Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

House of 1000 Corpses: Dir. Cut???

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
House of 1000 Corpses: Dir. Cut???

I heard a while ago that Rob Zombie was under contract, to Lion's Gate, to put out a Director's Cut of House of 1000 Corpses.

Seeing that Devil's Rejects is coming out in a couple months, I was wondering if anyone's got any info on a updated DVD?
Old 04-24-05, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
same here.

I've been holding from buying the present release to get the director's cut.
Old 04-24-05, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From what Rob Zombie said on his own website a long time ago that there will not be a director's cut in the near future. Due to his work on Devil's Rejects, touring and other projects, he does not have enough time to do a proper director's cut. He also said it would be very difficult to reinsert the cut footage with the current soundtrack, so the score and much of the sound would have to be redone.
Old 04-24-05, 12:05 PM

I've been hoping for news on this too - but with no word on it for a long time, I finally bought the current release last month. It was really cheap, so I figured that if a dir. cut does appear I could maybe upgrade without having spent much on this version.
Anyway, "Devil's Rejects" should be interesting...

Dazza.
Old 04-24-05, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
I can understand not having the time to re-edit the deleted scenes into a complete new film. But this DVD was a no-buy because the deleted/edited scenes weren't (at least according to DVD reviews) included at all. It would have taken zero effort, and would have mollified most fans, but wasn't done.

Anyway, whenever a sequel or remake comes out, that pretty screams out double-dip of the original. I guess the question is whether the dip will coincide with the theatrical release or DVD release? And this would just be so easy a dip to do, and still get all the buyers of the original to rebuy. Then when Zombie gets around to making a director's cut -- triple dip!!!
Old 04-24-05, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Rob Zombie has said that due to the fact that House of 1000 Corpses had moved around to so many studios before finding a home at Lion's Gate that much of the uncut footage has been lost. Personally I think House of 1000 Corpses works as is. There is the right amount of gore. I think that the movie would be hurt if you added in more gore. Yes, I said it!!! Some movies can be hurt if you add in more gore.
Old 04-24-05, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Before the first dvd release of House he said they would revisit the uncut version in the future. We still have yet to see this come to reality. If he is now saying the footage is not available, which I personally don't believe, why should we believe that there will be an uncut dvd version of The Devil's Rejects, which I believe he claimed on the movie's website recently?
Old 04-24-05, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
I doubt he will ever put it out. He keeps biding his time with it hoping we will all forget about it and move on to something else. I really think he has little interest in even putting it out.
Old 04-24-05, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i think the problem has always been Lions Gate, proven by their recent history. meanwhile Rob Zombie tows the company line and makes up every excuse there is, like there is no unused footage (the most idiotic excuse of the bunch) to its been lost (doubt it) to he doesnt have the time (the most practical). i just dont think he wants to bash Lions Gate at this point since he wanted to make a sequel. cant blame him but disappointing.
Old 04-24-05, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually, on his own website, when the DVD was released, he said this was the DC and not to look for any other disc in the future.
Old 04-24-05, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by renaldow
Actually, on his own website, when the DVD was released, he said this was the DC and not to look for any other disc in the future.
He says a lot then. From his message board on the Devil's Reject's site.

Will there ever be a "Director's Cut" of the House Of 1000 Corpses? I seen in a interview where you mentioned that there is a cut, but don't know if it would see a release.

Answer: Maybe someday, but as of right now it does not exisit. If I ever get any free time maybe I'll get to it.

Here he is saying the Devil's Rejects will get an uncut release.

"Well Rejects, after several months of submitting and resubmitting our film to the MPAA we have finally recieved an R rating. The film was immediately slapped with an NC-17 and it took six recuts to achieve our goal. Getting an R wasn't easy, but we did it. Every cut hurts, but I don't think the intensity of the film was damaged at all.

For those of you wondering why we didn't release the movie with NC-17 or unrated? Well, the reason is that the number of theatres showing the film would be so few that most of you would never get to experience this awesome film on the big screen. I would rather be playing on 3000 screens than 3.

Yes, there will be a longer unrated version on DVD. I promise."
Old 04-24-05, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope we get the uncut House soon,and Rejects better be released uncut immediately(instead of waiting years again).

