Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Clownhouse dvd?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-04, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clownhouse dvd?

I just found this dvd after looking for it for ages and just wanted to know did it get re-released? The reson i ask is becasue on the back of the dvd it talks about jeepers creepers 2. Thanks joe
Old 08-20-04, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Imagine what they could include as an easter egg on this....
Old 08-20-04, 07:41 PM
Suspended

sick sick sick

i can't believe this guy is even out of jail. let alone people watching his films..

but a very funny post.nonetheless
Old 08-20-04, 08:07 PM

I remember the movie being a geniunely creepy, and well-directed horror movie.
Old 08-20-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i like the movie. it was supposed to be re-released this tuesday, which it no longer is but maybe more copies are sneaking out now. the sound is just a tad out of synch on those old copies though.
Old 08-20-04, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I picked up a copy last week and got it yesterday. I don't know if it's the original release or a new one(are there any?) since I haven't checked it out yet. if the sound is a tad off I won't mind too much since this disc may never get released officially. and if it does I'm only out 20.00.
Old 08-20-04, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Alan Smithee

Jeepers Creepers was a pretty good movie though.

I heard some okay things about clownhouse. Might have to rent it.
Old 08-20-04, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

mgm lost the rights to this dvd and will not be releasing it anymore. so whatever copies are floating out there are worth picking up
Old 08-21-04, 12:50 AM

Im interested in picking this up on Ebay but I do not want to get a bootleg. Most sellers are selling it for around $20. Has the price really dropped that low? Has anyone seen bootlegs of it? I dont want to get ripped off.
Old 08-21-04, 06:29 AM

I picked it up for 20 bucks but here is a online store that has it.

http://a spammer's site.com/
Old 08-21-04, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by Sunday Morning
mgm lost the rights to this dvd and will not be releasing it anymore. so whatever copies are floating out there are worth picking up
Interesting. So is this why they pulled it from last year's Halloween line-up? A rights issue? I always assumed it was because of the Salva controversy or something else.

And if MGM has lost the rights, why delay the release a year and then now release what back-stock they must have had left? And it's still not available at the major on-line retailers, but only at some of the smaller ones as if MGM is trying to sell off what they have left without anyone noticing. If they lost the rights, how are they releasing it now?

Just curious if you have any further info on this situation. Not really interested in the DVD itself (I sold off the one I had 7-8 months ago on ebay since I don't really care for the film). But I am curious what was going on behind-the-scenes with this title and why it was pulled and then now unceremoniously half-released. And the copies that are out there now - are they future collector's items?
Old 08-21-04, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

does it tie in with salva or is it about losing the rights or is it about the audio synch issue?

sounds like were back to all speculation.
Old 08-21-04, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Sunday Morning
I'm confused by this as well ... do you mean that the MGM disc which was scheduled is being recalled (or, since it isn't out yet, the release is being cancelled)? I saw a bunch in a store today, so if it's cancelled, I'd buy it up sooner rather than later, but I want to be sure I understand you correctly.

Thanks
Old 08-21-04, 09:07 PM
Suspended

wait, so this got delayed again?

I have a friend who's been waiting months for it.

I don't really care to own, with the circumstances surrounding it, and believe Salva incorporates a lot of disturbing images, and dialogue into his films ( given his past, crossing the line at times)

but i think the film was very good, and should be released ..

so it's officiallyhard to find again?

what store did you see them at, i'll pick one up for anyone who wants it, if i can find it.
Old 08-21-04, 09:13 PM

It looks like I'm the only person, so far, who can cite a credible source for their information. I'm not a believer of the "My friend said this and my friend said that" crap unless you're frequently telling us what your friend said and it turns out to be right. Since some people are starting to delete their posts in this thread, I'll do that and confine my remarks to this post. Sunday Morning first said MGM lost the rights to Clownhouse, they're up for grabs by anyone and he got this info because he's "close to the business". I mention that the www.copyright.gov website shows MGM still has the rights and has since July 28, 2000, when they acquired the rights to 4,775 titles. Sunday then changes the story to say MGM simply decided not to release the DVD (the VHS apparently wasn't a problem). Sunday also has at least one Clownhouse DVD he's trying to unload. And this is the first time ever that Sunday Morning has claimed to have contacts in "the business".

ThatGuamGuy is the first to use the word "recall". He may explain how he got "recall" from "MGM lost the rights". GuamGuy isn't saying there is a recall; he just uses that word in each of his posts in this thread.

CrumpsBrothers says his friend at MGM told him they lost the rights months ago. For some reason he didn't tell us until now. Maybe his friend waited until now before mentioning it. But there's no release of rights at the copyright office. MGM has announced in the past when they were canceling a DVD release. Why not this time?

