Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Howard's End - Criterion - 2/15/05?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-04, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Howard's End - Criterion - 2/15/05?

Morn' everyone!

DVD Empire has Howard's End - Criterion up for pre-order with a 2/15/04 release date. But I can't find a confirmation anywhere, not even on Criterion's own website.

Anyone have any information? Is this bogus? I have been waiting for this movie to come out on Criterion and I'm pretty excited, if it really is coming.

Thanks!
Old 12-09-04, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never heard of it. Then again, I've never heard of most Criterion releases.
Old 12-09-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It is being distributed by Home Vision Entertainment (HVE) as part of the Merchant Ivory collection and isn't a Criterion disc per se. HVE and Criterion are related but are separate product lines.
Old 12-09-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is this "Fartman"? Funny, I don't recall Stern talking about this on the air lately...
Old 12-09-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
They should include a Howard's End lunchbox from Waiting for Guffman.
Old 12-09-04, 12:04 PM

Criterion - but not Criterion

Merchant-Ivory have their own vanity DVD label, which is administered by Criterion. So it will be Criterion quality, but won't carry the Criterion brand name or a spine number.
Old 12-09-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by majorjoe23
They should include a Howard's End lunchbox from Waiting for Guffman.
It was a Remains of the Day lunchbox, IIRC.

Speaking of... I wish Remains of the Day wasn't tied up with Columbia TriStar. I'm not terribly fond of their DVD edition. It could use a Criterion-quality remaster.
Old 12-09-04, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Is this "Fartman"? Funny, I don't recall Stern talking about this on the air lately...
Nope, not "Fartman", I am actually one of the few "chicks" on this board. I just don't post that often. I usually just lurk.
Old 12-09-04, 12:29 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Originally Posted by DeeKay
Nope, not "Fartman", I am actually one of the few "chicks" on this board. I just don't post that often. I usually just lurk.
He wasn't taking a shot at you. He was making a bad joke about the title, Howard's End. Howard Stern has a lame character called Fartman, whose powers would come from Howard's end. Uhhhh...yeah.
Old 12-09-04, 12:30 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by chente
It is being distributed by Home Vision Entertainment (HVE) as part of the Merchant Ivory collection and isn't a Criterion disc per se. HVE and Criterion are related but are separate product lines.
this doesn't surprise me since HVE released a remarkable special edition of "Maurice"
Old 12-09-04, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by jamieoni
He wasn't taking a shot at you. He was making a bad joke about the title, Howard's End. Howard Stern has a lame character called Fartman, whose powers would come from Howard's end. Uhhhh...yeah.
OK, got it! I don't listen/watch much Howard Stern, obviously!
Old 12-09-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jamieoni
?!??!?! I don't even remotely know what I wrote that even could've been considered taking a shot at anyone!

Thanks for sticking up for me.
Old 12-09-04, 12:44 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

It's no big deal. I think you more baffled than offended, since the reference was missed. It's all good.
Old 12-09-04, 10:03 PM

Some info on this release from DVDbliss.com:

Howards End (Special Edition Double-Disc Set)
Street Date: 2/15/2005
Suggested retail: $29.95
Runtime: 142 min
2.35:1 aspect ratio
In English
Merchant Ivory

Margaret and Helen Schlegel (Oscar® winner Emma Thompson and Helena Bonham Carter) are sisters from a well-educated European family: intelligent, free-spirited, cultured, and highly emancipated by the standards of the time. A series of events brings them into a relationship with the Wilcox family: healthy, conservative, conventional, and very English, headed by the prosperous Henry (Anthony Hopkins) and his priggish son, Charles (James Wilby). Both families also come into contact with Leonard Bast (Samuel West) and his wife, a couple near the lowest tier of the rigid class system. Leonard’s desire for cultural and intellectual status attracts the attention of Helen, who must come to terms with her unexpected feelings toward him. At the same time, Margaret must reconcile her independent spirit with her desire for companionship and a comfortable place in Edwardian society; her moral strength is eventually able to resolve the tangle of opposites. First published in 1910, E.M. Forster’s Howards End remains one of the most important English novels of the twentieth century, and Merchant Ivory Productions’ tour-de-force adaptation was one of the most critically acclaimed films of the 1990s.

Special Features
- Stunning new high-definition digital transfer, enhanced for widescreen televisions
- New Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack
- Building Howards End, a new documentary featurette including interviews with James Ivory, Ismail Merchant, Helena Bonham Carter, costume designer Jenny Beavan, and Academy Award®–winning production designer Luciana Arrighi
- The Design of Howards End, an in-depth look at the costume and production designs for the film, including Arrighi’s original design sketches
- The Wandering Company, a 1984 documentary about the history of Merchant Ivory Productions, narrated by Robert Powell and featuring interviews with Merchant, Ivory, Ruth Prawer Jhabvala, Jennifer and Felicity Kendal, Shashi Kapoor, and other longtime Merchant Ivory collaborators
- Original 1992 behind-the-scenes featurette
- English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
Old 12-09-04, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Emma Thompson and Helena Bonham Carter in one movie. Kenneth Branagh must watch this film when he's lonely. Heh.

Pleased to see Howard's End getting a spiffy release. It was one of the first films I heard of that wasn't "ooh, that's playing at the cinema down the road".
Old 12-10-04, 01:01 AM

Can someone explain the Merchant Ivory thing to me? What's the criteria for it?
Old 12-10-04, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Daniel L
Can someone explain the Merchant Ivory thing to me? What's the criteria for it?
Merchant-Ivory is the production company of Ismail Merchant and James Ivory. Merchant usually produces and Ivory usually directs.
Old 12-10-04, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
... and Ruth Prawer Jhabvala usually writes, though "Merchant Ivory Jhabvala" would be a bit of a mouthful.