Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-31-05, 09:23 PM   #1
RonMexico
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 101
Looks like Seven Samurai wont be re-released anytime soon

It may be old news but I was thinking about holding off on purchasing the Criterion of seven samurai because it was rumored to be remastered and put back out this year. I sent Criterion a email and asked them about the rumor. They emailed me back with this response:

"We have no immediate plans for A SEVEN SAMURAI re-release.'

Best
JM


Oh well...
__________________
my tiny collection:
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=weid01
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-05, 09:58 PM   #2
djtoell
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Astoria, NY, USA
Posts: 3,333
Criterion always says that, right up until the moment a release is announced.

DJ
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-05, 10:02 PM   #3
D.Zero
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtoell
Criterion always says that, right up until the moment a release is announced.

DJ
Pretty much. Although to be honest, I'd be surprised if Criterion were to release both Ran and a remastered Seven Samurai in the same year, let alone within several months of each other.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-05, 10:08 PM   #4
djtoell
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Astoria, NY, USA
Posts: 3,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Zero
Pretty much. Although to be honest, I'd be surprised if Criterion were to release both Ran and a remastered Seven Samurai in the same year, let alone within several months of each other.
Why do you say that? Yojimbo and Sanjuro were released on the same day, although that was fairly early on and the films are related. Rashomon and Red Beard came out just a few months apart. Stray Dogs and The Lower Depths came out a month apart, which was also just a few months after Ikiru. Ran and Seven Samurai may be two of the bigger titles, but I really don't see any pattern that would prevent their release in the same year.

DJ
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-05, 10:21 PM   #5
Cameron
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 12,306
more box sets...lower price point...now thats what i want
__________________
You wanted a Sig. You got a Sig. The Hottest Sig in The World...Music Video I directed for Quiet Company <---Let me know what you think. <-Now Playing on MTV.CA
dvd aficionado
Official Fox Film Noir Thread All New Official Twilight Zone Thread
HD-DVD Supporter
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-05, 10:46 PM   #6
D.Zero
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtoell
Why do you say that? Yojimbo and Sanjuro were released on the same day, although that was fairly early on and the films are related. Rashomon and Red Beard came out just a few months apart. Stray Dogs and The Lower Depths came out a month apart, which was also just a few months after Ikiru. Ran and Seven Samurai may be two of the bigger titles, but I really don't see any pattern that would prevent their release in the same year.

DJ
I just don't see Criterion releasing two very high profile releases pretty much back-to-back. I could easily be wrong, happens all the time, hell, I hope I'm wrong, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Seven Samurai was one of the first DVD purchases I made after getting my first player back in 1998, so I'm ready for a new set but frankly, I'd rather Criterion release Kurosawa's we don't have available in one form or another here in region 1.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-05, 11:31 PM   #7
canaryfarmer
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: knoxville, tn
Posts: 1,600
When they do re-release it, hopefully they'll add the seventh samurai to the cover art.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-05, 11:52 PM   #8
Living Dead
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Living Dead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The Graveyard
Posts: 3,019
Is criterion doing Ran? I somehow managed to miss that. Has a release date been set?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-05, 12:06 AM   #9
Cameron
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 12,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Dead
Is criterion doing Ran? I somehow managed to miss that. Has a release date been set?
no date..info here

Criterion to release Kurosawa's Ran
__________________
You wanted a Sig. You got a Sig. The Hottest Sig in The World...Music Video I directed for Quiet Company <---Let me know what you think. <-Now Playing on MTV.CA
dvd aficionado
Official Fox Film Noir Thread All New Official Twilight Zone Thread
HD-DVD Supporter
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-05, 01:23 AM   #10
D-Ball
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 4,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMexico
"We have no immediate plans for A SEVEN SAMURAI re-release.'

Notice the word "immediate" which basically means it's planned but no official announcement will be made at this time. You could email JM a week before it's announced, and you would get the same response.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-05, 01:51 AM   #11
PopcornTreeCt
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 25,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMexico
It may be old news but I was thinking about holding off on purchasing the Criterion of seven samurai because it was rumored to be remastered and put back out this year. I sent Criterion a email and asked them about the rumor. They emailed me back with this response:

"We have no immediate plans for A SEVEN SAMURAI re-release.'

Best
JM


Oh well...
I know everyone else has said not to believe him but I would. I asked him about some Kurosawa films last year and he gave me a truthful answer. I would not expect it to come out this year.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-05, 07:51 PM   #12
Josh Z
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I know everyone else has said not to believe him but I would. I asked him about some Kurosawa films last year and he gave me a truthful answer. I would not expect it to come out this year.
The "no immediate plans" message is Criterion's blanket response to any and all inquiries about currently unannounced titles. The fact that they really didn't have plans for any of the titles you asked about could just be coincidence.
__________________
Josh Z
Wrtier/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever
My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 PM.

Rules - DVD Talk - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.