DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

So, are these Criterions real or fake?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-04, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, are these Criterions real or fake?

http://stores.ebay.com/All-Things-Cr...isplayZ2QQtZkm

I ask because when I saw the seller has sold Hard Boiled more than once (using the same exact picture) and for some reason having the sticker on it noting it was a special edition. Just curious. Thanks.
Old 12-31-04, 07:31 AM
Defunct Account

I don't think he gives you enough info to tell. Looking at his Hard Boiled auction, he doesn't state that the picture is what you are getting, nor does he give much other information. He does state that all sales are final, which sets off bells. On the other hand, he does have 620 100% + feedback, which doesn't mean a whole lot, but is a good sign. I'd e-mail the guy and ask him some questions about it.
Old 12-31-04, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
That "Special Edition" sticker looks photoshopped.

Has the price on this really gone down? I see many selling in the $20-$30 range, yet I see some The Killer/Hard Boiled auctions going for over $200.
Old 12-31-04, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bill Geiger
I ask because when I saw the seller has sold Hard Boiled more than once (using the same exact picture) and for some reason having the sticker on it noting it was a special edition. Just curious. Thanks.
I've never used him, so I can't personally vouch for the authenticity. But I will say that many old Criterions had the "special edition" sticker (as opposed to the "director's signature"), and that it's commonplace for somebody to use the same picture more than once when selling a disc. The guy has a 100% perfect feedback and seems, from the name ("All Things Criterion"), to be a dealer who specializes in Criterion. I, personally, would trust him.
Old 12-31-04, 10:54 AM

The price of Hard Boiled has dropped because a new, high-quality bootleg has completely flooded the market. That's also the reason why there weren't ever more than one or two Hard Boileds on eBay a few months ago, now you can do a search and find many, many more than that. Most buyers are no longer willing to bid on an eBay Hard Boiled because it's next to impossible to tell whether its real or not.

The special edition sticker is not a big deal, as it can be found on many criterions that are still available for sale, removed, and stuck onto a bootleg.

But, then again, the seller does seem to have only good feedback. But, I'd be cautious.
Old 12-31-04, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't know, if it looks to good to be true...it probably is. I'd err on the side of caution and do a bit more investigating before plunking down anything for these discs.
Old 12-31-04, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
That "Special Edition" sticker looks photoshopped.
I think that's because the plastic wrap is reflecting a lot of light, and the sticker is on the outside of the plastic and not reflecting.

But I say that because I think people in this forum are overly suspicious of E-bay; it definitely looks weird the way it is.

Do the bootlegs have that annoying sticker across the top of the disc? 'Cause that one in the picture does (not that it means anything, if the disc isn't the one pictured). But I wouldn't think a bootlegger would do that.
Old 12-31-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't trust e-bay for that. You can do a search and see how many bad experiences people has had with e-bay.
Old 12-31-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by roger_d
Don't trust e-bay for that. You can do a search and see how many bad experiences people has had with e-bay.
The flip side is that, because there are so many people like you who blanketly refuse to trust E-bay at all, it's significantly cheaper than any other place you can get 'Hard Boiled' (and they are no more guaranteed than E-bay would be). It's silly, in my mind, to say people have had bad experiences with E-bay, because E-bay isn't a seller. You have bad experiences with bad sellers on E-bay, sure, but a guy with a 100% feedback rating doesn't really qualify as a bad seller. The guy has gotten positive feedback for 1300 sales.

That said, I'm not gonna try to convince you that E-bay is great. I'd rather continue to be able to get deals like the Criterion 'Spinal Tap' for $50, or 'Dead Ringers' for under $30, and whatnot. I've been buying DVDs on E-bay for four years and haven't (unknowingly) bought a bootleg yet. [I did decide to buy a bootleg 'Rabid Dogs' because I wanted to see it, and have bought a few discs which bootlegged unavailable stuff, but those were deliberate.]
Old 12-31-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All items are as pictured and described in our listings . . . .if you require additional information, please feel free to contact us via email. Thank you for your interest.
seller states...
Old 12-31-04, 02:33 PM

The 400 Blows (on that page) looks like the old criterion version.
Old 12-31-04, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

People like me huh ok. Hey well go ahead and send in your money. It's your money. Go for it. I'm not stopping you. Someone is asking everyone's opinion. This happens to be mine, i don't have anyting against anyone here. I just don't like being put in the catagory of "People like you".
Old 12-31-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never been burned on eBay, and I've bought CC LDs and plenty of OOP DVDs. I got my Hard Boiled on eBay right as the influx of bootlegs began, and it was legit (although I resold it =\). My advice would be to pay through Paypal and if it's not legit, then dispute your payment. I've only had to do it once (when Wild Strawberris got "lost in the mail" twice) but it got me my money back within a day.
Old 12-31-04, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,193 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by drjay
I've never been burned on eBay, and I've bought CC LDs and plenty of OOP DVDs.

One good thing about LDs: non-legit ones are quite rare to come across (not impossible but extremely unlikely).
Old 12-31-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I cannot vouch for all of his goods, but I CAN tell you that he does spend time researching and buying some AUTHENTIC Criterion DVD's.

Over the past year, I have been selling a number of my personal DVD's, including some Criterions (mostly extra copies).

This seller did bid on a number of my Criterion auctions, and did win one for Silence of the Lambs.
Old 12-31-04, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree with drjay.

Go through paypal. His 100% feedback rating is enough to justify to paypal -- in the event that it's a bootleg -- to suggest that it wasn't an illegal copy. They should be able to give you your money back, since every purchase is insured up to a $1,000 with them.
Old 01-01-05, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by roger_d
People like me huh ok. Hey well go ahead and send in your money. It's your money. Go for it. I'm not stopping you. Someone is asking everyone's opinion. This happens to be mine, i don't have anyting against anyone here. I just don't like being put in the catagory of "People like you".
Fair enough, I apologize for any unintentional offense. I just meant "people like you" as in "people who don't trust E-bay", sorry if I misused it. There are definitely a *lot* of people who, blanketly, don't trust E-bay. In my view, it's just laziness, not wanting to learn how to figure out who to trust or not, which really isn't all that hard to do. But I didn't mean anything by it.
Old 01-01-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"I got my Hard Boiled on eBay right as the influx of bootlegs began, and it was legit (although I resold it =\)"

drjay-
How do you tell with any degree of certainty that your copy of Hard Boiled CC is legit. I just got one off half.com and I can tell if it is real or an extremely good bootleg.