Reload this Page >

Warner Bros: no more digipacks?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 08-25-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess along with the 2-disc editions of The Lost Boys and Goodfellas, this signaled the end of the 2-disc digipack series. It's a shame they were the nicest sets Warner put out, now we just get them in the usual old keepcases. Anyone know if Warner has plans to release any other dvds in digipacks?
Old 08-25-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll take a keepcase over a crappy piece of cardboard any day of the week. I hope they really have eliminated them forever for their 1-Disc & 2-Disc releases. With any luck they'll go Alpha for all their mult-disc releases too, then I'll have that many less disintegrating cases in my collection. The last thing we need is for the studios to go back to their VHS case mentality.
Old 08-25-04, 12:58 PM

I have to agree with joliom on this one. I like keep cases over anything. While I'm pretty anal about handling my DVDs, it seems that any paper-based packaging (digipak, snapper) gets worn just removing it from the shelf.

-AC
Old 08-25-04, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I too also prefer the keep cases over all other dvd cases. I'm not a big fan of the 2-disc digipack and absolutely hate the snapper.

I don't think Warner stoped using the 2-disc digipack. From pictures on the internet, it looks like the upcoming se of the Shawshank Redemption will be a digipack.
Old 08-25-04, 02:41 PM

Location: on the warhead of a Topol-M ready for a long journey
Totally agree. Digipacks are evil and must be annihilated
Old 08-25-04, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I like the digipacks They're so pretty!
Old 08-25-04, 03:36 PM
Suspended

Hooray!!
Old 08-25-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I like the digipacks They're so pretty
I agree with 2-disc releases, but I have to dissagre with larger sets... Like the Buffy series, I really like that they kept the digi-packs consant, but i would have rather had the show release like futurama.... and Alien Quad (a 9disc digi IS TOO MUCH)....

But the smallville/gilmore girl cases are pretty cool too.
Old 08-25-04, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The evidence presented (The Lost Boys and Goodfellas) hardly seems conclusive to me. In fact, Goodfellas in a digipak would have looked downright silly in the Scorsese box set with the other 4 in keep cases.

Are you jumping the gun a little here or do you have other evidence that you've not presented? Because I don't think you've even come close to presenting a convincing case at this point.
Old 08-25-04, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by MEJHarrison
The evidence presented (The Lost Boys and Goodfellas) hardly seems conclusive to me. In fact, Goodfellas in a digipak would have looked downright silly in the Scorsese box set with the other 4 in keep cases.

Are you jumping the gun a little here or do you have other evidence that you've not presented? Because I don't think you've even come close to presenting a convincing case at this point.
Well looking at Warner's record here it seems that they would release 2-disc sets of new movies in keepcases (Matrix Reloaded, Last Samurai) and they would release catalog titles in digipacks (Wyatt Earp, Singin In The Rain) Now Warner has released 2 catalog titles in keepcases. Granted, Goodfellas had to be released that way but The Lost Boys (again if we look at their past strategy of catalog titles in digipacks) was released in a keepcase. And just released today another 2-disc catalog title Purple Rain was released in a keepcase. Now, I'm hoping The Shawshank Redemption will be released in a digipack, from what I've seen it looks the 3-disc set will be in a digipack and the 2-disc one will be in a keepcase. The Warner of old would of released The Lost Boys and Purple Rain in digipacks. That is my case sir.
Old 08-25-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Always have and always been a keepcase fan. Just axe the snappers to make everyone happy
Old 08-25-04, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Pelayu
If only FOX would do this with their "collector's edition" line of digipacks. Those are the worst in terms of durability.
Old 08-25-04, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im just happy Freaks was in a keepcase (1-disc I know, but Warner)....I fully expected it to be in a snapper.
Old 08-25-04, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by joliom
I'll take a keepcase over a crappy piece of cardboard any day of the week.
x100
Old 08-25-04, 11:57 PM

i like digipacks. makes the dvd seem fancier. id even like at least a slipcover over the keepcase.
Old 08-26-04, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I prefer keepcases. They just hold up better. If they want to make it fancy, they can add a slipcover, but I'd really just as soon have just the keepcase.
Old 08-26-04, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Pelayu
A Room With a View 2-disc was the finest digipak I've ever seen WB release. The paper material is similar to the Master and Commander digipak.

Those I'd prefer over a keep case any day.
Old 08-26-04, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
I emailed Warner Bros., and told them I will no longer buy their movies if they do the crappy cardboard snappers.
Old 08-26-04, 07:00 AM

That would explain why Prisoner of Azkaban is going to be a keepcase when the first two Harry Potter releases were digipaks.
Old 08-26-04, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
I emailed Warner Bros., and told them I will no longer buy their movies if they do the crappy cardboard snappers.
Jeez, is THAT what it was? I wish you'd have told them earlier!
Old 08-26-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 179 Posts
I like digipaks. They remind me of fancy laserdisc packaging (just smaller).

I'm glad to see the end of snappers, though. Those suck. I've scanned and reprinted all of my snapper case artwork to convert them for keepcases.
Old 08-26-04, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now that we've all gotten our digipak digs in, can we get back on topic? Is there any real evidence that Warner's is doing away with them? Just my personal opinion, but I think the examples listed (The Lost Boys and Purple Rain) don't quite stand up to most of the other digipak releases I've seen from them. I'm not saying they're not doing away with them, I just don't believe it from the scant evidence so far.
Old 08-26-04, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Now that we've all gotten our digipak digs in, can we get back on topic? Is there any real evidence that Warner's is doing away with them? Just my personal opinion, but I think the examples listed (The Lost Boys and Purple Rain) don't quite stand up to most of the other digipak releases I've seen from them. I'm not saying they're not doing away with them, I just don't believe it from the scant evidence so far.
Until we get the next batch of releases or hear an official response, that's the only evidence we have. Personally, i think the examples we have are a pretty good indication that WB is leaning towards only keep cases.
Old 08-26-04, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I would think GoodFellas would stand up to most of the other digipacks that have been released, and its in a keepcase.
Old 08-26-04, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Keep the digi...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.