Old 04-28-05, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
41.94 up for preorder at Amazon

Old 05-17-05, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

from the bits

August starts off in style on the 2nd with The Complete Thin Man Collection. The seven-disc set will include all six films in the series (The Thin Man, After the Thin Man, Another Thin Man, Shadow of the Thin Man, The Thin Man Goes Home, and Song of the Thin Man) and a special bonus disc featuring two documentaries profiling Nick and Nora Charles (William Powell and Loy), the debonair detective team of the 1930s and 1940s screwball romantic comedies. Also included among the bonus features will be the pilot for the 1957 Thin Man TV series starring Peter Lawford and Phyllis Kirk, as well as film shorts, radio dramas and vintage cartoons.
Old 06-19-05, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is such GREAT news!!!! I've been waiting so long for this one! It's my favorite series!!!

YIPEE!!!!
Old 06-19-05, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's still no individual covers and detailed disc info?
Old 06-21-05, 03:10 PM
Suspended

Here's the official presser:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

As Bubbly as the Finest Champagne...
The Complete Thin Man Collection

Complete Series of Screwball Romantic Comedy Mysteries, Starring William Powell and Myrna Loy as World’s Most Debonair Detective Team, Debuts August 2 from Warner Home Video

Plus Special Bonus Disc: Alias Nick & Nora Available Exclusively with the 7- Disc Set Featuring Two Insightful Documentaries, Unknown Powell and Myrna Loy: So Nice to Come Home to

All Titles Digitally Remastered with DVD Extra Content Including Classic Shorts, Radio Dramas and an Episode from the Hit TV Series with Peter Lawford and Phyllis Kirk

BURBANK, Calif., April 11, 2005 – Have a wonderful crime with Nick and Nora Charles (William Powell and Myrna Loy), the world’s most popular, glamorous and sophisticated detectives, when Warner Home Video (WHV) introduces The Complete Thin Man Collection on August 2 – star Myrna Loy’s 100th birthday.

Since WHV released The Thin Man on DVD in late 2002, fans have been clamoring for the rest of the films in this series that delighted movie audiences over the course of thirteen years. Featured in the collection, in addition to the original Thin Man, are the DVD debuts of the other five classic films: After the Thin Man, Another Thin Man, Shadow of the Thin Man, The Thin Man Goes Home and Song of the Thin Man. Available exclusively with the box will be a seventh bonus disc entitled Alias Nick & Nora, including two insightful documentaries, William Powell: A True Gentleman and Myrna Loy: So Nice to Come Home to. The DVDs are further enhanced with classic comedy, mystery and musical shorts, two radio dramas and a 1957 episode from the hit TV series based on the original characters with Peter Lawford and Phyllis Kirk taking on the roles of Nick and Nora Charles. The collection will be available in a seven-disc set for $59.92 SRP. The Thin Man will also be available individually for $19.97 SRP.

The sparkling series featured the irresistible Powell/Loy chemistry as husband and wife sleuths who solved murders with the aid of their wire-haired terrier, Asta. Set in the glamorous world of 1930s upper-class Manhattan, The Thin Man and its sequels established the standard for witty comedy, clever dialogue and urbane one upmanship. The first movie was adapted from Dashiell Hammett’s 1934 detective novel of the same name, allegedly modeled on the author’s relationship with longtime love, playwright Lillian Hellman. Shot on a very low budget in 14 days, the film went on to become a huge box-office smash, and earned four Academy Award® nominations including Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Director and Best Screenplay.

Leonard Maltin describes The Thin Man as “the sophisticated comedy-mystery par excellence,” a benchmark motion picture that still continues to be imitated today.

The Thin Man also became a popular radio show, followed by the Lawford-Kirk television version in the ‘50s. Among the “imitators” over the years are television husband/wife sleuthing couples in McMillan and Wife (Rock Hudson and Susan Saint James), Hart to Hart (Robert Wagner and Stefanie Powers) and Woody Allen's part-homage film Manhattan Murder Mystery (1993) which starred director Allen and Diane Keaton as the Liptons who were modeled after Nick and Nora Charles.

