Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 05-28-05, 11:29 PM   #1
The Ferret

Ever spent too much on a DVD?

I feel like a chump. Provided I win my bid, i'll be spending $32 (including shipping). I just noticed it's still for sale on amazon.com for $29.96. Although with shipping to Canada and all it'd be a few dollars more, I still think it would have just been safer and easier to go with Amazon for a new copy for just a few dollars more -- no biggy I guess.

My initial thread topic was 'How much is Notorious CC Worth?', but seeing how I just answered my own question, I decided to see what similar experiences y'all have had.
Old 05-28-05, 11:36 PM   #2
The Infidel
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Considering I rarely ever buy online at one of these fantastic bargain places, a lot of people would probably say that I spend too much on DVD's all the time. I've only purchased 5 of the DVD's in my entire collection online, and even then they probably weren't at the best possible prices.
Old 05-28-05, 11:51 PM   #3
TomOpus
DVD Talk Hero

I had been collecting the anime series Texhnolyze. There was a limited number of them with the Lenticular covers. When the 4th disc came out, somehow I spaced out. I went to the usual places (Best Buy, Fry's) but I could not find any with the Lenticular covers. I even tried eBay.

Finally I knew what I had to do.... I went to Suncoast and paid MSRP. What a completist must go through.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 05-29-05, 12:05 AM   #4
cinephan

I always spent too much before I learned how fast and far they price drop. Now I get them at the $14.99 sale price the first week or I wait for the price drop six months later.

http://cinephan.dvdaf.com/
Old 05-29-05, 01:23 AM   #5
Cameron
DVD Talk Legend

missed mickey black & White vol 1....payed the OOP rate....still holds its value but it was expensive just the same
HD-DVD Supporter
Old 05-29-05, 03:13 AM   #6
RevKarl
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm a big McLintock! fan and, through another DVD Talk thread, I learned that there was a widescreen version of the film on DVD (among a myriad of bad P&S public domain releases.) Though some people had found the disc at various "Dollar" stores, I couldn't, so I bought it on eBay for ~$5 shipped. Upon watching the disc, I discovered that there was an entire reel (15-17 min.) missing! So I ended up paying $5 for a $1 disc that I'll either give or throw away.
Old 05-29-05, 03:19 AM   #7
cupon
DVD Talk Special Edition

World at War... paid $80.00, coulda got it for $25.00 locally
Eve's Bayou... paid $15.00 used, found out it was $5.99 at DDD the same day
Old 05-29-05, 05:19 AM   #8
NatrlBornThrllr
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not really. First scenario that comes to mind is when I wait and wait to purcahse a film, because I'm convinced that I'll find it used and save myself some money. I regularly check pawn shops and whatnot. Eventually, I'll cave on a title I've been holding off on for months. Then, a couple weeks down the road, one will pop up in the local pawn shop for 1/3 what I paid.

Aside from those few-and-far-between scenarios, though, I'm usually really good about hunting down bargains. For example, I picked up Ocean's Twelve, Tae Guk Gi, and House of Flying Daggers tonight for $20+tax. I was tempted to pick up Daggers when it first came out...but I waited until I found a PVD sale with more appropriate prices.

-JP
Old 05-29-05, 05:43 AM   #9
Shagrath
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When I first started buying dvds back in 98-99, I didn't know about the cheap prices you could get online, so I bought several titles for retail at SunCoast. Since then, I've been pretty much a bargain shopper, but I have had to pay some exorbitant prices for OOP stuff. Paid about $70(?) for the Mickey Mouse in Living Color Vol. 1 tin off ebay. Also getting ready to pick up the Spinal Tap: CC for $70 plus a few dvds in trade.
Old 05-29-05, 06:28 AM   #10
Max Bottomtime
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In the late 90s I could find so many online seals that the average price for my first 100 DVDs was less than $1. These days I'll pick one up the first week of release for around $15 or wait for a prive drop. The most I ever paid for a single DVD was $24 for Spinal Tap CC for a friend's birthday present.
Old 05-29-05, 09:41 AM   #11
68ShelbyGT500KR
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupon
World at War... paid $80.00, coulda got it for $25.00 locally
What type of place had World at War for $25.00? This is the new or old version? I plan on buying this set when/if the "sale" hits...
World at War

Last edited by 68ShelbyGT500KR; 05-29-05 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-29-05, 11:54 AM   #12
Rammsteinfan
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I paid $39.99 for Robocop Criterion when it was brand new on DVD back in 98(?) at Suncoast... That was too much but so were all dvd's back then.
Old 05-29-05, 01:59 PM   #13
naitram
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe in the olden days I did, but since then I've done so many Columbia House orders that it's all balanced itself out.
Old 05-29-05, 02:31 PM   #14
visitor Q
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Paid $70 for The Incredibles LE with Jack-Jack doll. I paid 16$ for the R1 copy during release week, so .. that's an extra $54 for a freakin's doll!!!! And I do not believe there are any additional features available on this R3 disc release. It's ok though - I've just begun getting into LE/Box set releases .. and I believe in most cases, if I decide to sell down the road, I should be able to recover most of the initial expense.

