Reload this Page >

Anyone buy Irreversible from DDD?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-05-04, 06:12 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased Irreversible from Deep Discount DVD because their website listed that the DVD had the following extras on it.

Audio Commentary - 1. Gaspar Noe - Director
2. Director & Crew
Trailer
Featurette - 1. Making of the Special Effects
Deleted Scenes

However, I have read reviews that say these extras were not included in the region 1 release. I have not opened mine because I will send it back if the extras are not there. Has anyone purchased the DVD from DDD and can confirm or deny if the extras are on there?
Old 12-05-04, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't have the DVD, but according to dvdcompare only Region 0 had the commentaries..
http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=3607
It also says that the deleted scenes are not included like the back states
What does the back of the box say?
Old 12-05-04, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts
The back cover of the R1 mentions the commentaries and the "Making of the Special Effects". As was mentioned they are NOT on th R1 release.

The error is with Lions Gate for the misinformation on the R1 box. DDD (and other sites) only went by what is printed on the box.
Old 12-05-04, 10:43 AM
Cool New Member

I got Irreversible from DDD about 6 months ago. It has everything but the Deleted Scenes. I think that DDD lists it as Region 1 but in fact it's Region free.
Old 12-05-04, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i got Irreversible at the recent DDD sale. french teasers are there, the special effects featurette is there, 2 music videos are there and a soundtrack promo.

there are no deleted scenes, and there is no audio commentary (which isnt listed on the box anyway).

i knew about this before but i ordered anyway, great price.
Old 12-05-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts
Hmmm I wonder if Lions Gate changed the release. I picked mine up at Best Buy on release day. This is what is listed on the back:

16x9 Widescreen 2.35:1
French 5.1 Dolby Digital Track
English and French Subtitles
Trailer
Deleted Scenes
French Teasers
The Making of the Special Effects

The actual Extras menu on the DVD lists:

Soundtrack
Stress
Outrage
Teasers

Now the Stress and Outrage things looked more like deleted(extended) scenes since there is no listing of either a band or the name of the music.
Old 12-05-04, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i think they may have added the special effects featurette on later pressings of the DVD. looking at my DVD case, i dont see any notations to specify this is a later pressing.
Old 12-05-04, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want to make sure you have the extras that a region 1 disc can give, get the Canadian Alliance version.

It has the Noe commentary (which is the only commentary for the film that is on any region disc that gives the commentary option) which is why i wanted the alliance version.

The 2 "clips" (not music videos but are set to music) which are nothing to write home about - just features more of the off kilter camera movements that are in the film -

Teasers and the trailer

SFX featurette which is good for a watch

One deleted scene (noticed I didn't say scenes as there is only one deleted scene on each region disc that offers that as part of the extras)

the short film which is in french and is only five minutes long
Old 12-05-04, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scarredgod
i got Irreversible at the recent DDD sale. french teasers are there, the special effects featurette is there, 2 music videos are there and a soundtrack promo.

there are no deleted scenes, and there is no audio commentary (which isnt listed on the box anyway).

i knew about this before but i ordered anyway, great price.
This may sound crazy --- I am not trying to make you feel stupid --- , but have you tried to get the commentary to play by choosing your audio option while the movie is playing. I opted out of getting the american r1 because, as almost every here, read that some extras were missing, so i got the alliance canadian version, and you cannot access the commentary from the extras menu. You have to go to the Audio option or switch to the third audio track for the commentary while the movie is playing.

I am asking this as some people in this thread have mentioned that they do have a commentary on the american region 1 and some don't.
Old 12-05-04, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I rented this when it was released. I only found the teasse and 'stress/outrage' clips.

Some have stated the features are in fact hidden on the menu. Or not exactly 'hidden',just harder to find since the menus are in the context of the film(ie-backwards). Is this true at all? I would like to see the effects feature at least.

But either way,the DDD price is excellent and I plan to pick it up(or ask for it for Xmas).
Old 12-05-04, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by conscience
This may sound crazy --- I am not trying to make you feel stupid --- , but have you tried to get the commentary to play by choosing your audio option while the movie is playing. I opted out of getting the american r1 because, as almost every here, read that some extras were missing, so i got the alliance canadian version, and you cannot access the commentary from the extras menu. You have to go to the Audio option or switch to the third audio track for the commentary while the movie is playing.

I am asking this as some people in this thread have mentioned that they do have a commentary on the american region 1 and some don't.
yes, actually i did try this just to be sure. i have 2 audio tracks, a 5.1 and a 2.0. no commentary.
Old 12-06-04, 01:30 AM

I bought SHEENA off DDD cause their web site said widescreen, but when I got the DVD today, it said foolscreen. so they are not reliable.
Old 12-06-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by prince_of_saturn
I bought SHEENA off DDD cause their web site said widescreen, but when I got the DVD today, it said foolscreen. so they are not reliable.
not sure exactly what you got, but it is both, widescreen and foolscreen.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=3096
Old 12-06-04, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by scarredgod
not sure exactly what you got, but it is both, widescreen and foolscreen.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=3096
well the package said foolscreen only, so it must be a re-release edition for k-mart then??
Old 12-06-04, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by prince_of_saturn
well the package said foolscreen only, so it must be a re-release edition for k-mart then??
maybe this is one those cases of Columbia removing the widescreen side of the double-sided discs when lowering the price.