Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Lucas confirms that Young Indy's coming in late '05 or '06. (merged)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Lucas confirms that Young Indy's coming in late '05 or '06. (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-08, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't go into it expecting the films, or you will be deeply disappointed. It's an historical adventure show made primarily for kids. Despite its production costs, a lot of times it comes off as low-rent Indy with a middle-school-history-class slant. I think the show is a lot of fun, but if you're on the fence, I don't know that I'd recommend dropping $75+ on it. Try to rent some of the WWI episodes, which are among the best of the series.
Old 03-18-08, 06:41 PM

I was at the Wizard Convention on Sunday and sat in on "Star Wars and Indiana Jones: What's Hot from Lucasfilm." Lucasfilm's Steve Sansweet said Volume 3 would be a 10 disc set, with 7 movies that are 2 hours each and more than 30 hours of new documentary footage.
Old 03-19-08, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by JeremyM
Does it have enough of the "Indy magic?"
Definitely not. But then again, I don't think it was ever really intended to be a true chronicle of Young Indy's life. It was designed to be more of a teaching tool to get kids interested in history by using a character they (sorta) know (knew) as their guide. The show is less about building Indy as the character we eventually know and love in the films and more about using him as "Zelig-in-a-fedora" in order to meet and learn more about a variety of historical figures and events.

And as far as the Old Indy wraparounds go, yeah, they sucked but they could have been seamlessly branched, allowing the viewer the option of watching them or not. And I still maintain that the absence of John Williams' themes really hurt whatever "magic" the show might have captured. For proof of this, watch the Harrison Ford wraparounds in "The Mystery of the Blues" and how the show comes to life thanks to the sudden inclusion of Williams' themes.

Having said all of that, it's a very handsomely-produced show, with some great locations and visuals. Especially being done on the cheap, as it was. To bad there have been no proper behind-the-scenes documentaries in the various sets, given how cutting edge the show's production was, and how it broke ground for producing the STAR WARS Prequels.
Old 03-19-08, 03:55 PM

For anyone just wanting to catch an episode, the History Channel airs Young Indy episodes on Saturday mornings at 7 ET. At that time most people are probably still asleep, but you could set the Tivo or VCR to record it.
Old 04-14-08, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I got my screener of Volume Three this morning, and I'm very happy to report that the Harrison Ford scenes are INTACT for "Mystery of the Blues".
Old 04-14-08, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LoPan5705
For anyone just wanting to catch an episode, the History Channel airs Young Indy episodes on Saturday mornings at 7 ET. At that time most people are probably still asleep, but you could set the Tivo or VCR to record it.
VCR? ha ha ha good one.
Old 05-03-08, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I want to get the box sets, but at 90 bucks each I'm not so sure.

Luca$$ + Paramount = empty wallet

Old 05-03-08, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jedi Master 33
VCR? ha ha ha good one.
hey i have a vcr and have never used a tivo or whatever. why pay a monthly fee for something you can do for free previously?
Old 05-11-08, 07:00 AM
Cool New Member

Is there gonna be a box set for this?
Old 05-11-08, 07:50 AM

Saw earlier a BB ad that has these for $49.99, not great but I think that's $30 cheaper than normal.
Old 05-12-08, 02:30 AM

Volumes 1-3 @ $49.99 each this week at BB.
Old 05-16-08, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Question guys,

What is the episode where Harrison Ford appears as an older Indiana Jones? Is it in volume 3? What disc is it on?

I wasn't planning on getting this since I'm cutting back on DVD purchases, but $49.99 at Best Buy was way to tempting to pass on for Volume 3 and I went ahead and finished my collection. I wish I would have waited on Volume 1 and 2, since I bought those for $70 a piece when they were originally released. Considering the MSRP is $129, $50 a set or $150 for the entire 3 volumes is a bargain and most likely won't go down any lower than that.

I barely remember this show when it was on ABC years ago. Does this series end with any closure leading into the films? Or does it end abruptly because I seem to remember it was cancelled.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-16-08 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-17-08, 02:26 AM

awesome!
Old 05-17-08, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I actually started watching these yesterday (rented through Netflix). Relatively entertaining so far, but I'm hoping they pick up as we meet the new Indy.

DJariya, I believe Harrison Ford appears during the intro & outro of "Mystery of the Blues" on Volume 3. I don't have the set, but a look at the disc breakdowns tells me it's on disc 6.
Old 05-17-08, 01:04 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I will see indiana jones with my mom and dad after church on the weekend.
Old 05-17-08, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Originally Posted by Rizor
I actually started watching these yesterday (rented through Netflix). Relatively entertaining so far, but I'm hoping they pick up as we meet the new Indy.

DJariya, I believe Harrison Ford appears during the intro & outro of "Mystery of the Blues" on Volume 3. I don't have the set, but a look at the disc breakdowns tells me it's on disc 6.
Thanks. Now I have something to look forward to in Volume 3.
Old 05-18-08, 09:46 AM

I think in Volume 3 he meets Dracula...should be interesting. I've blown a lot of $$ on the last two...why not the 3rd?
Old 05-20-15, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Lucas confirms that Young Indy's coming in late '05 or '06. (merged)

Picked all three volumes up from eBay, just got it in today, looks like there's a WEALTH of bonus features....never saw it growing up, so should be fun to visit.
Old 05-20-15, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

One of the best purchases I made. The historical documentaries are highly educational.
Old 06-04-15, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
One of the best purchases I made. The historical documentaries are highly educational.
Likewise. I bought them when they were first released, imported to the UK. So they were $100-odd, converted into pounds plus the Post Office's gouging import fees. It annoyed me when the prices dropped dramatically, but even then: I don't regret buying them when I did.

However, I do hope that now Disney own LucasFilm they'll be re-released. Keep the documentaries, but return the show to episodic format - with the opening/closing Old Indy scenes. That I've never seen, but want to.

It would be a welcome double-dip: "splitting" episodes back to how they were adds the opening/closing scenes, brings back together some of the 'paired' young/teen episodes and eradicates the confusion when he grows up several years in the space of days and then de-ages again shortly after.

The Chronological approach is a good one, but I want to buy the series "properly" AS WELL. With proper retrospective documentaries on the SHOW as well as the subjects. Interviews with cast and crew. Some focus on the novels and the comic strip - does anyone even remember that the comic strip exists? I do. I had them all for many years, too. Wonder who'll put that (back) in print at some point...

Last edited by ntnon; 06-04-15 at 10:30 PM.