Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

How many people swore to cut-down on their dvd-spending, but are still buying?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

How many people swore to cut-down on their dvd-spending, but are still buying?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-04, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I say Bravo to these people that are blowing thousands a year on DVD.

Its people like you that the Studios are counting on to fund their next big projects. And so the cycle repeats itself.

You can understand why the studios are mortified of the entire P2P concept - it hasnt hurt the movie industry like it did the music industy, but... what happens when the next generation of badass-superfast internet lines appear, or fiberoptic internet, and rediculous-huge harddrives cost next to nothing?

But, anyways, i dont think they will ever switch to a pay-on-demand type market, or a download type market, ... people, myself included, really do love to collect the actual product, display it, arrange it, and what have you-
Old 12-07-04, 09:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
DVD addiction is .....

....Buying a DVD because the cover art looks good

....Buying a DVD because the packaging is cool

....Buying a DVD again because it has 5 mins of extended footage added.

....Buying a DVD again because there is a second disc included, which I may watch before I die.

....Buying a DVD because I loved the movie first time I watched it whenI was 8 years old.

....Buying a DVD online and renting it from Netflix just to see which one comes first.

....Buying a DVD yet again because this time its the Extreamly Super Dooper Utlimate edition.

....Buying a DVD because yet again because this time there are 3 discs included.

....Buying a DVD because there is a coupon that I just have to use.

....Buying a DVD because DDD may never have another 20% off sale.

....Buying a DVD because I'll get free shipping.

....Buying a DVD because it says Criterion and its got a number.

....Buying a DVD because its only $5.50 and it was hard to find in the bin.

....Buying a DVD because everybody else on DVDTalk is buying it.
Old 12-07-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Mr. J

... it is sad that this is true though
Old 12-07-04, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ginwen
I don't really care about the money spent as much as keeping up--if I get 35 DVDs over a 2 week period, I can't quite watch them all in the same amount of time.
Same here: I just want to watch all those titles I've been stockpiling for the last few months before starting to buy again. So far, so good!
Old 12-07-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I've cut way back on buying by relying on my trade-in credit at DigitalEyes and using the DVDTalk trade forum more. The only DVD merchant that I'm not cutting down on is Columbia House.
Old 12-07-04, 01:53 PM

One part of my cut back is semi-blind rentals. I rarely go to the movies anymore so I read up on new movies and add them to my Netflix queue unless its a must have. However, my ongoing problem is grabbing the Tuesday deals for long awaited releases (mostly nastolgia, SE tradeups from bad early purchases, and box sets). The other reason for my cutback is that through compulsive buying over the years I have almost checked off my currently released want list.

Shawn
My DVDs
Old 12-07-04, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

God be praised!! I went out to buy 6 today....but only came home with two! I'm in control!

forgot about the order of 7 arriving on my doorstep tomorrow. I'm such a loser.
Old 12-07-04, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Man, I promised myself I would cut back a couple of months ago, then along came the DDD 20% off sale, the Amazon/Buy.com Fox box set deals, the BBV 3 for $25 PVD sale, Black Friday, and various week-of-release deals at Target & Best Buy, and now I've added an unprecedented 200+ DVDs in the past month. I'm not even done adding all my purchases into my DVDProfiler collection as I spend a bit of time every night adding a few more titles.
Old 12-08-04, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think most all of us have thought about cutting back at one time or another. That is easier said than done. Every week there is about 250 new DVD's coming out. Most people only hear about the main ones but there is a web site that lists all of them and it's shocking. Out of that many I'm bound to like at least one of them. I'm retired but may have to go back to work one day just to pay for my habit. To me the worst thing is I'm always 5 -10 DVD's behind in watching. Just as I get close to catching up I will get a bunch more. I want to watch some of my old stuff for a change but that would put me farther behind. If you can't watch the DVD's multiple times then we should have rented them in the first place instead of buying.

Oh yeah going to Costco tomorrow and buy Flintstones season 2 and put myself another 10 hours behind in watching.

Last edited by GMLSKIS; 12-08-04 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-08-04, 06:55 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by mr_jbloggs
DVD addiction is .....

....Buying a DVD because it says Criterion and its got a number.
Shut up, you!
Old 12-08-04, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
The last DVD I bought was Mystic River when it came out. I don't buy DVDs anymore period. I plan to buy Aladdin and the Disney tins for my collection but that's it until Disney's Platinum edition next year. I spend $35 a month on DVDs... $20 for Netflix and $15 for Hollywood video's MVP. I gave up watching TV and since I'm going back to school, working, and volunteering, I'm a lot more picky on what I spend my time on.
Old 12-08-04, 09:18 AM
wiz

Yes, I swore to cut down and I have. I haven't bought a DVD since Finding Nemo way back in the day. I want 24 Season 3 set, but I think I'll just rent it and watch it again that way. I have season 1 and 2, but don't really watch it anymore. Too busy working and planning for my wedding. :-)
Old 12-08-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GMLSKIS
I'm retired but may have to go back to work one day just to pay for my habit.

oh my god man, does anyone realize how bad that it is !?????
Old 12-08-04, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I did try but it keep pulling me back in .
Old 12-08-04, 10:50 AM

You know some of us that buy a lot also watch many. I have watched at least 15 to 20 movies in the last week. You need to buy to keep up with that rate of movie watching. At least I have adequate supply.
Austin
Old 12-08-04, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was going to save some this Fall/Winter but between the 3 for $25 sale @ CH and the 20% off sale I got 72 DVDs last month, I'm already at 7 this month, one of which being The World at War 11 DVD set.

