Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What's The Big Deal With Criterions? (merged)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

What's The Big Deal With Criterions? (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-05, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First appreciate film, then you'll appreciate criterions. I think until you've done that it's pretty much pointless to ask.

And it's good that you don't notice a big change in audio/video quality compared to releases like The Fifth Element UE-- since most criterions are older films, it takes a ton of work to get them to look and sound as good as they do. The prices shouldn't be any surprise, it's a niche market-- you don't see big crowds waiting in line at best buy when they're released. Add to that the work they need to put into these films that most studios wouldn't even bother with.
Old 06-01-05, 12:18 PM

criterions are my favorite R1 releases.... all i can ask is overall quality from a dvd and that is what they provide.. when you see the criterion name on it you know it's a quality release.

i hope to have many of them in my collection over time... alot of stuff i haven't seen in the catalog.
Old 06-01-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rossbrew
What's the difference between a BMW and a Toyota Corrolla?
About $50K and a lot of time in the repair shop?
Old 06-01-05, 12:27 PM

also a model and rosie o'donnell.

you will be able to get one of them with one of those cars i'll let you figure out which one. hah.
Old 06-01-05, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the asshole driving it...
Old 06-01-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Easy on the BMW bashing. I drive one, and like to consider myself to not be an asshole. I have had zero reliability problems and would take one any day of the week over a bland Toyota. But maybe that's just people that want a true driving machine and people that don't

We now return you to your regular scheduled topic...
Old 06-01-05, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by phatboy
Uhh, well actually, yes I did do a search and if you do the same you'll come up with 20 pages when you put "criterion". My question was pretty specific so I wanted people's opinion on it.
You can specify your search by using more than one word. For example, searching for the phrase "what is a criterion" gives you these threads:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327830
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160736

Other threads about this also exist:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=380992
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337807
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271301
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=267394
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=248302
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=249439
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=236497
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=232991
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=230294
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=227917
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=248302
Old 06-01-05, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was just thinking of how much I prefer Criterion to their laserdisc days. Now that the studios have embraced DVDs Criterion does not have to work on every single title. They can focus more on obscure titles and I much prefer this. Because you will always be able to get a studio to release something like The Wizard of Oz, but the Passion of Joan of Arc? That's a Criterion job.
Old 06-01-05, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't get it. People bitch and moan because somebody doesn't search before posting a topic. Like them posting it is going to be a waste of everyones time. Yet the same people have time to post all that.
Old 06-01-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, its not like he was asking when the next Deepdiscountdvd 20% off sale is!!!
Old 06-01-05, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by l_xtopher_l
I don't think that you should be worried about trying to expand yourself to like Criterions, just for the sake of liking Criterions. The selection of their films is varied in style and genre, and I doubt that many people love every single one of their films. Some might, but certainly not everyone.
Ah... well put. I think it's the same as one person thinking the renassaince art period is to die for whereas someone else would rather watch paint dry. I'll just enjoy all the different movies available and be happy.
Old 06-01-05, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cfloyd3
To not bother to look up the title of the film The Royal Tenenbaums since you take the time to name 5 actors and call Anjelica Huston Morticia is a bit ridiculous. I am not someone who trashes and is rude to people every post like quite a few people here, but I don't see how you couldn't have attempted to compose your question a bit better. That said, Criterion as has been talked about so many times on here presents pretty well known in most cases classic/art cinema (international and otherwise). For you I'd recommend if you want to watch the films that you visit your local library (if you have one) and see if there is any selection. It is what turned me on to international cinema and to branch out (and it is free). Good luck.
Sheesh, looks like I touched a nerve...but I guess I had to expect it, of course I'd feel the same way if someone said baseball is WAYYYY more exciting than hockey...I should go put myself in a corner for not remembering Huston's name...I knew I shouldn't have skipped the "Know Your Actor's" class....at least I attended the "Know Your Actor's Characters" seminar. I think I should get at least partial credit for naming 5 of the characters...

Oh and I do visit my library but it's not free for the rentals. That's actually where I rented 7 samurai...figured I'd make myself a little more "well-rounded" but I see by some people's comments, I am NO way near where I should be in my movie tastes...for that I apologize to all and to all those with superior cinematic tastes.
Old 06-01-05, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

About $15,000
Old 06-01-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Oh wait, sarcasm? On these forums? Le gasp.

-JP
Old 06-01-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gobear
I don't see the need to be so condescending in the replies to the OP. Sure, he may have a limited taste in film, but we were all there once--growth and increasing the depth of one's understanding are part of the process of intellectual maturation we have all gone through.

