob Newhart Show is part of the grand daydream. The Bob Newhart Show crossed over with Murphy Brown, which in turn links to, among many others: Julia, The Nanny, Everybody Loves Raymond and I Dream of Jeannie! Meanwhile, the series Newhart was revealed to be a nightmare had by Bob Newhart’s character on the Bob Newhart Show. Newhart crossed over with Coach, which connects it to Grace Under Fire, Ellen and Drew Carey. Drew Carey takes out Home Improvement and NYPD Blue.

All of these shows (and many more that I left out or missed) are daydreams of St. Elsewhere’s autistic kid.

This is by no means an exhaustive list. Links to the Happy Days, All In The Family and Diagnosis Murder universes would take out another 20 or 30 shows. If we can get to The Mary Tyler Moore Show, who knows how many would fall? My favorite possibility? A link to Knight Rider, of all things, would remove every single Star Trek series. I wouldn’t mind some research help from my vast and loony readership on these and any other shows you guys can think of, E-mail me. No cartoons though, that way lies madness. The Scooby Doo movies alone encompass a good chunk of the space/time continuum.

All of these would help me prove my Grand Unification Theory, which posits: "The last five minutes of St. Elsewhere is the only television show, ever. Everything else is a daydream."

So what does this prove, other than the fact that I’ve got too much free time? Well, my point and I do have one (I can steal this catch phrase because, as I’ve already proven, Ellen never existed), is that while guest-shots and crossovers can be fun, obsessive, cross-series continuity is silly.

It’s silly in comics too. Relax and enjoy the show.

Of course, you also realize SCRUBS and THE SOPRANOS are also part of this autistic boy's dream. Bonus points to those who can tell the class why The Sopranos also falls into this category.
Maybe this autistic kid watches a lot of tv and he used those characters in his daydream. However I would be interested to know how all of these shows link together, especially the Knight Rider/Trek connection. Do you have a link to the full article?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.