A few seconds cut is easier to handle(Saw),but when a film has to be resubmitted more than two times. The cuts can get drastic.
Old 04-24-05, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good to see everyone enjoying Zombie. I am looking forward to Rejects and I am also ecstatic that he joined Ozzfest. I did not expect him to tour with his movie releasing at the same time. I am not expecting a directors cut for quite sometime if at all.
Old 04-24-05, 11:21 PM
Banned

I never even bothered watching this movie in theaters. There were promises of an NC-17 cut which suddenly dissapeared. Of course I expected the uncut DVD and well, that didn't happen either. I don't think I'll ever watch this movie.
Old 04-24-05, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
as much as I'd like an uncut version of house of 1000 corpses, I do enjoy the movie how it is. hopefully though Zombie will put out Devil's Rejects uncut on DVD, then all will be fine
Old 04-24-05, 11:27 PM

As a once almost obsessive Zombie fan, I was reallyreally looking forward to a "director's cut/uncut" version, but he made it pretty clear that there would never be once released and that it didn't even exist (whether that's true or he said that to get people to stop asking, who knows) Sooo... don't get your hopes up, you'll only get your heart broke.
Old 04-25-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just saw this for the first time last night. I think it's violent enough. What more do you want to see>?
Old 04-25-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
Just saw this for the first time last night. I think it's violent enough. What more do you want to see>?
I want to see the scenes where Grandpa is actually Dr. Satan. The movie takes a very different turn in its original version than the one released in the theaters. There are several minutes of footage that were shot (supposedly) that completely changes the way the movie ends.
Old 04-25-05, 04:05 PM
Banned

I think that Rob's just indifferent to releasing it again. At this time, anyway...

As for this "the footage is lost" bullshit, if you are a Zombie fan, you might recall way back when (in 1999) on the inside of the "American Made Music To Strip By" remix CD, that Rob promised the following:

"Coming soon: the Hellbilly Deluxe DVD, with 10 music videos!"

However, this was not released for about 4 years (that's definitely not "coming soon"), despite incessant requests/demands from fans. His reasons given during the DVDs absence included all the same ones he gives above for the Director's Cut of House of 1000 Corpses. In fact, he even gave a couple new ones...that the music videos were stolen, and then later, that they had been "kidnapped" by a former employee. I personally think he has some sort of "tortured artist" syndrome, where he only works when he wants to (or needs the extra moolah, lol). Basically, as a fan, I think he is a lazy perfectionist, and I've learned that with Rob, it'll be good if it comes out....but don't ever, EVER, EVER hold your breath waiting!!!
Old 04-25-05, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
I think that Rob's just indifferent to releasing it again. At this time, anyway...

As for this "the footage is lost" bullshit, if you are a Zombie fan, you might recall way back when (in 1999) on the inside of the "American Made Music To Strip By" remix CD, that Rob promised the following:

"Coming soon: the Hellbilly Deluxe DVD, with 10 music videos!"

However, this was not released for about 4 years (that's definitely not "coming soon"), despite incessant requests/demands from fans. His reasons given during the DVDs absence included all the same ones he gives above for the Director's Cut of House of 1000 Corpses. In fact, he even gave a couple new ones...that the music videos were stolen, and then later, that they had been "kidnapped" by a former employee. I personally think he has some sort of "tortured artist" syndrome, where he only works when he wants to (or needs the extra moolah, lol). Basically, as a fan, I think he is a lazy perfectionist, and I've learned that with Rob, it'll be good if it comes out....but don't ever, EVER, EVER hold your breath waiting!!!
I remember that fiasco and agree it's nothing new with Rob. He is involved in to many things between his art, movies, music ect ....

Long time fans of his might remember the official White Zombie site back in the mid 90s. After Astro Creep came out it was posted that the band was working on their third major album under Geffen Records. 2-3 years of the same messages about a new record coming out and then it was announced the band would be breaking up instead. I was very dissapointed after that to say the least.
Old 04-25-05, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I want to see the scenes where Grandpa is actually Dr. Satan. The movie takes a very different turn in its original version than the one released in the theaters. There are several minutes of footage that were shot (supposedly) that completely changes the way the movie ends.
From what I have read about the Dr. Satan scene it would be like cutting out the family dinner scene in Texas Chainsaw. I'd like to see how everything goes down as well, but as it was scripted.