Reload this Page >

dvd collecting horror stories?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-25-05, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was reading someone's post about trying to copy dvds so they can keep a good master copy. obviously this is uncool, but it got me thinking.

ever have any problems where you wished you'd had master copy's somewhere?

like, did you accidentally scratch your copy of Salo? friend borrow The Killer and now you can't get it back? (cc of course)

worst for me is i'm out 5 dvds cause a friend hasnt given them back.
Old 02-25-05, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A) no one would EVER loan a friend their copy of The Killer CC DVD
B) If you have a Salo CC, trust me, you will make sure that there are no accidental scratches going on....
Old 02-25-05, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by pdinosaur
i was reading someone's post about trying to copy dvds so they can keep a good master copy. obviously this is uncool, but it got me thinking.
I'm not following, whats so uncool about that? As long as its for your personal use (ie not going to sell it to someone else yourself, or even just give it away) there shouldnt be any reason you couldnt make a copy.....
Old 02-25-05, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by SRotblat
I'm not following, whats so uncool about that? As long as its for your personal use (ie not going to sell it to someone else yourself, or even just give it away) there shouldnt be any reason you couldnt make a copy.....
I'm pretty sure this has been discussed many times, but decrypting any disc to make a copy, even if it is for personal use, is illegal (as far as I know)
Old 02-25-05, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Illegal" is different from "uncool." Rolling through a stop sign is illegal, but I doubt a passenger would confront the driver with a "dude, that was so uncool of you."

On topic: no huge losses, though I'm out one disc that I lent somebody who I've lost touch with. It's a cheapie release, though (What Lies Beneath), nothing I'll be missing too much.

-JP

Last edited by NatrlBornThrllr; 02-25-05 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-25-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I must be really uncool...I have never heard of Salo
Old 02-25-05, 10:32 AM

'back in the day' my wife and i were living in the basement of her parents until we could save up some money. her sister was dating this guy i knew then who was a little shady and when we were gone they used to sneak down to our make-shift apt. in the bm to 'be alone'. i was just getting into dvds and only had a handful then but i didnt notice for awhile that a few were missing. i finally thought of him being down there which was bad enough and confronted him and he lied and said he didnt have them but his brother said he did. sure enough he had stolen them and when i got my hand back on them they were scratched to hell and looked like he ran over them with a mac truck. it really ticked me off. the dvds were gladiator and a music video collection of tooth and nail bands.
Old 02-25-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've also had a 'friend' borrow two DVD's and never return them. Obviously, we don't speak anymore. Those DVD's were far more important than the friendship.
Old 02-25-05, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
Closest thing to a horror story I have is when I was making the transition to DVDs from laserdiscs. At the time I was with my psycho g/f. Things didn't end well and I only got 3 DVDs out of the 77 back. It wasn't as bad as it sounds since I really only liked half of them. But it was worth it
Old 02-25-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I collect a lot of horror dvds, its best to go to Best Buy or Circuit City to start collecting as Wal-Mart doesn't get much good HORROR stuff.....

Old 02-25-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Realizing how much money I have spent.
Old 02-25-05, 07:53 PM
Suspended

last nov. my nephew knocked over my dvd rack, and everything fell.. luckly nothing broke but my brother made him pick up all the dvds and he had like 20 dvds in his hands and he dropped them and some of my dvds broke.... i was so pissed..
Old 02-25-05, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I never did reach 2,000 titles by the new year. I failed in my goal of reaching that number(based on my "needs" list...not just buying dvds for ego reasons) and it's been nothing but a fucking nightmare since. I will not rest until 2k is obtained.

Then only about 400 more to go.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 02-25-05 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-25-05, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by gutwrencher
I never did reach 2,000 titles by the new year. I failed in my goal of reaching that number(based on my "needs" list...not just buying dvds for ego reasons) and it's been nothing but a fucking nightmare since. I will not rest until 2k is obtained.

Then only about 400 more to go.
Looks like you'll need to start buying things for ego reasons.
Old 02-25-05, 10:27 PM

Way back in 1999 I was looking everywhere for The Killer: Criterion. While in Syracuse I stopped in a Media Play. I went over to the action section and almost cried when I say a little plastic divider that said "The Killer: CC", and there was a dvd in there! It had no white sticker on top of it. My hopes were crushed when I pulled it out of the spot and it was Killing Zoe. My heart literally broke in two.
Old 02-25-05, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

this actually just happened to me today.
I let my fiance borrow a few movies so she could watch them at her parents house. Well her brother apparently is a damn klepto and he stole my copy of My so called life: complete series. Odds are he stole it and sold it for like 20 bucks so he could buy some drugs and ciggs. Definately gonna be an ass whooping coming up if he doesn't get it back.
Old 02-25-05, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts
My scariest DVD collecting horror story was when I bought "Gigli"...and then WATCHED IT!!!
Old 02-26-05, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Making copies of your movies due to loaning them out seems pretty silly to me. Just quit loaning them out, then you won't need to worry about making a copy.
Old 02-26-05, 01:41 AM

when I used to like fullscreen....thankfully I dont have that many titles in full screen. Im replacing them slowly. paying way too many canadian dollars for dvds before discovering a canadian run dvd discount store online. www.dvdsoon.com
Old 02-26-05, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by Kerborus
I've also had a 'friend' borrow two DVD's and never return them. Obviously, we don't speak anymore. Those DVD's were far more important than the friendship.
Ahhh...but if that were true you would never had let him borrow them to begin with. Got you there!