Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

2010 - multiple releases - which newer, better?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 05-09-03, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried searching for this here on the site, in the forums, and elsewhere on the net, but couldn't find any definite answers.

I noticed today on columbia house that the picture of the DVD case they have for 2010: The Year We Make Contact is different from the one I bought at Best Buy a few months ago. On Columbia House (and amazon.com) the DVD case has a picture of Discovery against the Monolith against Jupiter ( http://images.amazon.com/images/P/63...1.LZZZZZZZ.gif ). On Bestbuy.com is the picture of the cover of the DVD I have, with the space baby looking at Jupiter ( http://www.bestbuy.com/movies/produc...&e=11011735#VD ). I looked at the date on my DVD and it's 2000. It's one of the latch-close cases. There's only 1 disc and no "8-page booklet" (not sure if the other has those 2 things or not).

So my questions are 1) which version is newer and 2) which version is better (and what are the meaningful differences)?
Old 05-09-03, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
never heard anything about different dvd versions. I have the same as you....snapper case with no insert, just the gatefold inner cover. if theres one out there with a booklet...I want it. I thought I was alone in really liking this movie. maybe it's because I love Roy!!!
Old 05-09-03, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by laserdogg
Years ago MGM briefly released 2010, Westworld, Logan's Run and some others in keepcases with those booklets and yes, 2010 had the 8 page booklet. Since I prefer keepcases, I bought all the ones that were going OOP to be re-released by WB in snappers.

Here's the cover of that 2010 disc. This flick is a favorite of mine too since the time I saw it in a theater in '84.

you know I want that!! I like the cover much more. and the booklet....nice. hope a search works out. I'll take a used copy of this...something I have not done. saw this here in Des Moines in '84 as well!!!!
Old 05-09-03, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Years ago MGM briefly released 2010, Westworld, Logan's Run and some others in keepcases with those booklets and yes, 2010 had the 8 page booklet. Since I prefer keepcases, I bought all the ones that were going OOP to be re-released by WB in snappers.

Here's the cover of that 2010 disc. This flick is a favorite of mine too since the time I saw it in a theater in '84.

Now we need (for Scheider) The Seven-ups to be released and I still need to get Sorcerer (wasn't that title a problem because it wasn't released in its OAR) and maybe 52 Pick-up

Edited to add a bunch of crap that threw off the posting sequence. SORRY!
Old 05-09-03, 10:58 PM

I agree on the Sorcerer disc. but I had to have it anyway. this is a fav of mine that I also saw in the theater. man, I saw alot of Roy's films on the big screen. and I loved the theater experience back from about 76 to 86....great flicks!
Old 05-09-03, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep, saw Sorcerer here in DSM too. Don't remember which theater though, probably Fleur 4.

I used to work at the River Hills/Riviera and practically lived at the theaters here in DSM. I was truly sorry they destroyed that theater last year. My earliest memory of that theater was my parents taking me to see Patton in '70. That big curved screen was awesome and the theater sold all seats on a reserved basis. Other memorable flicks there were Earthquake, Rollerball (1975), Barry Lyndon, Alien, blah, blah, blah.

GF and I usually catch a movie or 2 at Wynnsong now. The rest on DVD or screeners.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I felt like sharing

Oh, to answer the OP question, both transfers are identical (non-anamorphic)
Old 05-10-03, 12:02 AM
Rest in Peace

Dizzy

Watching that long ship go round and round in the DVD menu YO, I liked the Russian who was lost. Hot dogs boiling all summer and which mustard do you like.
Dave Bowman didn't look a day older than in 2001, except when Sheider followed him
to where they kept the pods. 2.35:1 LBX

Last edited by danol; 05-10-03 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-10-03, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think anyone has officially clarified this, so just in case... [EDIT: Actually, I guess laserdogg already did. Oh well.]

The only difference between the MGM and Warner editions is the packaging. The transfers and content are identical.

That being said, I made sure to grab the MGM one just as it was going out-of-print (along with Forbidden Planet, Poltergeist, and Logan's Run). The Warner reissues were the same, but in snappers.

Last edited by bboisvert; 05-10-03 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-10-03, 12:37 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Are they going to rerelease this in a nice anamorphic transfer? I mean, it's no 2001 (what is?), but it's still a good movie in its own right.
Old 05-10-03, 03:47 PM

Yep, saw Sorcerer here in DSM too. Don't remember which theater though, probably Fleur 4.

