New Kubrick DVD set being released?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New Kubrick DVD set being released?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-04, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What will be on the new 2001 DVD? Any details out there yet?

aw
Old 11-16-04, 09:19 AM
Cool New Member

I would love to see a SE of A Clockwork Orange and The Shining.
Old 11-16-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Although I bought the remastered box set, it would be nice to see special editions of all his films.

These are movies worth douple-dipping IMHO.

If only to just get rid of the snappers.
Old 11-16-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Paris
I would love to see a SE of A Clockwork Orange and The Shining.
agreed!
Old 11-18-04, 01:19 AM

So I take it that no one has any back-up information on this topic? Any details?

MontyPythonFan
Old 11-18-04, 07:42 PM

well I for one don't have an interest in this box set. Uncut versions of many films will not be included, so I would rather buy a laserdisc player (which I was planning to anyways) and get the OOP criterion discs.
Old 11-20-04, 05:14 AM

Originally posted by undergradsfan
well I for one don't have an interest in this box set. Uncut versions of many films will not be included, so I would rather buy a laserdisc player (which I was planning to anyways) and get the OOP criterion discs.
I've always wanted to know why OOP Laserdiscs are so important. They for one, are terrible in quality, and two, do not make much of an exultant home viewing experience. Is it because they are worth a humongous amount of money? Anyone care to enlighten me?

Thanks,

MontyPythonFan

Last edited by MontyPythonFan; 03-18-07 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-20-04, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
1) Sometimes it's the ONLY way to have a decent UNCUT version of a movie.
2) The quality isn't that terrible. Might not be quite as nice as DVD but (usually) it's a damn sight better than VHS.
3) Many extras won't get ported over to the DVD release due to rights issues or plain stupidity.
4) Did I mention sometimes it's the ONY way to have a decent UNCUT version of a movie?
Old 11-20-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by MontyPythonFan
I've always wanted to know why Out of Print Laserdiscs are important. They, for one, are terrible in quality, and, two, do not make much of an exultant home-viewing experience. Is it because they are worth a humongous amount of money? Anyone care to enlighten me on this particular subject?
As spoken by someone who has never in his life laid eyes on a laserdisc.
Old 11-20-04, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by Josh Z
As spoken by someone who has never in his life laid eyes on a laserdisc.
I've owned three laserdiscs, and have watched them countlessly, but hey, thanks for your contributive opinion!
Old 11-21-04, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, it was a just a little joke commenting on all these Kubrick + widescreen = bad/good comments floating about. No need to take it seriously.

MontyPythonFan
My brother has a 16:9 Full Metal Jacket and had a 16:9 Clockwork Orange on his HDTivo. Gotta love direct TV.
Old 11-21-04, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've owned three laserdiscs, and have watched them countlessly, but hey, thanks for your contributive opinion!
You need a better laserdisc player, and/or to buy some halfway decent discs.
Old 11-21-04, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by lordzeppelin
I would be pissed, I've quad-dipped on one Kubrick title (strangelove) and tripled on Eyes wide shut, and doubled on the box set in it's current incarnation...Just leave the damn things alone!
Better yet, the home entertainment divisions of the movie studios should do them RIGHT the FIRST time.
Old 11-21-04, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by tacomantt
My brother has a 16:9 Full Metal Jacket and had a 16:9 Clockwork Orange on his HDTivo. Gotta love direct TV.
Well at least for FMJ, it's not even the proper aspect ratio, so having them isn't exactly a great coup. Remember, it's the PROPER aspect ratio that most important.
Old 11-21-04, 09:19 PM

Any word on the Kubrick shorts being released on DVD. A VHS version of a few of them came out years ago.

