Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

How to spot a Dead Ringers Criterion Collection bootleg?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-04, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently found out that the first pressing copies of Dead Ringers: Criterion Collection have some sync problems that were corrected on the second pressing copies. Since my copy is a first pressing, I decided to buy a second pressing copy to replace my old one. I bought one used from a highly rated seller at Amazon. I received it today and when comparing it to my original I noticed a few slight differences:

1. The cover on my original has squared corners, the new one has rounded ones.

2. The new cover is a little lighter in coloration than my original (paper stock appears to be exactly the same though, and is obviously professionally printed).

3. The insert on my old copy has a green background on the inside pages, whereas the new one has black.

4. The inner ring on my old copy (topside) is smaller and has only one very small serial number (IFPI 2425), whereas the new one is larger and has two long serial numbers with two barcode looking patterns beneath them.

5. The image of the siamese twins on the disc is much brighter and sharper on my original disc.

and the most suspicious:

6. The chapter insert on my original has superimposed images on the black areas on the front and back pages - the new one is just plain black.

Did I receive a bootleg? If so, I have to say this is incredibly well done. Can someone who owns a legitimate copy of the second pressing please let me know for sure?
Old 12-07-04, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Oh goddamn, I thought this was a Letterman top 10 or something.
Old 12-07-04, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You have to be CAREFUL on ebay, I had to pick & choose to get one that wasn't a bootleg... one guy had new copies pposted up every day! The main thing that helped me was to see if that eBay user ID had posted any other auctions for the same title... I found one guy was posting a new title every day!

P.S. I imagine this thread will be closed soon; I got one closed on me yesterday for the same reason (bootleg avoidance/discussion)

Last edited by ShagMan; 12-07-04 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-07-04, 09:52 AM
Cool New Member

I have both printers here and they have have the same differences you describe. I know my first printing copy is legit, and I'm 99% my second printing copy is as well. I bought it used two years ago and I don't think there were any bootlegs (of this title) around at that time.
Old 12-07-04, 10:54 AM

So you're saying that this second pressing copy I just bought is for sure legit? Did Criterion make these changes I mentioned when they changed to the second pressing? Can anyone give me a positive affirmation of this (someone who bought a second pressing copy brand new from a retail store or established online store perhaps)?
Old 12-07-04, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by ShagMan
You have to be CAREFUL on ebay, I had to pick & choose to get one that wasn't a bootleg... one guy had new copies pposted up every day! The main thing that helped me was to see if that eBay user ID had posted any other auctions for the same title... I found one guy was posting a new title every day!
The seller had a 100% positive feedback and none of their other sales were for Dead Ringers or any other OOP DVD's for that matter.

Originally Posted by ShagMan
P.S. I imagine this thread will be closed soon; I got one closed on me yesterday for the same reason (bootleg avoidance/discussion)
Why would the admins want to close a thread like this? It's a legitimate question and a valid topic of discussion. I would think this info might be helpful for others out there who are contemplating buy this title, or who might be worried that theirs is a clever bootleg.
Old 12-07-04, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

no idea here... the mod over in international forum said it was part of the rules. The thread (still on 1st page in that forums) is titled "how to avoid bootlegs on eBay?"
Old 12-07-04, 03:06 PM

While I don't have a copy of the first pressing for the comparison, I do have a legit copy of the second printing (bought new @ Borders before it was OOP).
All of the things you describe of your second printing from e-bay ring true for my copy. Specifically, rounded corners on cover, black background on insert with no superimposed images, 2 concentric serial numbers/bar codes on inner ring.
If I were to speculate, it sounds legitimate.

Cheers,
-Andrew
Old 12-07-04, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes... it is a DEAD RINGER for a real copy.

Originally Posted by Alf
HA!
Old 12-07-04, 03:40 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Discussing how to avoid buying bootlegs is OK, I suspect that posting information on where to get bootlegs is verboten.
Old 12-07-04, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
From Criterion's website:

How can I identify a bootleg Criterion DVD?

There's no sure-fire way to identify a bootleg Criterion disc. DVD bootleggers are extremely crafty and resourceful and they are not to be underestimated. A good thing to do is to make sure that the DVD's ISBN number, UPC code, and catalog number match those that appear on our website. In addition, look for our copyright and confirm that the audio, video, and features specs match up. Although this cannot definitively determine a disc’s authenticity, you can feel safer if this information is consistent.

Oftentimes, bootlegs will be advertised as official Asian Criterion DVDs. This is not to be trusted! Criterion has never released alternate Asian editions of any of our DVDs and we have no plans to do so.

You can go to their website for information. If you still have questions go to the Support and Feedback section and fire an email to Jon Mulvaney. He's pretty helpful.
Old 12-07-04, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

good post there TomOpus!
Old 12-07-04, 11:12 PM

Terrific. I guess that settles it; it sounds like I got a legit copy. Thanks for all the replies.