Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Spiderman Season One/MTV

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-04, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spiderman Season One/MTV

Did Anyone got the new 2 Disc Set? Many people didn't like it but I did. It's not the best spiderman animation around but is there really any shows about it?

At first I didn't like it because I wasn't used to see animation with the new style they used on spiderman but I got used it and begin to like it. I haven't seen any reviews or talk about it. If anyone got the dvd yet please post your review or comments.
Old 12-01-04, 09:08 PM
Defunct Account

You didn't search DVDTalk's reviews Kar? For shame. I happened to have penned the review you're looking for:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=9212
Old 12-01-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

New? This came out last January. I'd respond with comments and such, but I'm having a hard time deciphering your rhetoric. I own it though. I guess that means I like it.

K
Old 12-01-04, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 600 Likes on 433 Posts
i hated it.
give me old fashioned real animation any day.

mary jane looked like her back was about to snap at any moment with that exaggerated posture
Old 12-01-04, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by whotony
i hated it.
give me old fashioned real animation any day.

mary jane looked like her back was about to snap at any moment with that exaggerated posture
It's just the style of the animation. I know it was weird to me at first also but I got used to it.
Old 12-01-04, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by videophile
You didn't search DVDTalk's reviews Kar? For shame. I happened to have penned the review you're looking for:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=9212

Nice review.

I didn't know there was a review about the 2 disc and I didn't know the 2 disc was out already.

I seen it in the stores but I thought it was only a few episodes not all season one.
Old 12-02-04, 01:54 AM

Originally posted by kar10
Nice review.

I didn't know there was a review about the 2 disc and I didn't know the 2 disc was out already.

I seen it in the stores but I thought it was only a few episodes not all season one.
There are a few single disc releases that contain a handful of episodes (3 each, I think) from the two-disc set, so maybe that's what you saw. But the 2-disc season one set was out before any of those and ends up being a much better value than purchasing the individual volumes.
Old 12-02-04, 06:20 AM
Banned

I loved the show! I thought it was true to the spirit of the comics and the animation was fantastic, it really looked like a comic brought to life, not to mention the wonderful voice actors! Awesome! And its in DTS!
Old 12-02-04, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
I loved the show! I thought it was true to the spirit of the comics and the animation was fantastic, it really looked like a comic brought to life, not to mention the wonderful voice actors! Awesome! And its in DTS!
Oh! That's right. That's what also grab my attention... DTS
Old 12-02-04, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually really loved this animated version of Spider-Man. He moved just like I imagined he would, and not in the slow pace the previous animated versions. The action was great, and yes,...I too had to get used to the animation. Though since I was a fan of other odd animted shows on MTV during the 90s, I didn't mind too much. I agree about the Mary Jane comment someone made above. You could have put glasses of whatever on each of her hips.
Old 12-02-04, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't like it either, just couldn't get into that type of animation.
Old 12-02-04, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought it used on a whim after never watching it on MTV and liked it, my son LOVED it. Has season 2 aired yet?
Old 12-02-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked it. More for the stories than anything else, but I thought the animation was great when Spidey was swinging around.

I wanted more. Did they even make a season 2?
Old 12-02-04, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
Nope.
Old 12-02-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If anyone has a Media Play in their area, it goes for $17.99 this week. (Was going to pricematch at Best Buy/Wal-Mart this afternoon but they didn't have any in stock at either store. I'll try to hit Media Play on Saturday.) I think when this first came out, Circuit City had a great deal for $12.99. (Stupid me never bother to go or even pricematch at BB etc.)

LB...

Last edited by LaxBandit; 12-02-04 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-02-04, 02:27 PM
Banned

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
I liked it. More for the stories than anything else, but I thought the animation was great when Spidey was swinging around.

Despite what the other poster said, the imdb listing shows that Season 2 is in production with the "last update" date being rather recent...Oct 19th '04, to be exact.

I too bought this 2-disc set on a whim after pondering the decision a while. I've watched it twice through and love it. Yes, the animation takes a little getting use to, but after a few minutes into it, you do and then you focus on the interesting stories and action. I love the action sequences. Very comic-book like. Shame the series only has 13 episodes behind it so far. I'd love to see another season or two. I'd love to see the Venom/Carnage story brought to life, and perhaps even Doc Oc and Green/Hobgoblin stuff.
Old 12-02-04, 02:58 PM
Banned

Originally posted by freudguy
I bought it used on a whim after never watching it on MTV and liked it, my son LOVED it. Has season 2 aired yet?
There was no Season 2 and it doesn't look like theres ever going to be any...damn shame.
Old 12-02-04, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Producer Avi Arad has said there will be a second season, but that it won't be on MTV.
Old 12-02-04, 03:47 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
They better hurry up to cash in on the second movie's popularity.

With any luck they'll take this one straight to video and release it like they did the first one- Anamorphic w/DTS.
Old 12-02-04, 03:52 PM
Banned

I kill for that!

well not really, but I really want it...in DTS!
Old 12-02-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked it as well. The 68 Spider Man just blew dog and I don't see why people like it so much with all the cut and paste images, and the 90's series was OK, but I felt the stories in the MTV series were far better. I didn't care for the art style at first, but you get past that. And as for some of the comments about the style criticizing Mary Jane's posture and such....What? You never seen exagerrated postures and features in animation before?

When is the second season supposed to air and any word of what networks are in consideration for this? I am hoping for Adult Swim on Cartoon Network.
Old 12-02-04, 08:03 PM
Banned

Originally posted by calhoun07
When is the second season supposed to air and any word of what networks are in consideration for this? I am hoping for Adult Swim on Cartoon Network.
That'd probably be the most logical choice.

All I know is that I'd kill, well not really, for a 2nd season for several reasons. 1) The sort-of cliff-hanger they left Season 1 at, and 2) Need to see more stories with classic villians, ie. Venom, Carnage, Vulture, Doc Oc, and even Rhino.
Old 12-02-04, 08:46 PM
Cool New Member

I love the series. One of the few I can watch over and over and over. I loved the computer generated graphics, the colors and reflections are great. I understand the criticisms about the detailing but you have to understand this is a TV show with time constraints and not the same budget of a movie.

You gotta love a series that uses Rob Zombie, Ed Asner, Lisa Leob.. what a hodgepodge.
Old 12-03-04, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Been thinking about picking this up. Hmmm..........DTS........just might have to.
Old 12-03-04, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I picked it up as a total blind buy, and like others, after getting used to the animation, loved it. It's an easy recommendation for any Spider-Man fan... much more than the '68 Collection.