Once more: Back to the Future [merged]

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Once more: Back to the Future [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-04, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought the Fullscreen versions back in 2003, because WalMart only had those.
Luckily I got those instead of this Misframes.

BTTF is shot in 1.37:1, excluding the SFX shots (they were shot in 1.85:1)

Why? Zemeckis knew more people would see the move on Home Video than in theatres.

I love the BTTF trilogy enough to visit the BTTF.com forums daily.
Old 12-07-04, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Looks like V2 versions will finally be out in the US in Jan 2005.
Old 12-07-04, 01:14 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chrisedge
Good. I've held out. The mail in isn't a super big deal, but I just held off on principle. They should have got it right the first time. It's not like they rushed these out early in the DVD era or anything.
Old 12-08-04, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by supersonicx
BTTF is shot in 1.37:1, excluding the SFX shots (they were shot in 1.85:1)

Why? Zemeckis knew more people would see the move on Home Video than in theatres.
Umm, no. If you listen to the audio commentary they say that he shot in 1.85:1 (as he usually does) because he likes the depth of focus you can get in that ratio. And if he really wanted the movies to be in 1.33:1, why didn't he make the special effects shots in this ratio also?
Old 12-08-04, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Big Worms
Also is there anyway to get a new slipcase for this set? The one I got from DDD is in bad shape.
Any ideas on this one?
Old 12-08-04, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Yocke
Umm, no. If you listen to the audio commentary they say that he shot in 1.85:1 (as he usually does) because he likes the depth of focus you can get in that ratio. And if he really wanted the movies to be in 1.33:1, why didn't he make the special effects shots in this ratio also?
Yes, they did film it in 'fullscreen'. They did this because they'd really hate to see their films ruined in the pan-n-scan process. They did this becuase they knew that there'd be people who'd insist on buying a version that 'fits their screen'. They didn't want these people to watch a butchered, horribly disfigured pan-n-scan version of their work. So, they decided to film the majority of the film in 1.37:1, keeping the poor people who will end up with a fullscreen version in mind. They always intended to matte it to a 1.85:1 aspect ratio when they were filming. They didn't concern themselves to what was going on in the 'extra space' not to be shown in theatres, or widescreen versions. Hence, the 1.85:1 widescreen verions are the original, intended way to watch the films. And the 'fullscreen' versions were kindly fashioned for the ones who always insist on 'filling their screen'.

Actually, the original release negatives were on a 1.37:1 fame (except for the special effects shots, which were hard-matted to 1.85:1), however the INTENDED COMPOSITION of the filming was or a 1.85:1 exhibition, meaning that the 'extra' top and bottom information in the 'fullscreen' release is not part of the director's original vision

Last edited by supersonicx; 12-08-04 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-08-04, 12:03 PM

Let me also add:
From the Bob Gale and Neil Canton commentary :

Gale: And the other reason was that it's not a big movie and since we couldn't show as much on the sides of the frame as you can in a big, outdoor movie, we decided that there was no point in shooting it in widescreen, and the 1.77:1 format had just been decided as the standard for widescreen televisions of the future...

Gale: ...and we figured that by shooting it in 1.85:1, in the end, more people would see the movie on video than they saw in the theater, and they would see it much closer to what Bob and Dean intended in their framing by shooting it in 1.85:1 than if we shot it in widescreen.

I rest my case.

Last edited by supersonicx; 12-08-04 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-08-04, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Yocke
And if he really wanted the movies to be in 1.33:1, why didn't he make the special effects shots in this ratio also?
Since the movies were intended to be in widescreen (They intended it for theatre purposes), all special effects shots have been produced in widescreen. So if you watch the movies in fullscreen, you see more of the frame in all scenes besides the special effects. Those scenes have been zoomed in.

Originally Posted by BTTF Forums - OFFICIAL Widescreen DVD Problem FAQ
Q. Is the "pan & scan" version affected?

A. No. The pan & scan version shows the entire frame (similar to the laserdisc image underneath the DVD image in the above picture), and thus is unaffected by framing.

Q. But shouldn't I be seeing MORE in the widescreen version??

A. Normally, yes. However BTTF was filmed in a soft matte format where the full frame is "matted" (covered, 'black bars' on the top and bottom) to achieve a widescreen ratio. When the film is released on Pan & Scan, the film is unmatted (some films are unmatted for P&S, most aren't AFAIK). Thus you see more of the picture vertically, but this is usually not the way the director intended. Most of the time the director prefers the widescreen framing of his film.
Link?
http://www.bttf.com/ubb/ultimatebb.p...c;f=9;t=001337

Let's see what IMDb says:

It seems that the negatives for the film were shot on 1.37:1.
To save everyone the trip to IMDB, Parts II and III were also shot in 1.37:1

They misframed full frame shots on v1, which is what caused the v2 DVDs.