I used to work at the River Hills/Riviera and practically lived at the theaters here in DSM. I was truly sorry they destroyed that theater last year. My earliest memory of that theater was my parents taking me to see Patton in '70. That big curved screen was awesome and the theater sold all seats on a reserved basis.
right on man. dogg.....the River Hills/Riviera was my FAV place for film going. cool that you worked there. bet I've seen you more than once...either there or dvd shopping! yeah, I was devestated when they tore it down...I watched as they destroyed the place....very sad day. saw Star Wars there about 50 times in '77. countless other films.

good news...found the 2010 oop dvd on-line for 10 bucks!!!!! cant wait to get it...thanks for your info. gonna have to hook up one of these days...buy some dvds....and have a beer.

btw, your collection is.....enough to make me cry! awesome. wish I had been collecting films before 2 years ago!

Last edited by gutwrencher; 05-10-03 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-19-03, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
If any of you want to pick this movie up, I found it at my Wal-Mart for $5.88. The only difference between this and the MGM disc is the inclusion of a Pan&Scan version.
Old 07-19-03, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Warner DVD has the Making-of Featurette from the MGM disc? I thought it didn't, but it does have the theatrical trailer that wasn't on the MGM DVD?
Old 07-19-03, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

cloudnin, I would stay away from any transfer that is currently available. NONE OF THEM are 16x9 enhanced and ALL sport the mediocre transfer used for the widescreen LaserDisc.
Old 07-19-03, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by highdef
cloudnin, I would stay away from any transfer that is currently available. NONE OF THEM are 16x9 enhanced and ALL sport the mediocre transfer used for the widescreen LaserDisc.
I don't subscribe to this attitude. Especially for the price this disc sells new for. For movies I deem essential to the collection, I'll take the best available version and upgrade as improved versions are released. As far as sending a message to the studios? OK, I'll send a message, literally.
Old 07-19-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I do subscribe to this attitude... 2010 should be issued again with a nice new 16X9 transfer. The current disc is suck. $5.88 or not, it is suck. Sure, I'd like to have 2010 in the collection, but I'm with highdef here 100%... No 16X9 transfer = no sale. A letterboxed transfer may be OK if you still have a 4X3 set, but for those of us with HDTVs it is completely unacceptable. Yeah, yeah, I know what you're going to say... "but it's better than not having it all! and I'm a film collector/lover!"... Hey, whatever makes you happy, doesn't change the fact that the MGM and WB DVDs of this title are suck. Suck is suck and this disc is suck.

And yes, I do own letterboxed films, but I haven't picked one up since the day I bought my 16X9... That was over a year ago... If the studios would re-issue Psycho, Vertigo, etc with new 16X9 transfers, I would upgrade in a heartbeat.
Old 07-19-03, 10:43 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
I'm not sure what's keeping them from reissuing 2010. The time was ripe when they did 2001.

Maybe there are licensing issues involved? I think a reissue would sell fairly well.
Old 07-19-03, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by LBPound
The Warner DVD has the Making-of Featurette from the MGM disc? I thought it didn't, but it does have the theatrical trailer that wasn't on the MGM DVD?
The Warner DVD has the Making-of Featurette, the same as the old MGM one. There is no theatrical trailer. I believe that's only available on the old MGM DVD of 2001. Has anyone noticed that these DVD documentaries and featurettes of movie with Roy Scheider always show him having trouble with the props? In 2010, he has trouble with the pens that are supposed to be suspended in the zero-g environment, and in the Jaws DVD, they show multiple outakes of him having difficulty with the prop gun.

Johnny Zhivago, I think you may be overreacting a bit to the 2010 DVD. If you really want to see a crappy DVD, you should take a look at the Zulu my dad got a few years back. It was made by some company I've never even heard of before or since. I swear the video on that thing looked 10 times worse than some of the video clips on those "interactive" CD-ROM games from the 90s. And I guarantee you he paid more that $5.88+tax for that.

Last edited by Cartload; 07-19-03 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-19-03, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
Well, I do subscribe to this attitude... 2010 should be issued again with a nice new 16X9 transfer. The current disc is suck. $5.88 or not, it is suck. Sure, I'd like to have 2010 in the collection, but I'm with highdef here 100%... No 16X9 transfer = no sale. A letterboxed transfer may be OK if you still have a 4X3 set, but for those of us with HDTVs it is completely unacceptable. Yeah, yeah, I know what you're going to say... "but it's better than not having it all! and I'm a film collector/lover!"... Hey, whatever makes you happy, doesn't change the fact that the MGM and WB DVDs of this title are suck. Suck is suck and this disc is suck.

