Greta Garbo box sets from Warners in Sept. 2005

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 05-11-05, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, the initial information for this is twice removed:

Over at HTF, there is a thread reporting another thread over at the Criterion Forum that Warner Home Video is planning to release two (2) Greta Garbo box sets in September 2005, in honor of the actress's 100th birthday.

The first, a 2-disc set, will be part of their TCM Archive/Silent Classics series, features The Temptress (1926); Flesh and the Devil (1926); and The Mysterious Lady (1928).

In addition, a "Greta Garbo: Signature Collection" set will also be released, containing Anna Christie (1930); Mata Hari (1931); Queen Christina (1933); Anna Karenina (1935); Camille (1936); and Ninotchka (1939).

Update: Major line-up changes to Signature collection; see post #11 for full details!

Here's the HTF link:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=233400

And the link to the original Criterion Forum thread (you need to be a registered user to view it):

http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/...pic.php?t=2244

Last edited by RevKarl; 05-13-05 at 01:27 AM.
Old 05-11-05, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Both releases look great! WB strikes again!
Old 05-11-05, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woohoo!!! A week after Top Hat and Swing Time were annouced, Here comes another great from WB!!!
Old 05-11-05, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

great news....and more silent movies from warner is always a good thing...consider these owned

now where is the the greta garbo own3d pic...someone get on that
Old 05-11-05, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RevKarl
Again, all this is unconfirmed by WB,
Warner confirmed the larger set three weeks ago for an article I wrote that ran April 26. It's to celebrate Garbo's centennial. Nothing was said then about the silent set, though.
Old 05-11-05, 10:57 PM

Long time lurker - first time poster. Please be gentle.

This is great news. Not only is Garbo an iconic figure with such a consistent body of work that she seems to validate the Actor as Autuer argument, but the second box consists of an array of very good films.

Ninotchka is probably the best overall film, but Karenina has a richness and truth of emotion that is so rare in modern film. It is also much better than the Vivien Leigh re-make or the BBC television version of the 1970's.

Queen Christina is wonderfully directed as well.

With regard to Anna Christie, I understand that as an early sound film it was shot three times - in English, Swedish and I think, German? Not just dubbed, but completely re-shot films on the same sets with different actors in some of the supporting roles. Similar to the situation with the Bela Lugosi Dracula and the astonishing Spanish version made at the same time.

In one of her rare interviews, Garbo said that she greatly preferred the little seen Swedish version and her performance in it. Naturally, Warner will release the English attempt, but hopefully they will include a featurette with clips from the other versions of keys scenes so that we may compare them?
Old 05-11-05, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Over at HTF, there is a thread reporting.....
And like I said there...I'm getting all Garbo titles.
Old 05-12-05, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Hu Phan
Long time lurker - first time poster. Please be gentle.
We're always gentle

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks RevKarl, that 'Signature Collection' set will be mine on release day

Last edited by Al_Tahoe; 05-12-05 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-12-05, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'll get the signature collection. Wish they would have included Conquest and a rerelease of Grand Hotel in a keep-case
Old 05-12-05, 07:40 PM

Artworks are HERE!!!!

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=57115
Old 05-12-05, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yoink

Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Garbo: The Signature Collection for 6th September 2005. Released in celebration of the luminous and mysterious star’s 100th birthday on September 18, the ten film, ten disc Collection includes seven Garbo classics – six of which are brand new to DVD including Mata Hari, Leo Tolstoy’s Anna Karenina, the four-time Academy Award®-nominated Ninotchka, Queen Christina, Anna Christie and Camille, as well as the previously released Academy Award Best Picture winner Grand Hotel. The Collection also includes the deluxe two-disc TCM Archives: Garbo Silents with three of the star’s greatest silent films – Flesh and the Devil, The Temptress and The Mysterious Lady. In addition, the brand new insightful bonus feature-length documentary from acclaimed filmmaker Kevin Brownlow and Turner Classic Movies, Garbo, featuring interviews with Garbo’s friends and colleagues, is available exclusively with the gift set.

Garbo: The Signature Collection will sell for $99.92 SRP and the two-disc TCM Archives: Garbo Silents will be available as a separate set for $39.92 SRP. Each Garbo: The Signature Collection title will also be available individually for $19.97 SRP.

