Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Dawn of the Dead: Ultimate Edition (Discussion)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Dawn of the Dead: Ultimate Edition (Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-04, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude! Gaylen Ross is hot! She probably aged the most gracefully
Old 09-09-04, 11:36 AM

Anyone have any errors in disc one? I watched it this morning and I know it skipped over one part
went from the crew locking up the doors to injecting Roger with medicine, skipping entirely over "the hunt".
and I even saw that scene rewinding, but it skipped over it a second time when I hit play.

And I think it skipped over something when
Roger first got bit.
I figured it was the layer transfer, so thought nothing of it until the second skip.

This happen to anyone else or just me?

Last edited by KTIK; 09-09-04 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-10-04, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Surprisingly little comment on such an eagerly awaited release. Seems like all of the hubbub was much to do about nothing.
Old 09-10-04, 07:02 PM

I still have to check out the docs. I always get a kick out of seeing what castmembers look like today. Gaylen, here I come, baby!

How is Document of the Dead?
Old 09-10-04, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Wannabe
Surprisingly little comment on such an eagerly awaited release. Seems like all of the hubbub was much to do about nothing.
It just came out. There's 4 disks in there. It's going to take awhile to go through it all.
Old 09-10-04, 07:42 PM

2 dvds down,
2 to go for me,
very nice so far, the new doc is superb and the Greg Nicatero (I think its his voice) tour of the Mall is really a load of fun
Old 09-11-04, 10:07 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Re: Dawn of the Dead: Ultimate Edition (Discussion)

Originally posted by Daniel L
I also noticed that Gaylen Ross' nipples are quite clear in this cut.
As a responsible member of the leering press, let me step in here and correct this gross inaccuracy. That's NIPPLE. Singular. But bless Dario just the same for upping Dawn's breast count to ... ONE!
Old 09-11-04, 10:19 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
It just came out. There's 4 disks in there. It's going to take awhile to go through it all.
Good answer! Good answer!
Old 09-11-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Wannabe
Only in the jilted world of unending internet flamewars about absolutely nothing can the lack of discussion of something be taken as a negative.

DJ
Old 09-11-04, 01:19 PM

I just bought it today! I'm in awe of how pretty the packaging is. I haven't watched any of it yet, though. But I will! Will I ever.
Old 09-11-04, 03:32 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Got mine in the mail yesterday. Can't wait to give it a spin!
Old 09-11-04, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got mine the other day, I'm gonna try to bust out the first disc this evening.......
Old 09-11-04, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
It's out of stock, but under $30 at DDD.
Old 09-11-04, 05:53 PM

That's NIPPLE. Singular. But bless Dario just the same for upping Dawn's breast count to ... ONE!
you could always see the nipple in all the other cuts I ever saw, on Vid and dvd. Its nothing new.
Old 09-11-04, 05:55 PM

you could always see the nipple in all the other cuts I ever saw, on Vid and dvd. Its nothing new.
Seriously, on the theatrical cut, it's darker. Much darker. There was a debate over this and the older versions when the first Divimax DVD came out.
Old 09-11-04, 05:56 PM

It's out of stock, but under $30 at DDD.
My Best Buy was almost out of them yesterday. It made me think about something.. I wonder how many unassuming people thought that this was the dvd for the remake?
Old 09-11-04, 07:19 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Originally posted by Daniel L
Seriously, on the theatrical cut, it's darker.
Yep. There's a clear difference between the Theatrical and Argento versions. The males on the cast commentary even make note of it, because they're SURPRISED to see more of their "Fly Girl."

See for yourself ...
http://dvdtalk.com/cineschlock/column/dawnegg.html

Last edited by G. Noel Gross; 09-11-04 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-11-04, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I like the extended cut best, followed by the Argento cut, and then the US theatrical version. I really love all versions of the movie though, and am grateful to actually have the Argento cut. I watched that first, because I have been wanting to see it for so long. I loved hearing the Goblin music in there. It was like Christmas really.

I really enjoyed The Dead Will Walk documentary. I can't believe all the folks they had back for that. I mean, the nurse zombie? I was thrilled. Also, Ken Foree surely hasn't changed much has he?

I will be watching the other features tonight. I love a set that keeps me busy.
Old 09-11-04, 10:48 PM

Also, Ken Foree surely hasn't changed much has he?
I noticed that. He must have found the fountain of youth or something.
Old 09-11-04, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
I want to touch upon something that I didn't mention on page 1 of this thread. Did Goblin compose these 2 scores?

-After the mall hunt concludes when the 4 survivors are looking at the bodies from the 2nd floor
-Music that plays (Most significantly in the Extended cut) after the dinner scene where time slowly and dreadfully passes by
Those compositions certainly didn't sound like "Library music" to me and I was certain that Goblin created the above scores, only to find out in the Argento cut that different pieces of music were used in those scenes. Any info?

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 09-11-04 at 11:51 PM.
Old 09-12-04, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I finally got my copy of this today at Best Buy. Definately can't wait to watch the extended and euro cuts.

Also a quick question to everyone, sorry if its a thread crap, but those who waited for this box set to come out, are you happy with it?
Old 09-12-04, 04:45 AM

but those who waited for this box set to come out, are you happy with it?
I don't know how you couldn't be. Great audio, video, and supplements.. Four discs for a single movie. I'm not sure there is anything else that could be put in this package.
Old 09-12-04, 05:39 AM

Anyone have any errors in disc one?
My wife watched disc 1 last night and told me that it skipped in three places. I haven't had a chance to check it out.
Old 09-12-04, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by Mondo Kane
I want to touch upon something that I didn't mention on page 1 of this thread. Did Goblin compose these 2 scores?

Those compositions certainly didn't sound like "Library music" to me and I was certain that Goblin created the above scores, only to find out in the Argento cut that different pieces of music were used in those scenes. Any info?
Those cues are indeed Goblin. I own the soundtrack which has the music that plays during the montage after the cleanup. None of the library music is on the soundtrack but there's quite a bit of Goblin's score that's missing from the theatrical cut.
I'm a big fan who impatiently anticipated this release. The only nitpicky gripe I can come up with is that the theatrical version variant that I saw twice in 1980 midnight shows (that is known now as the "20th Anniversary Edition" DVD) was not included instead of the DTS disc that fans already bought earlier this year. Also, I wish the entertaining cast commentary would have been on the longer Cannes cut so we would have more of them. I would've relegated Richie-Rich Rubinstein to the shortest version. But he's one of the top personalities involved in getting this released, so someone like him will naturally pick the print that would aggrandize himself the most. But overall, this is a wonderful presentation that will undoubtedly get lots of replay in my HT.
The "film-school-in-a-box" value of this release is striking. The wealth of behind-the-scenes footage, especially with DOCUMENT OF THE DEAD being included, and the chance to compare three different cuts of the same film provide ample material for those that care enough to regard the minutia of what movies are made with. Just listen the the raw audio that was used in the European cut. For someone too familiar with the Romero cuts, it's almost like watching some kind of remake of a favorite movie because the actor's dialog on set was inflected differently than in the ADR booth.
Old 09-12-04, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm more than pleased with it. You get a lot for your money, and I love the plain black packaging and creepy as hell animated menus.

At first I didn't really see the need to buy three different versions of the same film, but I like the way they handled it, with special features and commentaries spread across three disks. I'll eventually have to watch them all. It's also nice that we can get all the versions in one package, rather than dealing with a half dozen different releases *cough*ArmyofDarkness*cough*

The 4th documentary disk alone is almost worth the $34.

Last edited by Panda Phil; 09-14-04 at 09:52 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.