... and this doesn't include the $120 I just dropped for the R2 LE Kill Bill V1 uncut Box set. But, it hasn't arrived yet, so I'm only partially including it for reference.

I need to slow down ...
Old 05-29-05, 03:16 PM   #15
cupon
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68ShelbyGT500KR
What type of place had World at War for $25.00? This is the new or old version? I plan on buying this set when/if the "sale" hits...
World at War
It was the newer, brown cover 11-disc set. I saw it used in a record shop. I first noticed the price being around $70 but after noone bought it after a few weeks, they marked it down to $25. It too remained unsold for weeks. The shop knew what they had since they use a national, computer-access database to determine the values of their used DVD's, but nobody wanted it.

The most depressing thing I'd seen in their store was an unopened Mystic River 3-disc set for $7.00.
Old 05-29-05, 04:12 PM   #16
MisterHowie

Yes, the first few I bought back in 1999 were from Record Town (aka Coconus or FYE). Everything there, even the sale DVDs, is too expensive.
Old 05-29-05, 04:31 PM   #17
Dazed
DVD Talk Special Edition

I paid the vastly inflated canadian prices for several "import" criterion titles including Robocop.

athough im glad I have them now as many are OOP
Old 05-29-05, 05:24 PM   #18
Mike Lowrey
Banned

Let's see...I think I've got a couple extreme cases of over paying for some DVDs.

The first was probably buying the Crow: Dimension Collector's Edition box set with the first three movies when the box set was priced at around $80 or so. Even that was over-priced for just 3 movies. A little while after that, probably 6-12 months later, the price dropped down to around $40. Now you can get the set for $31 at DDD.

The second was Sci-Fi Channel's Frank Herbert's Dune: 3-disc Special Edition. I actually bought it a couple days before street date at an On Cue (Suncoast's sister store) for MSRP of around $30. Now you can get it for just over $9 at DDD.
Old 05-29-05, 06:01 PM   #19
gutwrencher
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Never. I want it....I'll buy it and not really care. If I own it...it was worth it, regardless of the reason.

Except for gas...I don't really pay too much for anything. Just whatever I have too. Of course I charge my customers for gas...so thats easy, peasey, japaneasee.

Sorry, just watched Shawshank.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 05-29-05 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-29-05, 08:51 PM   #20
Mr. Cinema
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty much all of FOX's first dvd releases back in 98 or 99, the ones that retailed for $34.99 and had 0 features and non-anamorphic transfers.

My Countdown Counting down to: Black Swan
Old 05-30-05, 12:59 AM   #21
Corvin
DVD Talk Special Edition

I paid a ridiculous amount of money for The Boondock Saints on DVD. Granted that that was before it had an official US DVD release, but I still laugh everytime I see it in the store for like ten dollars.
Old 05-30-05, 01:21 AM   #22
nightmaster
DVD Talk Special Edition

Everytime I spend more than $10 I feel like I've spent too much on a DVD ...

Actually, I buy the biggest percentage of my discs at pawn shops or on half.com, so I seldom ever pay more than $10, even shipped. In rare cases if I just HAVE to have something on release day, I do just that, get it while it's on sale rather than wait a week when it raises $5.
Old 05-30-05, 01:31 AM   #23
Living Dead
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Every time I buy a Criterion DVD, I pay too much.
Old 05-30-05, 07:59 AM   #24
boredsilly
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I came late to the game so I've pretty much kept the price which I buy my dvds to be pretty low (if not free when those sites were still popping).

The most I payed for a dvd was the complete Ronin Warriors set. It was like $77 (still under going rate) but it hurt just the same.
Old 05-31-05, 08:04 AM   #25
ianholm
DVD Talk Special Edition

I paid $50 for a copy of Weird Science on Ebay when it was out of print. Six months later, I could get the Hughes High School Reunion set for half that price. I didn't even watch the Image disc in the meantime.
Sponsored Links