Long story short, Criterions are worth the price because the company puts out DVDs of exceptional quality. If the OP has access to Netflix, I might recommend that he try out some Criterion DVDs first before spending the $$$. Because he describes himself as a "popcorny kinda guy"--and aren't we all to some extent?--I'd suggest that he rent Seven Samurai, Sword of Doom, The Long Good Friday, and Bob le Flambeur, all excellent action films given a fine treatment by CC that are best enjoyed with a big bowl of the popped white kernels.
Yayyy...one of the two or so replies that don't make me feel like the sludge in the bottom of the sink after doing dishes by hand....thanks
Old 06-01-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mopower
It's so DVD elitists can sit back and gaze at their collections thinking they are better than everyone else for having them while their mom's are cooking them dinner.

Old 06-01-05, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dang.....didn't think someone would actually take the time to find those threads....all I can say is I rephrase what I said earlier "If there's a topic already, I'm too much of a bonehead to find it". Thanks though
Old 06-01-05, 04:30 PM
Banned

While this thread has been made a million times before I do have a Criterion collection question that doesn't need its own thread.

How do they determine what will have a MSRP of $39.99 or $29.99? I know they used to sell 1 disc movies at $39.99 yet some other 1 disc for $29.99, what is their rhyme & reason for this? It makes no sense to me that there could be such a large price difference when you're still getting the same amount of discs. Any ideas?!?!?!?
Old 06-01-05, 04:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
One will never appreciate Criterion Releases until one learns to construct and post Sophisticated & intellectual replies such those posted in this thread. Ooh ooh and they have those cool numbers on the spine
Old 06-01-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Digital Groove
While this thread has been made a million times before I do have a Criterion collection question that doesn't need its own thread.

How do they determine what will have a MSRP of $39.99 or $29.99? I know they used to sell 1 disc movies at $39.99 yet some other 1 disc for $29.99, what is their rhyme & reason for this? It makes no sense to me that there could be such a large price difference when you're still getting the same amount of discs. Any ideas?!?!?!?
Well, the rule of thumb seemed to be if there was an audio commentary it was $39.99, no audio commentary is $29.99. Though lately that hasn't been the case. In fact, most of the new releases have been priced at $29.99.
Old 06-01-05, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by phatboy
Dang.....didn't think someone would actually take the time to find those threads....all I can say is I rephrase what I said earlier "If there's a topic already, I'm too much of a bonehead to find it". Thanks though
You don't have to use search, but how about posting all at once? 6 posts in a row, sheesh.
Old 06-01-05, 04:57 PM

thats why dvdplanet rules so much. 35% off all criterions.

you can get some great deals on the more expensive sets.
Old 06-01-05, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Digital Groove

I think it used to be the presence of a commentary track. Commentary track = $39.99. Since this has become pretty much a de-facto extra on all DVD's it appears that Criterion is abandoning this pricing scheme.

It is very interesting to me to see how they are attempting to raise the bar once again now that every studio is releasing DVD's with commentary tracks, director's interviews and documentaries (see most Fox Studio Classics and many Warner Classics discs).

Short Cuts includes a complete novel a feature length documentary about making the movie, a 1-hour audio interview with Raymond Carver, a PBS documentary on the life of Raymond Carver, interviews, a fat booklet, etc.

Battle of Algiers is an amazing 3-disc set including extensive interviews with members of the Algerian parliment that were major players during the revolution also interviews with Richard Clarke (former national counterterrorism coordinator) and Michael Sheehan (former state department counterterrorism coordinator). There are also two hour long documentaries included.

Kagemusha has a 41 minute documentary, an extremely lovely 48 page booklet jam packed with storyboard art painted by Kurosawa when trying to get financing for the film. There is even an option to play the movie using these storyboards and other paintings as images to accompany the soundtrack. I find this all extremely fascinating.

F for Fake: Excellent movie that I don't see other studio producing. In addition to the commentary track, there is a 88 minute feature documentary "Orson Welles One Man Band" and a 52 minute documentary about the art of forgery that inspired the film.

These are beautiful, thrilling DVD releases raising the bar higher than conventional studio releases. I'm sure there are more examples, but these are the ones that I have "recently" purchased and have first hand knowledge of.

Last edited by chente; 06-01-05 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-01-05, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
If there is some kind, creative soul out there with Photoshop skills, an image of Jerry Seinfeld, and some Criterion clip art, I will be forever grateful...
Old 06-01-05, 05:47 PM

Still waiting on that Ghost Dad Criterion...

I hate these threads.

Go ahead, ask me why I post in them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.