Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Bad news for G.I. Joe fans (or, maybe not)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Bad news for G.I. Joe fans (or, maybe not)

Old 08-23-04, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Bad news for G.I. Joe fans

This link was posted at YoJoe.com
(http://p080.ezboard.com/fgettingsava...picID=24.topic)

Season 2 consisted of 30 episodes which ran starting in 1986. This box set, as mentioned above, contains half the season. Previous releases of Season 1 Part 1 and Season 1 Part 2 have contained near 30 episodes each box set and have retailed for $59.99. The per episode cost for Season 2 Part 1 is roughly then double of what it was for parts 1 and 2 of Season 1. Another disturbing trend is that there is no mention of part 2 coming from Rhino on the packaging for Season 2 Part 1.

It was report over a month ago that Rhino was scaling back their release calendar for Sunbow and Hasbro licensed properties, with part 2 of Season 2 being “not a high priority” for release. Many believe that Rhino, a part of AOL / Time-Warner, is retaliating for Hasbro granting Paramount Home Entertainment a global license for their entertainment properties, including the Sunbow libraries when Rhino’s license expiries early next year. Hasbro representatives at the GI Joe Collectors Convention stated that fans would “eventually” get the second half of part 2, but no time frame was given.

Fans wishing to contact Rhino about the possibility of Season 2 Part 2 are encouraged to write or call to one of the following contacts:

Email:
[email protected]

Rhino Customer Service:
1-800-546-3670

Post Office:
Rhino New Media
Attn: Mac Dunlop (or) Attn: Sunbow License
3400 West Olive Ave. 5th Floor
Burbank, California 91505
I think that this sucks. I knew something was fishy when Rhino wouldn't release the entire 30 episodes in one set.
Old 08-23-04, 11:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad I never purchase part one. Waiting game now. Totally sucks
Old 08-23-04, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Its one thing to be pissed at Hasbro, but why must they always take it out on the fans that buy this stuff.

I've only got Season 1 part 1 so far, but this is definitely a series I want to complete. Very sad if Rhino doesn't finish it out.
Old 08-24-04, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh well, one less tv on dvd set for me to buy. Talk about cutting off their nose to spite there face.

Think ill wait till its resolved before buying any of the seasons.
Old 08-24-04, 02:14 AM
Suspended

Well, doesn't that just suck? Oh well - I'm a "glass half full" kind of guy. While it would have been great to get the whole series, 3/4th of the series will suit me just fine. If Rhino never releases the remainder, it'll be sad - but I've got enough 80's toons to keep me going for a while now.
Old 08-24-04, 02:38 AM
Cool New Member

Good thing I didn't buy part 1...I'll play the waiting game from now on for this series.
Old 08-24-04, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just sent Rhino Customer Service an email. I doubt it will help, but it was worth a shot. Here is a copy of my email in case anyone else wants a form letter to send:

RE: G.I. Joe Season 2 Part 2

To whom it may concern,

I am disappointed to learn that you consider G.I. Joe Season 2 Part 2 being “not a high priority” for release. I have purchased all of the previous box sets and I would feel cheated if you did not complete the series.

Furthermore, I am displeased with your pricing of Season 2 Part 1. Previous releases of Season 1 Part 1 and Season 1 Part 2 have contained nearly 30 episodes and each box set has retailed for $59.99. The per episode cost for Season 2 Part 1 is roughly then double of what it was for parts 1 and 2 of Season 1.

Please release G.I. Joe Season 2 Part 2 in a timely manner. There is no reason to punish the fans of this series who have purchased previous releases.

Sincerely,
Old 08-24-04, 09:45 AM
Banned

A direct phone number to Mack Dunlop is as follows:

1-800-546-3670

Whoops, that's the same number as above for customer service. But still, that'll getcha Mack's voicemail.
Old 08-24-04, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally posted by Dazed

Think ill wait till its resolved before buying any of the seasons.
Same here.
Old 08-24-04, 11:23 AM
Suspended

What is it with companies charging more and more for later seasons with less content?

I like the Joe but I'm going to wait on the sidelines as well.
Old 08-26-04, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I got this reply from Rhino today:

Rhino Home Video is pleased that the release of G.I. Joe Season Two Part One has happened in the fourth quarter of 2004. Originally, this release was meant to be the entire second season, but due to production deadlines we were unable to secure enough bonus materials.

So, for our last deluxe boxed set of the series, Season Two Part Two, we want to do something extra special - as a thank you to the loyal fans who loved "G.I. Joe" and "Transformers" as children and have been so supportive of our efforts on DVD.

Details will be announced soon.

Rhino Home Video is no longer a part of AOL Time Warner, and our relationship with Hasbro remains as strong as ever. We wish them the best in their joint venture with Paramount in the children's DVD realm, while we continue with what we have always done best - packaging nostalgia and giving our customers the opportunity to relive an important part of their life, through music or filmed entertainment.

Sincerely,

Rhino Home Video
Old 08-26-04, 02:26 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Sounds good.

I emailed them a while back asking if it was possible if they could include the commercials that Sunbow animated for the comics and toys, but never got a response.

Hopefully those are the bonus materials they couldn't secure.
Old 08-26-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by fryinpan1
I got this reply from Rhino today:

Rhino Home Video is pleased that the release of G.I. Joe Season Two Part One has happened in the fourth quarter of 2004. Originally, this release was meant to be the entire second season, but due to production deadlines we were unable to secure enough bonus materials.

So, for our last deluxe boxed set of the series, Season Two Part Two, we want to do something extra special - as a thank you to the loyal fans who loved "G.I. Joe" and "Transformers" as children and have been so supportive of our efforts on DVD.

Details will be announced soon.

Rhino Home Video is no longer a part of AOL Time Warner, and our relationship with Hasbro remains as strong as ever. We wish them the best in their joint venture with Paramount in the children's DVD realm, while we continue with what we have always done best - packaging nostalgia and giving our customers the opportunity to relive an important part of their life, through music or filmed entertainment.

Sincerely,

Rhino Home Video
Damn them!!!

Oh wait, that's good, isn't it?

Maybe a thread title change is in order?
Old 08-26-04, 06:50 PM
Banned

I used to love this show, but haven't seen it in ages. How has the animation aged? It seems like I saw a clip of a show on the internet a while back and it looked real cheesey.

But at the current time, I can't afford to buy these or the Transformer sets. I need to finish up the series I currently got going before I start on some new ones.
Old 08-26-04, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
I used to love this show, but haven't seen it in ages. How has the animation aged? It seems like I saw a clip of a show on the internet a while back and it looked real cheesey.

Was the clip one of these?

GI Joe
Old 08-27-04, 03:40 PM

I'm waiting on the Valor vs Venom movie coming out in Sept.

http://www.hasbro.com/gijoe/experien...dn/default.cfm