"I'm a baaaaaaaad disc" or my terrible night with Abbott and Costello

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-04, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Earlier this evening I expressed my love for Charlie Chaplin films. This love extends as well to the films of Abott and Costello, pictures I watched each Sunday at my dads place when it was "his weekend" growing up. When Universal started releasing these 8 per set I was thrilled and scooped up BOTH sets last week to prepare for set 3 (I couldn't hold out for a box set any longer).

This past week has been a blast! I watched two films a night (or so) and laughed and had a great time with these movies I remember so fondly from my childhood.

Until tonight...

I get to the second last film on disc 2 - Set One (Pardon my Saroong) and 20 min in it freezes. Just like that. I did everything I could to FIX it but it was still stuck. I figured I would take it back the next day for a replacement (I have to return it in 14 days and I have 3 left). Well, at least I had the other set to start watching now, right?

You guessed it, 1 minute into the second film on disc 1 - Set 2 (In Society) the same problem happens.

ARGH!

I then started reading how many of these sets are damaged and such. Are all of them like this?
Old 07-30-04, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird. I have sets 1 & 2 and haven't had that problem. I've played them on two different types of Toshibas. I'm expecting set 3 any day now.
Old 07-30-04, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I sailed through both sets without any problems.
Old 07-30-04, 10:39 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I know some folks complained about freezing on the first set, but others, including me, have experienced no problem with either set.
Old 07-30-04, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just dumb like, I guess. I will return them thought the store I bought them from has no more copies, thus, I will have to wait for an order to come in and hope that the second go round with these are better then the first.
Old 07-30-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't have any problems with my Set #1
Old 07-30-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess the one good thing about all this is that I get to watch and enjoy the first 7 films all over again!
Old 07-30-04, 09:00 PM

No problems here either. Both sets play fine on my Toshiba.
Old 08-04-04, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

UPDATE: I managed to get my money back after a SECOND set for Vol. 1 froze at the same place. I checked the discs at a friends house and they froze as well.

On my way home I pop into an HMV and they have Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 at two for $40 (CDN). That is 20 bucks cheaper then what I paid at the first store and I said, what the hell, I'll try again.

Vol. 1 seems okay (I am halfway thru Who Done It?) and another good thing is that I got the insert with Vol. 2 (something missing on both other sets).

*cross fingers*
Old 08-06-04, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts
I have had NO problems at all with all three collections.

Lucky Me!!!
Old 08-07-04, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I stand corrected. After watching Vol. 2 Hit the Ice and Her Come the Co-Eds again on a new player I found that it does freeze. So I have one disc of Vol. 2 that won't play on one of my DVD players all the way through...but it works on my computer. I am not sure I'll replace it yet. It was cheap enough to just do later when I KNOW it's fixed.
Old 08-07-04, 12:02 PM

this sounds probally dumb but if you have a playstation 2 it might work,almost the same thing happened to me,plopped it in my playstation 2 and it worked fine,this has now happened to me 4 times with 4 different dvds,playstation 2 has worked,while my other dvd players didn`t come thru.
Old 09-24-04, 06:20 AM

I just purchased Vol. 3 this week and popped in Disk 2 to watch "A&C Meet the Invisible Man": the player spins for a while, then produces the error message, "DISK ERROR." It wouldn't play at all. I tried it a couple of times with same result. I am using two decent DVD players at home, a 1.5-year old Onkyo and a 2-month old Phillips. This A&C Vol. 3 DVD set is going back for a replacement, on par for Universal multi-episode releases.