The Thin Man (1934)
The character of ‘the thin man’ actually makes an appearance only in this initial installment. Young Dorothy Wynant (Maureen O’Sullivan) enlists the help of amateur sleuth Nick Charles when her inventor father (called ‘the thin man’ when his lean physique is exaggerated as an elongated shadow in one scene) appears to be a major suspect in a murder case. Nick’s blue-blood wife Nora wants him on the case so that she can experience some of the excitement herself. However, working-class Nick is reluctant to get involved until he sees that police Lt. Guild is coming to the wrong conclusions.

DVD special features include:
· The Thin Man Trailer Gallery
· Languages: English and Francais
· Subtitles: English, Francais, Espanol and Portuguese

After the Thin Man (1936)
Having had their Christmas holidays in New York interrupted by a murder mystery, the couple is looking forward to a quiet New Year’s Eve at home. Unfortunately, they arrive home to find a house full of uninvited guests, there to welcome the couple back home. And there’s another mystery brewing: Nora’s cousin’s philandering husband has gone missing, and scandal threatens her stuffy, socialite family. Nick could care less. He has no use for his holier-than-thou in-laws. Nora is concerned - and more than a little thrilled at the prospect of another adventure.

· Robert Benchley Comedy Short How to Be a Detective
· Lux Radio Theater Show and Radio Promo with Powell and Loy
· Theatrical Trailer
· Subtitles: English, Francais and Espanol

Another Thin Man (1939)
This film introduces the Charles’ baby, Nick, Jr. Adapted from Dashiell Hammett’s “The Farewell Murder,” the mystery begins when the Charles family arrives for a weekend with a Long Island industrialist who fears someone wants to kill him; and, sure enough, his fears come true. Nick is among the suspects, Asta scrams with what may be the murder weapon and Nora sneaks off to a nightclub to ferret out a clue. The series’ usual trademark delightful elements are plentiful and William Powell and Myrna Loy shine in roles they were born to play.

· Musical Short Love on Tap
· Theatrical Trailer

Shadow of the Thin Man (1941)
Nick and Nora are at their wise-cracking best as they investigate murder and racketeering at a local race-track. Planning a day at the races, they arrive in time to investigate the murder of a jockey that leads to the killing of a shady newspaper reporter. Like all the “Thin Man” films, Shadow of the Thin Man offers a superior supporting cast including Barry Nelson, Sam Levene, a very young Donna Reed and a remarkable performance by noted stage actress and acting coach Stella Adler, seldom seen on screen.

· Vintage Short The Tell-Tale Heart
· Theatrical Trailer

The Thin Man Goes Home (1945)
Nick and Nora return to Nick’s home to spend time with his family. Dad isn’t proud of his son because Nick didn’t become a doctor like him. Nora thinks Nick solving a case will earn Dad’s respect so she says Nick’s there to solve a case. Will one appear? Will Nick solve it? There’s an extra dose of humor in this movie which includes supporting performances from Lucile Watson and Harry Davenport as the parents, Gloria DeHaven as a drama queen, Leon Ames as a mysterious art collector and Anne Revere as the town’s crazy woman.

· Robert Benchley Comedy Short Why Daddy?
· Theatrical Trailer

The Song of the Thin Man (1947)
Murder and all that jazz! In the sixth and final film, Nick and Nora sleuth a jazz-world slaying after boarding a gambling ship where a band leader has been murdered. Nick is drinking again after being forced to abstain from alcohol during his last case and the couple are accompanied by Nick, Jr. (played by then 11-year-old Dean Stockwell). Keenan Wynn, Jayne Meadows and Gloria Grahame are featured.

· Passing Parade Short A Really Important Person
· Theatrical Trailer

Alias Nick & Nora: The Thin Man Collection Bonus Disc DVD
Alias Nick & Nora features two insightful documentaries, William Powell: A True Gentleman and Myrna Loy: So Nice to Come Home to. True Gentleman reveals the personal charm and humor that made Powell such an attractive romantic lead, handling beautiful women, bullets and bon mots with equal aplomb. In Myrna Loy: So Nice to Come Home to critic/filmmaker Richard Schickel creates and Kathleen Turner narrates a glowing salute to the dazzling, chime-voiced Loy, tracing via clips and commentary her passage from screen exotic to delightful sleuth/socialite and reigning queen of Hollywood, with a special a nod to her admirable work on behalf of UNESCO.

