do people think you have too many DVDs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-04, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No! I need more DVDs.
Old 01-01-05, 11:55 AM

Within our family, no we don't think we have too many DVDs We have a bit over 350 now..

My husband and I are both movie buffs and both enjoy our DVDs. Although we like many DVDs together, we also have our own individual taste. He likes old silents, Japanese film and 'bad' movies...I bought him the Ed Wood box set for Christmas under the condition, I not be forced to watch any of it . I myself love mainline Chinese and Iranian films and he never watches any of my fitness DVDs. He likes Jackie Chan, our teenage daughter and myself prefer Chow Yun Fat . Sometimes we learn to like a style of film from the other (I like Miyazaki's anime now).

Our teenage daughter also also some of her own DVDs...my husband bought me additional copies of LOTR EEs as our daughter is taking her copies to away to university next fall.

Extended family and others think we are bit strange that we like film so much...I thought it was odd that my elderly parents told me they only want to borrow 'light, entertaining' movies, nothing too sad or provocative. As well, my mother-in-law still only has a VHS and we're trying to convince her to go to DVD as it's becoming impossible to find anything in that format. My best friend also likes films but her taste is more limited than mine; she has only a 19" screen TV and her husband insists on buying pan and scan I told her to go look at new LCD TVs and how they are all widescreen and to reconsider. Meanwhile my daughter & I are drooling over the new plasma TVs .
Old 01-01-05, 12:40 PM

My family doesn't buy me DVDs, but not because they think I have too many. By and large, it's that they don't know what I have, and my will power isn't strong enough to stave off buying whatever I put on my Christmas list (usually).

That said, no one around me (family and friends, namely) thinks I have too many DVDs, because they're constantly asking to borrow them. As long as I'm a free rental service, no way I have too many DVDs. I'm going to put a stop to that, though; maybe it will be a good new year's resolution!
Old 01-01-05, 02:12 PM

I've had a few people say that I have too many DVDs. Usually they say they can't understand wanting to watch a movie more than once or that they already watched that TV show before, so why buy it? Some on other non-DVD forums say "You know, you can rent those on Netflix and you never have to worry about storing them or buying them!"