Reload this Page >

Has Fox abandoned the Digipack?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Has Fox abandoned the Digipack?

Old 03-21-05, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JCFantasy23
I have mixed views. I too have all the Shield sets, and was dissapointed with the third. The first two are gorgeous with their coloring, artwork, and the way the layout is. It allows for more creativity if they play their cards right. Season 3 also didn't get a booklet like the first two did. The booklet was a great little extra.
I'm with you. I don't mind the change to slimpak cases so much as I'm annoyed with the step down in outer packaging. The 3rd season sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the first two seasons! I want the nice foil covers back.
Old 03-21-05, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
I'm with you. I don't mind the change to slimpak cases so much as I'm annoyed with the step down in outer packaging. The 3rd season sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the first two seasons! I want the nice foil covers back.
Yes!!! This is my biggest complaint as well. The outer packaging just looks so dull compared to the prior seasons. The foil covers really look great. Imagine how great the red highlights on the current set could look...

On a side note, I don't mind the slim-cases. In fact, I think they are great with certain sets, e.g. Futurama. However, the main advantage of the slim-cases, I always thought, was supposed to be that they take up less shelf space, but the overall packaging on The Shield season 3 is actually larger than the prior seasons.
Old 03-21-05, 03:04 PM

I always hated the digipaks, especially when it came to sets like 24 S2 and its 7 discs. It's like you need a degree in origami just to get to the damn booklet. But...the digipak packaging allowed for all sorts of cool artwork (I love the Illyria/Fred foldout in the Angel S5 set) that you can't get with the slim cases. Overall, I'm still happier with the slim cases, but I like the book format (Alias S3, the Freaks and Geeks retail edition) the best.
Old 03-21-05, 04:24 PM
Banned

I think "The O.C." did the book format as well. I would have no problem is 24 decided to switch to that...but no slim cases please!
Old 03-21-05, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm happy we got the Angel & Buffy sets completed before the switchover. I like the continuity myself.
Old 03-22-05, 07:53 AM

I like the way Anchor Bay does the slim cases. They put 2 discs in each. Saves a lot of space.
Old 03-22-05, 09:51 AM

Fox did that with Wonderfalls. I think that's a good way to go for hour-long shows, but not something like Arrested Development (there'd be no room on the back of the case for all the episode descriptions).