A DVD was planned. Not sure what happened to it.
Old 11-21-04, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DVD Josh
Well at least for FMJ, it's not even the proper aspect ratio, so having them isn't exactly a great coup.
This has been covered ad nauseum. Full Metal Jacket was composed for theatrical exhibition at 1.85:1. What Kubrick preferred on home video is another matter.
Old 11-22-04, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been crawling around for info on a 2001 rerelease which was mentioned somewhere, and saw this on The Digital Bits
Posted on 4/23/04 at this location:
Tonight I was fortunate enough to see Leon Vitali in person at a special screening of Barry Lyndon at the University of Colorado. In his discussion, Mr. Vitali revealed that Warner Bros. is planning to release the uncensored international version of Eyes Wide Shut here in the States, sometime next year. Not sure if this was already officially announced or not.
Interesting indeed. You've gotta assume there'd be more than 30 extra seconds and a trailer on there though, or at least I hope. I'll post if I ever find the 2001 info.
Old 11-22-04, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is no "extra" footage. The current dvd is "uncut".
However, digital images were added in several shots to block out some naughty stuff....
Old 11-22-04, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I just ordered the Dr. Strangelove SE...Im not sure how many of these I would repurchase. Id probably rebuy 2001 and A Clockwork Orange if they had some interesting bonus material, Eyes Wide Shut if it was unedited/OTAR, The Shining and Full Metal Jacket if they were OTAR (original theatrical aspect ratio). Lolitas fine as it is and I only have Barry Lyndon because it was in the box .
Old 11-22-04, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

These dvd's do contain the films in their OTAR's. You can simply obscure the top and bottom parts, which is exactly what was done in theaters....

The difference in resolution simply doesn't amount to that much difference in quality. The problem is that usually (but not with the Kubricks), an open matte 4:3 dvd (or a non-anamorphic 1.85:1 dvd) of a 1.85:1 movie implies a lack of care or/and an old LD transfer, so these dvd's are generally inferior.
Old 11-22-04, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by FilmStudent
Any word on the Kubrick shorts being released on DVD. A VHS version of a few of them came out years ago.

A DVD was planned. Not sure what happened to it.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm reasonably sure that the Kubrick shorts were never released officially in any format. 'The Seafarers' was going to be released by some weird on-line company, and might have been briefly available from them on VHS, and there was definitely talks that they'd release it on DVD, but nothing ever seemed to come of that. I'm definitely not aware of any official release of 'Day of the Fight' or 'Flight of the Padre' (I got them on a VHS bootleg of 'Fear and Desire').

I do kinda think there will be a release of the "lost" (which is to say, disowned) Kubrick stuff some day. But, boy, the ghost of Kubrick probably wouldn't like that.

[Interestingly, I was reading a book of Kubrick interviews the other day, and he used to disown 'Killer's Kiss' as well, in the early '60's, yet that's been allowed to circulate.]
Old 11-22-04, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ENDContra
Id probably rebuy ... The Shining and Full Metal Jacket if they were OTAR (original theatrical aspect ratio).
I'd buy 'The Shining' if it had the alternate, shorter cut, because I'm curious about how Kubrick himself chose to change it to try to shorten it. (Obviously, if they somehow found the footage Kubrick cut just after the release, that'd be amazing, but I wouldn't expect anything like that.)

Lolitas fine as it is
Actually, I believe that 'Lolita' is supposed to have a rotating aspect ratio like that of 'Strangelove', by what Kubrick wanted. I think the LD release had it, from what I understand, but I may be mis-remembering what I was told on that front.
Old 11-22-04, 09:52 PM

ThatGuamGuy - you are correct, sir. The VHS version of The Seaferes was released on VHS. The company that did it announced a DVD release of it and hinted/stated that we would see Day of the Fight and Flight of the Padre.

They even announced a number of interesting people on the audio commentary.

But they wanted to make sure none of those films were marketed at a lost treasure. It was meant to be out there just to show more work of a great artist.

Perhaps, Killer's Kiss is too big of a release to simply ignore.
Old 11-23-04, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
I'd buy 'The Shining' if it had the alternate, shorter cut, because I'm curious about how Kubrick himself chose to change it to try to shorten it. (Obviously, if they somehow found the footage Kubrick cut just after the release, that'd be amazing, but I wouldn't expect anything like that.)

The R2 release of The Shining contains the shorter cut.
Old 11-23-04, 08:19 AM

The laserdisc of Lolita was the same aspect ratio as the DVD... 1.66:1. I don't think it was supposed to rotate like Strangelove's.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.