Reload this Page >

Jules Dassin's Naked City

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 03-25-05, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone heard anything about a re-issue for this? I just got into his film noirs with the new releases of Night and the City and Thieves' Highway, and am now very eager to see this, but don't feel like spending $50-$80!
Old 03-25-05, 11:31 AM

I'd love to have a rerelease of this as well. It was one that was on my "to buy" list but I unfortunately didn't realize it was out of print until it was too late. Is this in the public domain or does a studio hold the rights to it?
Old 03-25-05, 12:24 PM
Cool New Member

Hey, dude, you should add a question mark after "Naked City"- otherwise people get all hot and bothered (ie. excited) that you have some relevant info to report on the release of this title- as opposed to another "when is this coming out?" thread...
Old 03-25-05, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by rossbrew
Hey, dude, you should add a question mark after "Naked City"- otherwise people get all hot and bothered (ie. excited) that you have some relevant info to report on the release of this title- as opposed to another "when is this coming out?" thread...
I don't think a question mark is really all that necessary here. I guess maybe it could be if he had titled it "Naked City Rerelease" but this could just as easily be a thread about the current edition of it. I doubt anyone is really going to get too upset about this.
Old 03-25-05, 08:02 PM
Cool New Member

Hey, King...you should see the things that get me upset..especially if it's on the insignificant side...gotta get meself a life soon....help me...
Old 03-25-05, 10:51 PM

Great movie, I saw it for the first time last summer and really enjoyed it, why doesn't Universal jump on the noir bandwagon a la Fox and Warner and bring this classic back?
Old 03-25-05, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Universal DOES have a noir line, with only The Big Clock, Black Angel, Criss-Cross and This Gun for Hire. Are you sure Universal owns this? If so, they really should put this on their noir line along with a re-issue of Double Indemnity.
Old 03-25-05, 11:19 PM

According to IMDB Universal is.

And while I do own Double Indemnity, it is in bad need of an upgrade.
Old 03-26-05, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had no idea this was OOP.

*runs to hug dvd*

Still waiting for my copy of Night and the City to arrive.
Old 03-26-05, 09:09 AM

Yeah, I really wish Universal would put out a second set of noir series discs, but we'll see if it really happens. I get the feeling that since they handled the first wave so poorly (no extras at all, so-so transfers, not grouping them together in a box, etc) they probably didn't sell as well as they might have otherwise, and that may hurt the potential for future releases. Regardless, they need to get DI out asap, but there are others (like this) that I wish they'd release already. I'd be first in line.