· The Thin Man TV episode I Loathe You, Darling starring Peter Lawford and Phyllis Kirk
· The Thin Man Lux Radio Theater Show starring Powell and Loy

The Complete Thin Man Collection
$59.92 SRP
Street date: August 2

The Thin Man (available as single title as well as in the collection)
$19.97 SRP

All films are standard version and presented in a format preserving the aspect ratio of their original exhibitions.
Old 06-21-05, 04:27 PM

For those of you who belong to Columbia House' CH.com (formerly DV2.com) this set is up for pre-order for $35.95 and there are no shipping charges! They have some great prices on other Warner sets as well (Gangsters, Noir sets 1 and 2 etc.) Definately worth a look.

Last edited by master69; 06-22-05 at 08:52 AM. Reason: bad grammar
Old 06-24-05, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

thanks for the monster press release...can't wait for these
Old 07-19-05, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

anyone found full scans of the other covers?
Old 07-28-05, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

looky Looky at who has the top spot on amazon this week

beating out preorders of sin city, simpsons season 6, muppet show, and the high and the mighty
Old 07-31-05, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

so who is doing the review for this one?
Old 07-31-05, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Sold my Complete Thin Man Laserdisc set on ebay this weekend for $40. This is a set I've looked forward to on DVD for some time. I'm not sure if I want to order it from Amazon or check the Sam's club prices. They have had some pretty good prices on Warner box sets.
Old 07-31-05, 03:01 PM

I imagine Sams and Costco will have sweet prices on this set. That is where I am going for mine. FYI, Probably only 8+ boxsets PER CLUB STORE, I would guess.
Old 08-02-05, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

HTF has a review up with screenshots.

Also a link to Savant's review of the original thin man dvd
Old 08-03-05, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

These are the two most complete reviews that I've seen:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDRev...collection.htm
http://www.dvdtown.com/review/comple...7-/15888/3027/
Old 08-03-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

FWIW, I got BestBuy B&M to price match BestBuy.com, paid $44.99 instead of $59.99.
The set looks great!
Old 08-03-05, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Got this today for $37.23 at Sam's Club. Can't wait to watch all of these films yet again, but this time on DVD. I'll probably start with the bonus disc since I haven't seen those documentaries on TCM before.
Old 08-03-05, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Careful on this one...I stopped by Best Buy today to pick up my copy of the box set. Was standing in line waiting to check out when I noticed that there were two copies of "Another Thin Man" in the box - "After The Thin Man" was missing. Went back and the other copy they had on the shelf was fine.

Might have just been a freak packing accident on that one copy - but you might want to double check anyway before leaving the store.
Old 08-06-05, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
anyone found full scans of the other covers?
No, but I'd like to add these titles/covers into DVDAF's database.
Old 08-12-05, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

thanks to MarcoBiscotti at the HTF for informing on this tidbit about the extras

I just want to point out that one of the extras in this set is presented in truncated edited form...

The bonus 1941 MGM cartoon, "The Goose Goes South", which runs only 6:14 long in this box set is a heavily edited version from the original 7:44 run time.

Here's an example from one of the missing sequences:

I'm hoping that this was simply an oversight since this short has been circulated as such for years and WB just sourced a wrong print without doing their homework, but I hope that they take more care in future and that this was not done intentionally. In fact, it would be nice to get confirmation that this was simply an oversight, (even though it's not the end of the world as it was simply included as an unrestored bonus), just so that we can feel more secure that this will not become a common practice as we have seen in WB's animation department as of late. I also hope that this cartoon in all its original glory, turns up on a proper collection of MGM cartoons in the near future.
Old 08-13-05, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Warner may have not even known, but if there is some question on the content of the cartoon they should just pick a different cartoon as the bonus. I still find it funny that I watched all these so called "racist" cartoons uncut through most of the 70's and 80's including seeing Song of the South in a theater and now every studio is trying to edit these things and hide them away like they never exhisted.
Old 08-13-05, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i am going to assume this was a screw up with the masters (like the tom & jerry Incident) Warner has been somewhat bold in bringing these older cartoons out. I hope they never skip over a cartoon because they are worried about backlash. I just wish they would keep a curator (like maltin is for disney) to oversee the cartoons...but even maltin wasn't perfect as one of the mickey cartoons snuck in an edit.