Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Unrated/R-rated/'alternate cut' films on DVD + Bluray (Region 1 only)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Unrated/R-rated/'alternate cut' films on DVD + Bluray (Region 1 only)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-05, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dressed To Kill (1980) has the X-rated cut on R1. The UK/Euro R2 only has the R Rated cut (I think).
Old 05-02-05, 07:23 AM

"Pretty Woman"...only the unrated director's cut is on DVD and the upcoming "15th Ann. Ed." is, again, to be the longer, unrated, director's cut of the film. I don't believe the theatrical cut of the film has ever been available on DVD in region 1. Not sure if this is the case in other regions or with earlier formats.
Old 05-02-05, 09:26 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by whotony
giles, i was wondering if you are updating the first post or just adding a new post with the updated list.

first post update with a bump post would make it easier to see the list when you update it.
noted, edited and corrected, the first list will be the only list
Old 05-02-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you left The Big Red One off
Old 05-02-05, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Deke Rivers
you left The Big Red One off
oops, so sorry
Old 07-11-05, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
I believe 'Thief' was modified as well
GuamGuy, or anyone else, do you know if the Region 2 (UK) disc of Thief is this "special director's editon"? I don't think it is, as nothing like it is listed under special features. I would like to know if it is the original theatrical cut. The US version, which also was on VHS, has some added footage at the end, and it looks bad; I've heard reports of bad audio/video synch in this new footage.
Old 07-11-05, 08:56 AM

thanks for the thread bump, Egon's Ghost - sorry I don't have an answer to your questino, but it gave me the opportunity to update the list.
Old 07-28-05, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Egon's Ghost
GuamGuy, or anyone else, do you know if the Region 2 (UK) disc of Thief is this "special director's editon"? I don't think it is, as nothing like it is listed under special features. I would like to know if it is the original theatrical cut. The US version, which also was on VHS, has some added footage at the end, and it looks bad; I've heard reports of bad audio/video synch in this new footage.
UPDATE: in response to my own question, one of the big Czech music/video retailers is ordering for me the UK version of THIEF, nowhere on which is written "director's cut" or "scenes not in the theatre" like the U.S. disc. It will take about a month. So, if anyone else is interested (there have been discussions on this forum about Mann's "directorial revisionism"), I'll post my findings.

(By the way, I now have the Japanese MGM disc of Manhunter, the UK Last of the Mohicans--the TRUE theatrical cuts of these movies that don't exist in R1. I really hope I can add Thief to this list.)
Old 07-28-05, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Father Karras
"Pretty Woman"...only the unrated director's cut is on DVD and the upcoming "15th Ann. Ed." is, again, to be the longer, unrated, director's cut of the film. I don't believe the theatrical cut of the film has ever been available on DVD in region 1. Not sure if this is the case in other regions or with earlier formats.
Yeah, this is one of the few Director's cuts where I actually preferred the original theatrical version. I have the theatrical cut on laserdisc, but it's P&S
Old 07-28-05, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This could be a damn long thread.
Old 07-28-05, 08:12 AM

I knew the movie "Don't Look Now" (1973) very very well from vhs days and when I got the Paramount dvd I knew right away that one scene was longer. The dvd contains the original "X" version before a few cuts were made to get an R.
Old 07-28-05, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
This could be a damn long thread.

yeah it could be, but it's nice to see it bumped occassionaly so I can update it.
Old 07-28-05, 08:54 AM

Star Wars: Episode 3 - Revenge of the Sith (expanded DLP theatrical cut)
I thought there was no difference between the DLP and regular cuts?
Old 07-28-05, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by SteveBlair
I thought there was no difference between the DLP and regular cuts?

yeah, there was talk that there was a difference but from what I have heard and seen I don't think there is a difference - so... I'm gonna delete this from the list. Thanks for the reminder
Old 08-17-05, 08:35 AM

bump ^ updated list
Old 08-17-05, 10:02 AM

This is the first time I noticed this thread. It seems rather slim. Seems like half of everything released is unrated, etc.

Anyways, my contribution is Anchorman Unrated, My Own Private Idaho DC and maybe Swamp Thing (it was originally released in a R-rated form but said PG and was discontinued...and is being released again as PG?)
Old 08-17-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Tears of the Sun?
Old 08-17-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

and don't forget the upcoming Sin City re-release with all the extended footage.
Old 08-17-05, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by gbub
This is the first time I noticed this thread. It seems rather slim. Seems like half of everything released is unrated, etc.

Anyways, my contribution is Anchorman Unrated, My Own Private Idaho DC and maybe Swamp Thing (it was originally released in a R-rated form but said PG and was discontinued...and is being released again as PG?)

It's slim because it's a work in progress reference list - every contribution is greatly appreciated. I thought it would be a great idea to have a list that would refect what studios are releasing as extended cuts, edited versions that differed from the original theatrical version (i.e, Disney's Aladdin), NC-17 rated versions disguised as "unrated", etc.

what's the story with My Own Private Idaho - is there actually previousily deleted footage reinstated back into the film?

Last edited by Giles; 08-17-05 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-17-05, 10:38 AM

what's the story with My Own Private Idaho - is there actually previousily deleted footage reinstated back into the film?
I never saw it when it first came out. There appears to be 2 min. of difference between the theatrical and DVD releases. I'm guessing there's some sex or nudity put back in.
Old 08-23-05, 09:44 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Time to remove BATMAN FOREVER from the "Rumored" list...the forthcoming SE will be the theatrical edit only (this has been confirmed with Warner Bros.).
Old 08-23-05, 09:52 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Oh, and you need to add:

STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE--The Director's Edition (Robert Wise's final edit of the film)

STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN--The Director's Edition (all the extended "TV broadcast" footage incorporated into the original film)

STAR TREK VI: THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY (Nicholas Meyer's preferred DVD edit, with slight footage additions)
Old 08-23-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sling Blade
Old 08-23-05, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Sling Blade

thanks there, I realized that I had mispelled that title
Old 08-30-05, 12:41 PM

^ updated list

addition:
- Dark Water

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.