Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Which Studio do you hate the most?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-04, 02:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Studio do you hate the most?

I personally hate Warner Bros. (although time warner owns new line it seems to be a totally different company when it comes to dvd releases and the extra features)

Columbia/Tri-Star/Sony the 3 versions of the same movie never seems to be getting old to them and people are actually buying making it that much worse.

Paramount-cheap special collector's editions but crappy extra features get what you pay for.

Likes Criterion, 20th century fox (exception of any james cameron movie) and Universal
Old 11-30-04, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What is so wrong with WB? Their two disc SEs have been great, especially the older films that usually don't get as much attention from other studios.

Sony is the worst in releasing multiple versions (SE, DC, SB, WTF).

As long as they keep releasing movies I like on DVD, I can't say I hate any of them.
Old 11-30-04, 03:07 AM

Warner Bros. release bare-bones crappy versions of movie and then months later two disks appear i'd have to say that's pretty much the reason why i hate them.
Old 11-30-04, 03:10 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
I like wb too. Have you seen what they have done with classics like gone with the wind and that's entertainment and they also put some extras on like shorts and docs on even less popular titles.

I dislke sony with its multiple releases often high prices and unfortunately they'll have a say on the mgm library now that they bought it.
Paramount has actually put a lot off effort in good transfers at often cheap prices and occasionally extras like murder on orient express. unfortunately their strategy of lower price points often means less extras.
Old 11-30-04, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Disney and all it's sub companies (Miramax, Dimension, Hollywood). Mainly for their treatment of foreign films.
Old 11-30-04, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by BenitoJuarez
Warner Bros. release bare-bones crappy versions of movie and then months later two disks appear i'd have to say that's pretty much the reason why i hate them.
Have to disagree with you there. The 2-disc SEs that WB have been releasing have been mainly been for movies that were released a while ago, with some exceptions of course. For example, the new 2-disc SE for Heat is replacing an at least 5 year old version. Just because you might have bought them recently doesn't mean they are necessarily new.

In terms of releasing newer versions over and over, Sony is the absolute worst, though not as bad as Anchor Bay with AOD.

Last edited by FinkPish; 11-30-04 at 03:15 AM.
Old 11-30-04, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
none. I think it's silly to hate a company that is distributing films I enjoy.
Old 11-30-04, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Who's the studio that's distributing Michael Moore's stuff.
Old 11-30-04, 07:19 AM
Needs to provide a working email

Universal. Kino. Sony.

Universal for being overall poor, and not licensing their films out more often.

Kino for dissapointing on almost all of their releases not in conjunction with others, and never close captioning their English language releases.

Sony for taking its sweet time on releasing decent editions of great movies, and for their lackluster (to say the very least) treatment of The Apu Trilogy.

Last edited by Der Zorn Gottes; 11-30-04 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-30-04, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by V-ism
Disney and all it's sub companies (Miramax, Dimension, Hollywood). Mainly for their treatment of foreign films.
Another vote for above.

I'm mixed on WB... on one hand, they treat some of their lesser titles, as, well, lesser titles, only releasing in full frame. BUT, on the other hand, they treat their better titles REALLY well (Gone with the Wind and Matrix come to mind).
Old 11-30-04, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lions Gate for their lack of uncut DVDs.
Old 11-30-04, 09:01 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Hate is such a strong word: The studios I find most disappointing:

Dreamworks and Disney for being so scatterbrain on not committing on some of their top A-title discs to include DTS.

Paramount Special Editions - come on guys, you can do better than this.

Every studio/DVD company that does not include Close Captioning for the hearing impaired: (wtf?) - this should be mandatory
Old 11-30-04, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sony - just release a Supberbit Deluxe and be done with it

Universal - just because there is a sequel, you do not have to release a new DVD
Old 11-30-04, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
At one time or another, all of them.
But then at one time or another I love 'em all.
As long as they keep releasing movies, I'm happy.
Old 11-30-04, 09:57 AM

Miramax for their EE on all new titles! Including Kill BIll and the SE of Pulp Fiction !
A close second is Universal for only supporting dts on some titles and always rereleasing everything! Do it right at least the second time! The same goes for Anchor Bay.

Studios I like:
Fox, WB, Paramount( their transfers is not always the best, but hey...), New Line, MGM( they have improved! )and of course Criterion!
Old 11-30-04, 10:05 AM

Universal for the glacial speed with which they release/re-release their titles, and their contempt for the DVD-buying public generally.

PEACH
Old 11-30-04, 10:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by MISS PEACH
Universal for the glacial speed with which they release/re-release their titles, and their contempt for the DVD-buying public generally.

PEACH
and forced trailers, tho thats not so much of a problem any more
Old 11-30-04, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Obviously you haven't watched Shrek2 heheh.
Old 11-30-04, 11:04 AM
Banned

I wont say that I hate any particular studios in general, but I hate particualr practices as mentioned above and with a few of my own gripes...

Double-dipping prequels because of a sequel

Multiple releases for combined multi-title packs

Re-releases because they didnt think to do it properly the first time (features, anamorphic transfers and proper audio)

Forced previews, PUOPs

Creating a disk "SE" when there is really nothing special about anythign on the 2nd disc and charging a higher price point.

Fullscreen versions - Education through non-patronization will get these folks in with the program

WS AND FS on the same disc or on flip side - stupid - lose the FS and give me better bitrate on the WS - just lose FS altogether

Flipper discs or spanning a single movie across 2 discs
Old 11-30-04, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm not a fan of the Warner Bros. DVD's that came out that were just the snap cases. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I HATED those.
Old 11-30-04, 11:18 AM

none
Old 11-30-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Universal. For sitting on it's back catalogue of classic horror and not releasing it (a couple hammer films, etc)

WB. - See Univeral.
Old 11-30-04, 11:46 AM

Sony is at the top of my sh-tlist. Their strategy of releasing multiple versions of their titles drives me nutz. Spider-Man 2 is just the latest example. Why is it that New Line and Fox can offer Blade II, Daredevil, and X-Men 2 with DD, DTS, and multiple commentaries, and the rest of the extras on a second disc, with an affordable price to boot, yet Sony forces me to choose between a superior transfer and DTS or supplements?

I also can't stand the disrespect Sony shows their TV shows on DVD. They make no effort to secure the music rights, with even the theme songs getting replaced lately. And they cram too many episodes on each disc. The one show they've apparently gotten right lately is Seinfeld, but that's because they knew they would've incurred a neverending sh-tstorm if they hadn't.

Universal is a close second on my list these days. They no longer offer DTS on big budget titles that could really take advantage of it. They have forced trailers on their DVDs, and sometimes you can't even skip them. They also seem to be going out of their way to hide the "widescreen" and "foolscreen" labels on the cover. About the only thing they're getting right lately is their TV show releases. Unlike Sony, they're somehow securing the music rights for titles like Miami Vice and Quantum Leap without passing the cost onto the consumer which I have to admit is a pleasant surprise.
Old 11-30-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All those who release with Bilingual covers here in canada.
Old 11-30-04, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anabolic?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.