I look at it this way though, by binging on DVDs this Fall/Winter I'll be done with the back catalog and strickly get only new releases next year.
Old 12-08-04, 11:08 AM

I waited for the DDD 20% sale this year to buy product and will do the same next year. What I bought this year will keep me busy for the year and I'm in no hurry to buy any product on initial release.

Cheers
Old 12-08-04, 11:44 AM

Location: The Fair City of Detroit, ok, The Fair Suburbs of Detroit
How often is the DDD 20% off sale. I know that they just had one, but is it yearly? quarterly? every six months?

I need to cut down on my DVD purchasing.

Yesterday, I came home with

Dodgeball
Bourne Supremecy
24 Season 3
All Three Walt Disney Treasures
and the Matrix Box

When I got home, I had three packages

Enter the Dragon SE (CH Deal of the Day)
Friends Season 7 & Friends Season 8 (DV2 Funcash)
Roswell Season 1 and Dark Angel Season 1 (Buy.com sale)

So, I got 12 DVDs yesterday. 10 of which had more than one disc.
Old 12-08-04, 11:46 AM

Compared to some of the tales here of buying 5+ a week or spending $1,000 in a few months, I guess I'm under control. Becuase I have to pay the mortgage and because I have about 35 unwatched DVDs on my To Be Watched shelf (some from last Christmas), I've been trying to keep DVD purchases to a minimum this year. This year my must-have-on-the-release-date titles were limited to the Return of the King Theatrical, Return of the King EE, Ghost in the Shell 2 and the Doctor Whos. I have so many unwatched DVDs that I figure I should avoid buying more titles until I'm actually ready to watch them. By the time I'm ready for them, they'll hopefully be cheaper. For example, I was itching to get Ed Wood. But in 12-24 months it'll probably be half the price or less. I can wait.

I was even able to restrain myself with the last DeepDiscount coupon. I picked up the Gamera box set and Cannonball Runs 1 & 2. (I had just seen It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World for the first time and it inspired me to see the Cannonball Run flicks for the first time in probably 15 years or so. They're still funny.) I went way overboard with last year's DeepDiscount coupon. I got something around 30 discs I think. Some of which I still haven't watched.
Old 12-08-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have 150+ on my shelf I haven't watched (probably actually closer to 200, but I haven't actually counted in a while). School has been more demanding this semester. That's one of the reasons why i agreed to cut back...

I just counted, I have 283 movies I haven't watched on the shelf, not including the all of the friends and X-files season that have been released, and the last 2 seasons of Angel released.
That is incredibly sad. I hope I get some of them watched over christmas break...

Last edited by ivelostr2; 12-08-04 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-08-04, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by JEStinson3
How often is the DDD 20% off sale. I know that they just had one, but is it yearly? quarterly? every six months?

I need to cut down on my DVD purchasing.

Yesterday, I came home with

Dodgeball
Bourne Supremecy
24 Season 3
All Three Walt Disney Treasures
and the Matrix Box

When I got home, I had three packages

Enter the Dragon SE (CH Deal of the Day)
Friends Season 7 & Friends Season 8 (DV2 Funcash)
Roswell Season 1 and Dark Angel Season 1 (Buy.com sale)

So, I got 12 DVDs yesterday. 10 of which had more than one disc.
Once a year it seems, normally in Nov or Dec. There's usually an announcement from dvdtalk.com at some point when the sale will happen.
Old 12-08-04, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by JEStinson3
Three times so far. Last year around November, this year around May, and then again in November. So if they continue this way, about every 6 months.
Old 12-08-04, 03:09 PM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
When I first started collecting DVD'S it was very easy to over spend on them because I had nothing and had everything to buy. Now a few years later it's getting harder and harder to buy new movies because I already have alot of the ones that I want. So my spending on DVD's has gone way down but i'm not out completely. There's still ones that I want to buy but just not a whole lot of them at the moment.
Old 12-08-04, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I swore to stop buying dvds to save money but still keep on spending. Next week I will be purchasing Top Gun and Lord of the rings.
Old 12-08-04, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I cut back about 9 months ago. I might buy a title once a week but then again there's been weeks where I didn't see a title that interested me. I also thinned out my collection. Got rid of well over 100 DVDs. I'm at about 450 DVDs currently.
I have about 35 movies and 4 box sets that are yet to be viewed. I figure what's the point in buying anything new when I have so much to watch. If I happen to find a title on my wishlist used then I probably would pick it up. It would have to be a title that was hard to find used though.
I definately used to be the guy buying 5-10 titles a week. No more though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.