And yes, I do own letterboxed films, but I haven't picked one up since the day I bought my 16X9... That was over a year ago... If the studios would re-issue Psycho, Vertigo, etc with new 16X9 transfers, I would upgrade in a heartbeat.
Let your opinion be heard. Purchase whatever you wish. I don't speak for you........
Yeah, yeah, I know what you're going to say... "but it's better than not having it all! and I'm a film collector/lover!"
So please do not speak for me. I am capable of forming my own responses.

Happy owner of the 2010 LD & DVD
Old 07-19-03, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Cartload
Johnny Zhivago, I think you may be overreacting a bit to the 2010 DVD. If you really want to see a crappy DVD, you should take a look at the Zulu my dad got a few years back. It was made by some company I've never even heard of before or since. I swear the video on that thing looked 10 times worse than some of the video clips on those "interactive" CD-ROM games from the 90s. And I guarantee you he paid more that $5.88+tax for that.
Yeah, I know, I'm just trying to make my point on how much the DVD of 2010 irks me... Yes, there are much worse DVDs on the market, don't even get me started on the Ran Masterworks disc... Or Arlington Road for that matter, both of which sport anamorphic transfers...

laserdogg > That quote was not aimed at you in particular, no offense intended, it was meant as a broad statement for everyone who supports non-anamorphic widescreen transfers... That includes you Gut...
Old 07-20-03, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The stance of No Anamorphic=No Sale really does not have much meaning any more since all the studios are releasing their DVD's Anamorphically enhanced (sans the very few exceptions). Whenever Warner re-releases 2010 it is a given it will be Anamorphic! Boycotting this disc will not push forward a re-release but may in fact delay it if sales of the first DVD are so low that they deem it not worth the trouble of re-releasing. I would prefer Warner concentrate on releasing films not out at all first and then release titles like 2010 when they have time.

If you a a fan of the film do yourself a favor and buy the current release (which goes for next to nothing) and enjoy the film until the studio re-releases it.
Old 07-21-03, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

laserdogg, you obviously DO NOT own a 16x9 television, as you WOULD CARE about the poor quality of this sub-standard transfer.
Old 07-21-03, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
Gutwrencher, Laserdogg, you're not seeing movies at the Merle Hay Mall Cinema? I loved River Hills, but Merle Hay Mall really is superior.

I saw Episode I, Jedi and Star Wars at River Hills. It truly rocked.
Old 07-21-03, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

laserdogg, you obviously DO NOT own a 16x9 television, as you WOULD CARE about the poor quality of this sub-standard transfer.
Whether I own a 16x9 set is inconsequential. The only choice for me at this time with this title is the release that's currently available. I choose to purchase the current release despite its shortcomings, because I want the movie. That's it. End of story. My choice.

You obviously DO NOT agree with my purchasing decisions and make assumptions about my viewing enviroment. I will upgrade should an improved version be released.

I knew the hotheads out there would respond this way. Ease off, relax and just let it go.
Old 07-21-03, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by majorjoe23
Gutwrencher, Laserdogg, you're not seeing movies at the Merle Hay Mall Cinema? I loved River Hills, but Merle Hay Mall really is superior.

I saw Episode I, Jedi and Star Wars at River Hills. It truly rocked.
Cool, another local!

Sadly I don't go to MHM Cinema much. The theater is an independent and I didn't care for the "ambiance" the last couple of times I was there.

I'll admit I haven't visited in a while as the only movies I can recall seeing there are (gasp) ConAir and Some Like It Hot. Seems the seats were a little old fashioned too.

Have they improved it much?
Old 07-21-03, 05:39 PM

Whether I own a 16x9 set is inconsequential. The only choice for me at this time with this title is the release that's currently available. I choose to purchase the current release despite its shortcomings, because I want the movie. That's it. End of story. My choice.

You obviously DO NOT agree with my purchasing decisions and make assumptions about my viewing enviroment. I will upgrade should an improved version be released.

I knew the hotheads out there would respond this way. Ease off, relax and just let it go.
ahh...it's so nice when I can let someone speak for me. I agree with every word.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.