About the Signature Collection

TCM Archives: Garbo Silents
This TCM Archives two-disc collection focuses on Garbo’s earliest years in Hollywood. In The Temptress (1926) Garbo establishes her magnetic screen persona as a vamp who destroys the lives of men who cannot resist her charms. In Flesh and the Devil (1927), she is an irresistible vixen who comes between lifelong friends John Gilbert and Lars Hanson, and in The Mysterious Lady (1928), she’s a Russian spy who seduces her victims. Each film greatly contributed in building the Garbo legend that still fascinates audiences almost 80 years later.

DVD Special Features include:
Settling the Score Goes Behind the Scenes of the TCM Young Film Composers Competition and the Scoring of Notable Silent Movies, Including These Garbo Classics
Commentary on Flesh and the Devil by Garbo Author Barry Paris
Commentary on The Temptress by Greta Garbo: A Cinematic Legacy Author Mark A. Vieira
Commentary on Mysterious Lady by Film Historians Tony Maietta and Jeffrey Vance
The Divine Woman: Surviving 9-Minute Excerpt of This Lost 1928 Silent Film
Alternate Ending on The Temptress
Photo Montages on Garbo’s Silent Years at MGM
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Anna Christie (1930)
Garbo made her landmark transition to “Talkies” with this film, playing a former prostitute whose past threatens her chance for happiness. A different director and cast join Garbo in a German-language version (Side B, with English subtitles) filmed on the same sound stages immediately after the English version. Later, Garbo called it the better film, and this new DVD release gives fans the rare opportunity to compare the two versions.

German-Language Version
Subtitles: English, French & Spanish

Mata Hari (1931)
Garbo is mesmerizing as a dancer turned German secret agent in wartime Paris seething with secrets and betrayal. The notable supporting cast includes Lionel Barrymore as a Russian general in love with her, Lewis Stone as an icy master spy and Ramon Novarro as a handsome aviator who wins the heart Mata Hari did not know she possessed.

Theatrical Trailer

Grand Hotel (1932)
Ruined aristocrat John Barrymore. Terminally ill clerk Lionel Barrymore. Ruthless tycoon Wallace Beery. Scheming stenographer Joan Crawford. And disillusioned ballerina Greta Garbo. Based on Vicki Baum's novel and produced by Irving Thalberg, this radiant film captured the 1932 Best Picture Academy Award.

New Documentary Checking Out: Grand Hotel
Premiere Newsreel
Vintage Musical Short Nothing Ever Happens
Just a Word of Warning Theatre Announcement
Trailers of the film and the 1945 Remake of Week-End at the Waldorf
Languages: English & French

Queen Christina (1933)
To escape the burdens of the monarchy, Sweden’s Queen Christina (Garbo) rides into the countryside disguised as a boy. She meets and secretly falls for a dashing Spanish envoy on his way to the royal court. When her lover’s true identity is revealed, Christina knows her people will not accept her marriage to a foreigner. Torn between her duty and her heart, she must make a fateful decision. Garbo is luminous in this lavish costume drama, starring with her one-time off-screen fiancé John Gilbert under the direction of Rouben Mamoulian.

Theatrical Trailer

Anna Karenina (1935)
Leo Tolstoy’s novel of a dutiful wife and doting mother who gives up her life of contentment to experience real passion, receives sumptuous treatment in a David O. Selznick production. Clarence Brown directs a stellar cast – including Fredric March, Basil Rathbone, Maureen O’Sullivan and Freddie Bartholomew. Greta Garbo is the soul of the film in a nuanced performance that won the New York Film Critics Best Actress Award. At the height of her art, Garbo is unforgettable as a woman helpless in love’s grasp and heartbroken at the loss of her son.

Theatrical Trailer

Camille (1936)
Life in 1847 Paris is as spirited as champagne and as unforgiving as the gray morning after. In gambling dens and lavish soirees, men of means exert their wills and women turned courtesans exult in pleasure. One such woman is Marguerite Gautier (Garbo), the Camille of this sumptuous romantic tale based on the enduring Alexandre Dumas story.

Garbo earned an Academy Award nomination and the New York Film Critics Best Actress Award for her memorable work in this George Cukor-directed film.

1921 Silent Version Starring Alla Nazimova and Rudolph Valentino
Audio Bonus: Leo Is On the Air Radio Promo
1936 Version Theatrical Trailer

Ninotchka (1939)
Garbo shines in her first comedy, a frothy tale of a dour Russian envoy sublimating her womanhood for Soviet brotherhood until she falls for a suave Parisian man-about-town (Melvyn Douglas). Working from a clever script written in part by Billy Wilder, director Ernst Lubitsch knew better than anyone how to marry refinement with sublime wit. That’s how we see Garbo’s love struck Ninotchka: serenely dignified yet endearingly ridiculous.

