DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 10-03-04, 04:52 PM   #26
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Check the cover section for my latest: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=388823
Old 10-03-04, 08:00 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally posted by philo
Has anyone been able to confirm the rumor about the altered score or at least post a link to the source of that information above?
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=212858
Old 10-03-04, 08:02 PM   #28
DVD Talk Special Edition

hold on me'bucko

Quote:
Originally posted by RickB
YES!!!!!!!! Then at least they left in that song. THANK YOU. So the entire film wasn't totally rescored at least. As long as that song is there I'm cool.
I hope so too. Since I haven't seen/heard this DVD, I dunno. All's I am asking is, DOES THE FREAKIN' DVD HAVE THIS SONG ON IT! (since the version I saw long ago on TV did, I was wonderin'...)
Old 10-03-04, 08:58 PM   #29

Re: hold on me'bucko

Quote:
Originally posted by JANK
I hope so too. Since I haven't seen/heard this DVD, I dunno. All's I am asking is, DOES THE FREAKIN' DVD HAVE THIS SONG ON IT! (since the version I saw long ago on TV did, I was wonderin'...)
I'm not sure I understand your question. I confirmed earlier that the song by Syreeta is over the end credits. As for the rest of the film, once again, it was my first time seeing it, but it certainly sounded like an early 80s slasher film score. There are no new credits on the film or DVD to indicate new music.

This is my favorite quote from the HTF forum thread: "The reviewer at DVDTalk confirmed that the end song (over the end credits) is still there. It's not clear if the guy making this claim has the disc or just heard from someone. " Um, didn't I say earlier in this thread that I have the disc?
Old 10-03-04, 09:36 PM   #30
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for clarifying that. Any word on if the soundtrack will be released separately?
Old 10-03-04, 09:57 PM   #31
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by Disc-Flipper
Check the cover section for my latest: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=388823

Just printed it out and it looks GREAT! MAny thanks DF
Old 10-04-04, 08:35 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally posted by prince_of_saturn
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=212858
That HTF thread mentions DVDTalk as the source. Are they talking about the new member post in this thread? I couldn't find anything on the main page. If thats the source they're talking about, they should have said it was info posted in the DVDTalk forums.

Maybe Jeff McKay can tell us if thats something he read elsewhere or discovered for himself while watching the DVD.

I'd like to see a more authoritative review of this before grabbing the pitchforks and torches to storm Sony/Columbia, though the pricetag and coverart might be worth a few rock throws.
Old 10-04-04, 08:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally posted by philo
That HTF thread mentions DVDTalk as the source. Are they talking about the new member post in this thread? I couldn't find anything on the main page.
In my opinion, it's quite clear that they're referring to the post in this thread, and like everyone else, I haven't seen that info anywhere else on the web. I'm trying to track down a VHS copy of the movie in order to compare the music.
Old 10-11-04, 07:08 PM   #34

The rumors are true.

My review for DVDDrive-In.com is forthcoming.

EDIT: Reserving my opinion until I find more info.

Columbia/Tri-Star - Cover art? You mean the pictures on the box?

Last edited by Wes Ray; 10-12-04 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-11-04, 08:37 PM   #35
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll still buy it -- because I love the movie. But it's a sad thing they changed the sad lonely piano music of the original. Hopefully the same amount of suspense is retained with the new score. I don't think refusing to buy it will change Columbia Tristar's mind about releasing another version.
Old 10-11-04, 09:47 PM   #36

Okay, here's an example...

The original low-key, piano and strings piece during the opening credits has been replaced.

In its place: a fast-paced disco song.

Old 10-11-04, 10:51 PM   #37
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If this wasn't an all-time favorite of mine I'd probably pass on it, but it is, so I'm still be buying it.
Old 10-12-04, 12:41 AM   #38

The more I examine the disc, the more I'm convinced that what has happened here is that Columbia has taken a pre-release print of this film with a temp or alternate track and used it for the DVD.

I have e-mailed Columbia for their side of the story, but this is my theory.

The music fits too closely with the action in some parts. Also, editing in music takes time AND a good deal of money. There's no reason for Columbia to have gone to this trouble. "Rights issues" doesn't seem right either, considering the film's original composers are still credited on the disc. One of which, wrote the end title song. So, if there were rights issues with any of it, I would think they'd have replaced all the music and not left the end song intact.

If my suspicions are correct, this was clearly an accident, and I'm not even sure if Columbia is aware of the foul-up. Hopefully my e-mail to them will lead to some answers.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Old 10-12-04, 03:20 AM   #39

Dang. First I hear they changed Living Dead Pt 2, now this.

