Reload this Page >

HELP, moving disaster

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

HELP, moving disaster

Old 06-17-05, 01:30 AM
Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP, moving disaster

I just moved to a new house this month, I was allowed by the builder who is a good friend to move items into the house early. I decided to have a theater in my basement so naturally i put all my DVDs in the basement. A few days after I did this, we had a big rain and the window sealant did not hold. All of my DVDs are fine, however certain collector boxes are now ruined. I was wondering if anyone was willing to sell or knew where I could get replacement boxes. I have already tried contacting the companies and they are unable to help. Here are a list of the collector boxes that are now ruined. Please help if you can.

Buffy Seasons 1-7
Angle Season 1-5
South park Seasons 1-5
GI Joe Season 1 Part 2 DVD
GI Joe Season 2 Part 1 DVD
and all the transformer series.

Some are more damaged than others, the Buffy's, Angels and South parks are are completely ruined. The GI Joe and Transformers have water rings on them. There are more, but these are the ones I really care about

Thank you.

Z
Old 06-17-05, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would suggest filing an insurance claim, either with your homeowner's insurance or the builder's insurance. If it's a new house and the builder installed leaky windows, he should be held liable. He likely carries insurance for this tuype of thing.
Old 06-17-05, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
^ What Salty said ^
Old 06-17-05, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ditto that as well. The people working on this house should be held responsible, and you should go through the proper motions to get re-imbursed financially to obtain new flawless copies. I mean, seriously... the sealant should have held. It didn't. Something obviously wasn't done right or was faulty and they should be held accountable.
Old 06-17-05, 04:45 PM

I would contact Fox again for the Buffy and Angel sets. I had a damaged box when I got Buffy Season 5 and they replaced it with minimal effort on my part. They may charge in this particular situation but it's worth an e-mail. Here's the address I wrote to and the webpage
[email protected]
http://www.foxhome.com/replacement/
Old 06-18-05, 07:40 AM

Yeah, somebody's got to be held responsible for that. Dude, what a drag. You can't build a home cinema in a basement like that! Anyway, I'd be surprised if any of the publishers would give only packaging; maybe if you pay for it, but I just can't see it.
Old 06-18-05, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Getting it out of the builder will be tough. They should not have been there until the builder had final inspection and left anyways. Your homeowners will cover it, just show them the damage and they will buy you new ones. You can try to get the builder to cover it, but the way insurance and builders get along, you may stress that friendship a bit much. I bet he would just write a check for that small amount rather than process a claim. I would say he is fixing the faulty window on his own dime already.
Old 06-18-05, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts
Like speedyray said, since he's a good friend, you should talk to him. You'd probably get your DVDs faster.

If you have to go the insurance route, I'd claim all the damaged DVDs and not just the ones you care about.
Old 06-18-05, 09:58 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I would worry about your house and not your dvd packaging.