Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

List of DVD's with uncredited/unflagged 6.1 tracks?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 09-26-05, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know where to find one of these? DocDVD used to have a good one, but their site has totally been redesigned and that page is gone .

In case anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about: most DVDs that have either Dolby 5.1 EX or DTS 6.1 indicate so on the packaging, as well as in the disc's audio menu. But some do not mention it anywhere. This isn't a problem if the audio track is flagged, meaning your receiever recognizes it as an extended surround track and switches to that format automatically. But some 5.1 EX/ 6.1 DTS tracks are not even flagged, so you could potentially have a DVD with an amazing extended surround track and not even know it. Which sucks, right? So I'm just looking for a fairly up-to-date list of such discs. Any ideas?

cheers, digs
Old 09-26-05, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The most reliable sources are Dolby's and DTS's own websites.

These are the only ones I now use to check.

Here are the links:

http://www.dts.com/consumer/hometheater/dvd-titles.php

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/motion...reviously.html

Note that it sometimes varies by country so be sure to search/browse with the correct parameters
Old 09-26-05, 07:14 PM

Yeah, I've checked those lists before, but that's not quite what I was going after. The official Dolby & dts sites tell you EVERY SINGLE title released in either format, but don't differentiate between the titles that are unflagged/uncredited and the ones that are properly labeled on the DVD packaging and menus. The main issue is that if your DVD has an UNFLAGGED track, you need to manually select the proper decoder on your receiver.

Actually, the dts link is pretty useful seeing as though there are not too many 6.1 tracks and you can scroll through pretty quickly, but I'm still thinking there's gotta be a list somewhere that keeps track of the uncredited/unflagged titles alone.

Also an FYI, that Dolby site you gave the link for actually lists THEATRICAL titles with 5.1 EX - not DVDs. There are many films released in theaters with 5.1 EX tracks that don't always carry over onto the DVD release.
Old 09-26-05, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by digs5446
The main issue is that if your DVD has an UNFLAGGED track, you need to manually select the proper decoder on your receiver.
Yeah I know. Not really a problem for me as I play everything with Dolby PLIIx Cinema on top no matter what. But even if you don't have PLIIx, you should just turn the matrix decoding on and see what the track sounds like. Sometimes it sounds good with regular 5.1 tracks too

Originally Posted by digs5446
Also an FYI, that Dolby site you gave the link for actually lists THEATRICAL titles with 5.1 EX - not DVDs. There are many films released in theaters with 5.1 EX tracks that don't always carry over onto the DVD release.
Actually, there are hardly any that don't carry over onto the DVD and Dolby confirmed this to me when I emailed them about it. You've got a track, it's all mixed, so it's rare anyone is gonna go to the great effort and expense of removing the extra matrixed channel.

Check Home Theater Forum, I think they have a list although it may just list EX and ES tracks rather than differentiating between what's flagged and what's not.