Thanks for clearing that up Wes. I agree it sounds kind of strange to be intentional. Song rights I've heard of but the film's score too? Hopefully it was mistake they'll straighten out.
Old 10-12-04, 08:44 AM   #40
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kind of a bummer
Old 10-12-04, 09:54 AM   #41

Oh...my...God...
Thanks, Wes for the heads up. I think major emailing campaign is in order. Seriously - this must be changed. I'm not wasting one cent on this terrific film until they offer it in the correct way. Maybe they'll even include the trailer FOR THIS FILM on a corrected DVD, who knows?
Let's get word out - since a studio like this seems to need a huge push before they correct a title they may think fans won't fight for.
Old 10-12-04, 10:24 AM   #42
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Wes Ray
The more I examine the disc, the more I'm convinced that what has happened here is that Columbia has taken a pre-release print of this film with a temp or alternate track and used it for the DVD.
Aren't temp scores usually derived from music from another film? If so, then they'll likely run into bigger rights issues from THAT.

I was on the fence about buying this one just because of the high price point. But with an alternate score and no movie-related extras, this is going on the Netflix queue instead.
Old 10-12-04, 12:21 PM   #43

One would think.

And yes, temp scores usually come from other films. To be honest, a lot of parts in this new score sound like the score to some sort of early 70's giallo. Some bits sound like the original composers' work. Some don't.

I just really don't know what could've happened here. Rights issues, again, is the most likely and logical conclusion. However, the end title song is still on the disc, and it's by one of the composers. So, if there were rights issues with the rest of their score, wouldn't this song have been taken off of the disc as well?

Also, there are actual songs added...songs, with lyrics...not just generic instrumental music (though there IS plenty of that as well). The added songs are NOT mentioned in the closing credits, nor anywhere on the DVD packaging. One would think that the artists involved with these songs would be able to sue if word got around to them that their music was being used without their permission. It seems to me a risk Columbia wouldn't knowingly want to take.

So while "music rights" is the most likely of scenarios, I can't help but feel this particular incident stems simply from an un-intentional screw-up (of some sort) on the studio's behalf.

Last edited by Wes Ray; 10-12-04 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-19-04, 11:37 AM   #44

I just read the dvdtalk review of the Happy Birthday To Me DVD and I am severly dissapointed and angry upon learning that the score has been changed! The DVD is worthless as far as I'm concerned and I won't be picking up a copy of it. How frustrating...

Has there been any update on why Sony changed the soundtrack and if there are any thoughts on their end about re-releasing this (or recalling this version)? "Birthday" may be no masterpiece but to true fans, this is upsetting. For horror film lovers, music score is EXTREMLEY important to the genre (i.e. Halloween, Psycho, Friday The 13th, Carrie, Jaws, The Omen). My question to Sony execs: How would YOU feel if one of your favorite films (regardless of how mainstream it is) was rescored?

Pissed off, indeed. I can live with crappy key art and no extras (although I still can't understand why there was no inclusion of a Theatrical Trailer) but this is just too much.
Old 10-19-04, 04:02 PM   #45

This was the first horror movie I ever saw in the theater. I remember the night my older brother took me to see this like it was yesterday.
A terrific flick. It is quite disappointing however that some beeeyatches at the studio didn't know what they were doing when they put this together.
I will await further customer feedback before buying it.
I also think $19.95 is a bit steep for this. $9.95...OK. But $19.95???????
Old 10-19-04, 07:18 PM   #46

My review at DVDDrive-In should be up tonight sometime.

Columbia never got back in touch with me regarding the changes, so all we have to go on are theories. I still contend it's probably the wrong print.

Old 10-19-04, 09:07 PM   #47
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does the music sound old or new ?
Old 10-19-04, 10:05 PM   #48
Banned

Re: Re: hold on me'bucko

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Long

This is my favorite quote from the HTF forum thread: "The reviewer at DVDTalk confirmed that the end song (over the end credits) is still there. It's not clear if the guy making this claim has the disc or just heard from someone. " Um, didn't I say earlier in this thread that I have the disc?
That post was saying it wasn't clear if that new member here had the disc or had simply heard it from someone. You confirmed it was there so the doubt was on the member here claiming things had been changed.
Old 10-20-04, 01:26 AM   #49

My full review is finally up.

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/e...hdaytome81.htm

To answer your question, Disc...the music is old. Disco and such. Though, some pieces sound even earlier than late 70's/early 80's.

Old 10-20-04, 11:28 AM   #50

Hey Wes,

Your review of HBTM is great! (It shows you're a true fan). But I can't get past the whole scrore changing (especially in the beginning over the credits--as you said, the whole tone is set there.)

I want to be optimistic and hope that Sony will correct this problem. But I feel they need to hear it from us--the fans and consumers. Do you have an email address for Sony that we send our thoughts to?