The only thing official on the Internet about who is the current rights holder to Clownhouse is found at the U.S. Copyright Office website. It says MGM is the one. Give me a bulletin or press release from MGM to counter that if you say the release has been canceled. I'll even go for a website that has previously cited vague, anonymous insider sources that turned out to be accurate. You need some credibility in that area if you want to say your friend at MGM told you something. Since the release date for Clownhouse was scheduled for 08-24-04, I'll open another can of worms for a title that was/is supposed to be released on the same day; Swamp Thing. Let us now begin another thread devoted to Swamp Thing rumor and gossip. No facts, please.

Last edited by Frozen; 08-23-04 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-21-04, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Frozen,

When I heard mgm was no longer going to be distributing clownhouse I picked up 3 copies. I am trading one of them. There is no mystery there.

Here's what I know:

Mgm cancelled the dvd release. They will no longer put it out.
The dvd is not being released on tuesday august 24th.
It will not be released by mgm.
So if anyone else wants to pick up the rights, it will be theirs to do what they wish with it.

"Lost the rights" is a general term. Like saying someone "Lost their lease". Sometimes it means financially, or simply because they backed away or dropped the deal. You could probably figure out why for this particular release.

How do I know that mgm will no longer be releasing the dvd? Heard it from them. It's not some big secret that anyone's hiding. You just need to be closer to the business to be in the know.
Old 08-22-04, 01:09 AM

I just bought one from this auction. I can only hope it is a real one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...317507269&rd=1
Old 08-22-04, 05:50 AM

what retailers might have it?
Old 08-22-04, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

frozen... you are too funny!

I only mentioned what mgm said because you asked me to.

I deleted that thread to start a fresh one. Like I usually do after a couple of days. Like others on the exchange board do.

Why would mgm no longer distrubute this film? Maybe it's because they could do whatever they want. It's their call. It's their money. It's their right to walk away from potential controversy, etc.

Let me ask you this, do you even care for the film? I sure do hope so if you're focusing your attention so keenly (and somwhat inaccurately might I add) on words from a message board.
I can understand why It might be misconstrued as the way it has, but to make accusastions. Too much.
Old 08-22-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Frozen
Why would MGM manufacture a DVD, ship some of them out, suddenly realize they don't have the rights anymore and then not ship the rest of the product? It doesn't make any sense. I don't have any non-existant contacts in the business to get my information. I use www.copyright.gov
Obviously you were not around for the Ed Wood release. Studios can do this. They have the right to recall things or completely take a title "off of the board" for a release.
Old 08-22-04, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Frozen, ever hear the expression "Making a mountain out of a molehill?" Take that energy young man and go to washington. Stir things up!

Gee wiz, Pa. That's what I get for trying to give people a heads up about a dvd.
Old 08-22-04, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry, Frozen. Sunday Morning is correct. I have friends who work for MGM and they've confirmed that the studio lost its rights to CLOWNHOUSE (a release I was looking forward to) earlier this year. Unfortunately, my friends don't know why the DVD was pulled from the shelves last year, but they have confirmed that the scheduled release for this year was cancelled months ago.

So, any copies of this DVD that hit the shelf this Tuesday are ones that should have been returned to the studio and weren't.

Sunday, let me also congratulate you on the even-tempered handling of criticism. Keep the "heads up" coming when you have them!
Old 08-22-04, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah, thanks Sunday Morning for the tip. I want this because I collect Sam Rockwell movies, so now I know to go get it off ebay while I can. I found a seller with very good feedback who seems not to sell boots, so I am going to get it from him.
Old 08-23-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by lcnickell
what store did you see them at, i'll pick one up for anyone who wants it, if i can find it.
I saw it in Manhattan ... I don't think we're supposed to cite stores which break street dates (my understanding is, there are studio people who come on here to check sometimes), but, I think, suffice it to say that if you live in Manhattan, and you know which stores break street dates, you should be able to find it.

I was thinking of picking one up, strictly as a short-term investment (because I know, as somebody said, that recall = illusion of rarity), but this argument has gotten too boring. I don't care enough about the movie to wait until it's settled. I get the feeling that even if almost every store didn't have it tomorrow, Frozen would deny that it was proof of a recall and say they didn't have it because the title was too obscure. And he may even be right, I can't tell, which is why I'm bored of the argument.

Has anybody just E-mailed MGM and *asked* them, or would that be too direct?
Old 08-23-04, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amazon is also listing 23 copies at pretty reasonable prices

ebay and half.com also have copies -- but it looks as though some are aware that it's currently OOP.... "yes, I'll take one "Clownhouse" for $350.00 -- oh! and throw in a copy of Salo too!"

Last edited by SMB-IL; 08-23-04 at 11:18 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.