Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

CURSED PG-13 and Unrated Editions 6/21

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-05, 12:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CURSED PG-13 and Unrated Editions 6/21

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-...005/04_06.html

On June 21st, Buena Vista Home Entertainment is bringing Cursed to DVD in two forms: the PG-13 rated theatrical release and an unrated director's cut complete with commentary by director Wes Craven and screenwriter Kevin Williamson. A rather eclectic cast that includes Christina Ricci, Portia de Rossi, and Shannon Elizabeth find themselves ankle deep in bloody goings on as werewolves stalk and . . . Details about the release are sketchy at this point, but I'd expect the usual presentation of anamorphic video and Dolby Digital. Bonus features are reported to include several featurettes: "Behind The Fangs: the Making of Cursed;" "The Cursed Effects;" and, "Becoming a Werewolf" focusing on Rick Baker. The SRP will likely be $29.95.
I didn't really think this movie was as bad as everyone says it was. As a fan of Craven and Williamson, I'll be picking up the director's cut to hear what they have to say about the film, and also to see the extra gore and footage.

Last edited by Ghostface180; 04-11-05 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-11-05, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll grab the unrated one.
Old 04-11-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Count me in for Unrated. What a fiasco the whole theatrical release was.
Old 04-11-05, 12:37 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I think Craven purposefully screwed Dimension/Miramax over with a bad film, since his involvement in the current Project Greenlight fiilm looks like an impending trainwreck itself.
Old 04-11-05, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be picking up the unrated one as well.
Old 04-11-05, 01:06 PM

I knew that the unrated was slated for an eventual video release - read that the violence obviousily was spliced with random abandonment for the theatrical cut, but that didn't stop my friend from wanting to see it in the theatre - oh well, can't wait to see the extra grue.
Old 04-11-05, 01:11 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Most definitely looking forward to the Unrated version.
Old 04-11-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I love how if they resubmitted it, it would most likely just be rated R (if that, I wouldn't be surprised if it was still rated pg-13) But how the hell are you going to market a slightly higher rated film? Screw that, slap the UNRATED label and you got instant sales.

I doubt anyone would really choose the pg-13 version over the "unrated" version. Just have to wonder why they even bother anymore.
Old 04-11-05, 02:26 PM

because parents still think that little Johnny age 12 can and should enjoy a PG-13 rated horror film.
Old 04-11-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw the pg-13 in the theater and thought it was decent. I hope the unrated improves on the story alot.
Old 04-11-05, 02:46 PM

as a comedy it was a hoot, as a Wes Craven horror film - it was quite flawed.
Old 04-11-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by Giles
because parents still think that little Johnny age 12 can and should enjoy a PG-13 rated horror film.

amazing enough, little johnny at age 12 can purchase r-rated films at best buy if he has the money to pay for it.
Old 04-11-05, 03:52 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
amazing enough, little johnny at age 12 can purchase r-rated films at best buy if he has the money to pay for it.
Oh well...at least it gives the parents some closure knowing they can buy little Johnny the PG-13 version, only to have him go and get the R-rated version himself.
Old 04-11-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought the pg-13 one was terrible, hopefully the unrated one can salvage the mess.
Old 04-11-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I have the feeling that the unrated version will suck just like the PG-13, but I might give the unrated a rent.
Old 04-11-05, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
I think Craven purposefully screwed Dimension/Miramax over with a bad film, since his involvement in the current Project Greenlight fiilm looks like an impending trainwreck itself.

Yeah. Do you even know the history behind the film?

So shhh.

[I'm not defending the film, but from what Craven has said for the past three years, he did not intentionally fuck the Weinsteins over. Hell, they let him do Music of the Heart.]

P.S. And this release should've been a two-disc set at least. One disc with the R (or un-)rated release of the 2005 theatrical version and another disc with the inital film that Craven and Williamson shot that was originally scrapped.

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 04-11-05 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-11-05, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was really pleasntly surprised with this film expecting a trainwreck and getting a farily decent film... I was hoping that atleast some of the deleted scenes with the old script/actors would have been included. But maybe there hoping on to that for the direct-to-dvd sequel... wes craven himself said they had enough footage for atleast 2 if not 3 additional movies.
Old 04-11-05, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i'll rent the unrated...
Old 04-11-05, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Any idea whether this will just be the theaterical version with a little extra gore or will it be the movie that was originally shot/intended, then altered?
Old 04-11-05, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by clemente
Any idea whether this will just be the theaterical version with a little extra gore or will it be the movie that was originally shot/intended, then altered?

Lets put it this way, the original that was shot and intended did so bad in test screenings that they had to sit on it for almost two years to release it.
Old 04-12-05, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm soooooo glad that Craven actually has something to do with the DVD release. I was afraid he wouldn't since he's been badmouthing the film forever. I was afraid no commentary would be on there. I love Craven's commentaries and I like Wes Craven a lot he is my favorite director. And even though Cursed was a pretty shitty movie I think the unrated version will most likely be a lot better!

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Lets put it this way, the original that was shot and intended did so bad in test screenings that they had to sit on it for almost two years to release it.
That's not what Craven said in Fangoria. He said that they shot for 11 weeks or something. Dimension put a stop to the filming for a while then they would told to rewrite the script and start shooting from scratch. The original idea wasn't even completely finished.

Last edited by The Monkees; 04-12-05 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-12-05, 12:27 AM

Although I pretty much hated the theatrical cut, I'll give the DC a fair look once it hits DVD. (I owe Craven at least that much.) Plus he's been outspokenly critical of the way in which the studio(s) mangled this project, so here's hoping he brings that candor into the audio commentary.

I'm not expecting much of an improvement, but I'll give the flick a second shot. I'm quite curious to see if it's actually a "Director's Cut" or if it's the cut Dimension was set to release ... before they snipped it for the PG-13 about six days before release. From what I've read there's a world of difference between those two versions.
Old 04-12-05, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dimension released a more explicit version of the film theatrically in Canada which (which got a 14a rating up there). I'm expecting the "Unrated" release to be what was shown in Canada. Maybe it might be a bit more intense, but who knows. I just want both versions of the flick on DVD.

And is it odd that there's going to be a featurette on Rick Baker?

You know, since his work NEVER MADE IT into the final version of the film? In turn we got terrible CGI werewolves by KNB. [Rick Baker left the project before Craven reshot the flick for a second time.]
Old 04-12-05, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by The Monkees
That's not what Craven said in Fangoria. He said that they shot for 11 weeks or something. Dimension put a stop to the filming for a while then they would told to rewrite the script and start shooting from scratch. The original idea wasn't even completely finished.

Guess you are right

Production on the film was restarted in December 2003 after a lengthy work stoppage due to creative difficulties – problems with special effects, the story and more. You can track the film's production history by viewing the "related links" below. When the project was rebooted late last year, Craven explained, "Quite an extraordinary amount of new material is going to be shot, and a lot of material is going to be thrown away."

The cast was altered and the film has basically been reshot, but it's apparently still not totally golden.
Though the reason wasn't for test screening results, but for just general production problems. Still, when you need to reshoot/retool the majority of a film and it still doesn't come out good. it's a pretty clear problem.
Old 04-12-05, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Even if the first film "wasn't" finished, Craven himself mentioned in numerous reports, that he shot at least 95% of that initial first film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.