I'll shut up now

Last edited by supersonicx; 12-08-04 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-08-04, 01:11 PM

Holy crap! That's alot of text for a reply to a two line post! It seems we agree here, that the widescreen version of the film is the correct one. It sounded in your first post like Zemeckis shot it in 1.37:1 because that's the way he liked it, and then he had to crop it for cinemas. Now I see what you mean.
Old 12-08-04, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Except, that for someone who seems to be arguing in favor of the widescreen versions in the previous few posts... he bought the full screen DVDs...

K
Old 12-08-04, 05:42 PM

I did definitely. I bought them in 2003.
The WS DVDs that were available were the misframed ones.
I, for one, do not want a misframed DVD.

Since the only WS shots are the SFX shots, I went ahead and bought the FF versions.
For the record, there's only 32 SFX shots in BTTF1.

Also, seeing as how some fans of the trilogy STILL haven't recieved their V2 DVDs (referring to users on BTTF.COM), and that it would be a hassle to send Universal the discs anyway, I decided to do myself a favor and get the Full Frame Edition.

Last edited by supersonicx; 12-08-04 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-08-04, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by supersonicx
I decided to do myself a favor and get the Full Frame Edition.
Kind of a lesser of two evils things huh?

I picked up the DVDs when they first came out and while I was anxious to get the replacements I waited for a few months so that I would be sending mine in with EVERYONE else. When I finally sent mine in it took only a few weeks to get mine back. Full Frame was never an option for a split second.
Old 12-09-04, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
Also at a lower price of $27.98 SRP.

What is interesting is that it is going oop June 6, 2005. Which then it is rumored that at the end of the year a SE version is going to be released.

http://www.bttf.com/backtalk/2004120...-reprice.shtml
Old 12-09-04, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What is interesting is that it is going oop June 6, 2005. Which then it is rumored that at the end of the year a SE version is going to be released.

ahhh crap! I get it for the DDD 20% and now there's a SE!
Old 12-09-04, 02:59 PM

Wow just checked mine, didn't notices that before! Weird, can I still trade in my R2/R4 disc?
Old 12-09-04, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is actually WHY it is posted with a new release date. That is what a lot of sites do when there is an upcoming price drop.

Okay well my "holding off" on this set continues...
Old 12-10-04, 09:53 PM
Cool New Member

Corrected Back to the Future Re-Release

A corrected version of the Back to the Future Trilogy will be re-released on Jan 25th at a new lower price. (the aspect ratio was misframed on the first set) The new price is 27.98 Here is more info:

I will definitely pick this up. Anyone else?
Old 12-10-04, 09:57 PM

Already a thread on this.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396512
But yes I will be getting this one and the SE version if they come out with it at the end of the year.
Old 12-10-04, 10:50 PM

it is rumored that at the end of the year a SE version is going to be released.

What can they put on the disk that isn't already on the current release? It seems to me that they've included just about everything they can. I guess this would be unique in that you could purchase just the one movie instead of the whole trilogy. The only thing I can imagine that they can include that they haven't are clips of Eric Stoltz as Marty. I would double dip for that, but I can't imagine for what else that isn't already on this stacked set...
Old 12-10-04, 11:04 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow. Great price!
Old 12-10-04, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by exparr0t
What can they put on the disk that isn't already on the current release? It seems to me that they've included just about everything they can. I guess this would be unique in that you could purchase just the one movie instead of the whole trilogy. The only thing I can imagine that they can include that they haven't are clips of Eric Stoltz as Marty. I would double dip for that, but I can't imagine for what else that isn't already on this stacked set...
How about high definition?
Old 12-14-04, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzinator
FWIW, I just bought the set from DDD with their most recent 20% sale and they shipped the non-remastered copy.

I called (888) 703-0010 and they are still doing the replacements of discs 2 and 3. If you call, they send out the prepaid mailer to be returned to:

Back to the Future DVd returns
P.O. Box 224468
Dallas, TX 75260

I also just did the Monty Python Meaning of Life last month with no problems.
Is this a recording or a live person?
Old 12-14-04, 02:12 AM

I am assuming they send these back to you in a better way than the envelope they have you send yours back in?? I just got the pre-paid 'paper' single CD holder today.. I'm wondering if I should get an extra delivery confirmation on this to make sure I don't get screwed. Any idea how long it will take to get these back?
Old 12-14-04, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by The Monkees
Is this a recording or a live person?

It's a live person - but, I believe the live person mans a number of different 800 numbers and reads the script for the line they answer. The script they read is verbatim the language posted online about the ability to request the mailer to exchange your DVDs for the V2 version.
Old 12-14-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Wow, so the 'full screen' dvd's actually show more... g'dammit. I'm 100% behind widescreen for every movie but if full frame was meant to show the most... I should buy that I guess when the price gets dropped.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.