1967 BBC Show Garbo – hosted by Joan Crawford
Theatrical Trailer of this Film and Its Musical Remake Silk Stockings

TCM Original Documentary: Garbo (2005)
A brand-new Turner Classic Movies original, feature-length profile from legendary documentarian Kevin Brownlow and his Photoplay Productions, Garbo offers an intimate look at the life and career of Greta Garbo. Brownlow’s unique portrait of the enigmatic actress is drawn through rare footage, new and vintage interviews with biographers and admirers, plus many of the friends, relatives and associates who came closest to penetrating the lonely star’s veil of solitude. Her career is illustrated with clips from all her movies, ranging from her early film work in Sweden to such Hollywood triumphs as Anna Christie, Grand Hotel, Camille, Ninotchka and her swan song in 1941’s Two-Faced Woman.

Among those offering analysis and reminiscences are biographers Barry Paris; actor/playwright Charles Busch; Garbo’s niece and great nephews, Gray, Derek and Scott Reisfeld and friends Gore Vidal, Gavin Lambert, Jack Larson and Sam Green, Garbo’s confidante and walking companion for 20 years. Archival interviews include those with childhood friend Mimi Pollak, author Adela Rogers St. Johns and her favorite director Clarence Brown. The new documentary (a co-production with Turner Entertainment Co.) features a rousing musical score from the eminent film composer Carl Davis and premieres on Turner Classic Movies in September as part of a month-long tribute to the enigmatic beauty.

Old 05-12-05, 10:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Excellent indeed! I've only seen Ninotchka but will definately get this set, as I have been getting every other Warner set released this year.
Old 05-13-05, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Already own Grand Hotel. Guess I will have to sell it to make room for the box set.
Old 05-13-05, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
Already own Grand Hotel. Guess I will have to sell it to make room for the box set.
at least your out of a snapper
Old 05-13-05, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Cameron
at least your out of a snapper
I normally wouldn't sell the DVD to just replace the case, but Warner seems to like to include 1 or 2 movies that were previously released in many of their box sets. It's easier and more economical to get the box over purchasing all the DVD titles separately. So it makes sense to dump the one, otherwise I wouldn't bother. In my opinion it's a slick marketing trick to get you to double dip on something you weren't planning on.
Old 05-15-05, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't sell a dvd for a case either. this has happened to me a few times now with box sets and two packs. I normally trade in, or pass them to friends and family members.

I love these Warner sets....I also wonder if Warner will continue to put their silent series in keep cases after this.
Old 05-15-05, 03:53 AM

I'll probably buy all of them, with Queen Christina being my favorite.

Last edited by ScottsDvds; 05-15-05 at 04:14 AM.
Old 07-17-05, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-17-05, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I wanted Grand Hotel since it was released, but since it was in a snapper, I wouldn't buy it. Glad I waited.
Old 08-09-05, 01:21 AM

so will this be one of those big huge-ass wide boxes, like 9 dvd's wide right?
Old 08-09-05, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

yep...similar to the hitchcock box
Old 08-09-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts
Just Ninotchka for me, and maybe Queen Christina.

I'd get the Silents collection too, but I'm not sure if it's available on it's own, outside of the box-set.

edit: - the Silents set is available on it's own. Funny thing though - if I were to get just the 3 titles above, it'd only be $10 less than buying the whole set. But I'm still not going for the box as I have absolutely no interest in the other titles in the set - that and it's one hell of a chuncky, space-hog of a box.

Not to mention, I could just TIVO all of these (including the documentary exclusive to the box) off of TCM and save them to my DVR for free...

Last edited by slop101; 08-09-05 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-13-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
Just Ninotchka for me, and maybe Queen Christina.

I'd get the Silents collection too, but I'm not sure if it's available on it's own, outside of the box-set.

edit: - the Silents set is available on it's own. Funny thing though - if I were to get just the 3 titles above, it'd only be $10 less than buying the whole set. But I'm still not going for the box as I have absolutely no interest in the other titles in the set - that and it's one hell of a chuncky, space-hog of a box.

Not to mention, I could just TIVO all of these (including the documentary exclusive to the box) off of TCM and save them to my DVR for free...
why not buy the box, check the movies out as a blind buy and trade them in the trade forum...you could get more than ten bucks out of them i'm sure