Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Mary Poppins: 40th Anniversary SE --> Dec. 14!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-04, 12:20 AM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Disney will release a two-disc special edition of "Mary Poppins" on December 14th.

Specs include sing-alongs, commentary by the cast and composer Richard Sherman, a trivia pop-up track, the new animated short "The Cat That Looked At A King", a deleted song, featurettes on the music, a trivia game, footage from the world premiere and more....stay tuned~
Old 08-09-04, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My girl loves this movie....so that's one xmas gift out of the way. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 08-09-04, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I heard this was on the way .... nice to see it confirmed with an actual release date and some specs. Thanks!
Old 08-09-04, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Yes, it's nice to have a date.
Old 08-09-04, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good to hear... I held off on the original release in hopes of a SE.
Old 08-09-04, 04:01 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great news!
Old 08-09-04, 04:19 PM

I am looking forward to this release! I have also held off on the two previous releases, and I am glad I have! I hope I won't be dissapointed.

Andy
Old 08-09-04, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm all over it. Thanks for the great news.
Old 08-09-04, 05:29 PM

The artwork is here if you're interested...
Old 08-10-04, 01:57 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A slipcover with openable cover page. Nice.
Old 08-10-04, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That cover art is way better than I was expecting. I've held off the previous editions waiting for this version... looking forward to it!

MATT
Old 08-10-04, 10:36 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I have no faith that this title will have a DTS audio option.
Old 08-10-04, 01:13 PM
Banned

Thanks for the info. I'll be interested in seeing how the transfer turns out. Hopefully, the color will really pop.
Old 08-10-04, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Sigh...a delightful triple dip for me...
Old 08-10-04, 03:53 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Giles
I have no faith that this title will have a DTS audio option.
Disney doesn't seem to put DTS on titles that will sell well (like their Platinum editions, Finding Nemo, ...). However, they put DTS on a lot of their direct-to-video titles that may not sell as well, such as Lion King 1 1/2, Cinderella 2, Stitch the Movie. One must wonder why
Old 08-10-04, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by eau
Disney doesn't seem to put DTS on titles that will sell well (like their Platinum editions, Finding Nemo, ...). However, they put DTS on a lot of their direct-to-video titles that may not sell as well, such as Lion King 1 1/2, Cinderella 2, Stitch the Movie. One must wonder why
and yet you have to go to other regions to find the Disney A-tier titles with DTS, it just doesn't make any sense. I would love to hear an explanation as to why Disney does this.
Old 08-10-04, 04:08 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by eau
Because those are all recent direct-to-video titles and it's a simple matter of planning for a DTS track while they're in production and not have to worry about the cost or logistics of implementing it in a theater. Plus, it's one more thing they can throw in to try and pitch an obviously inferior product.
Old 08-10-04, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by BeckysBoy
Because those are all recent direct-to-video titles and it's a simple matter of planning for a DTS track while they're in production and not have to worry about the cost or logistics of implementing it in a theater. Plus, it's one more thing they can throw in to try and pitch an obviously inferior product.
I'm sorry but that has got to be one of the most bogus explanations I have ever read. I don't believe that for a sec. It's hard to believe that Disney subsiduary Miramax can throw a DTS track on DVD's like 'Cold Mountain' 'Chicago' 'The English Patient' and yet Disney can't oblige and add a DTS track on it's animated A-Title feaures, yet Disney DVD's from Asia, the UK, France to name a few can and most likely does manage to squeeze a DTS track (granted for a few titles they discarded the full frame version of the film and retained the widescreen version to make room).

Come on ?!?
Old 08-10-04, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Yes, it's odd that it's left off their BIG titles.

But, at least, they put a dts track on their CE's of Emperor's New Groove, Dinosaur and Atlantis.
Old 08-10-04, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it has probably more to do with the fact that for most people, they could care less about dts. They want more games for the kids and other stuff, and dont really care about better sound quality. As long as the kids are happy with hours of extras and there is some kind of surround sound, most people will be content. I think people who really want dts as an extra are too few for it to make much of a difference. Anyways, Im excited about this and will mark my 7th Disney movie this year.
Old 08-10-04, 08:29 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by TomOpus
Yes, it's odd that it's left off their BIG titles.

But, at least, they put a dts track on their CE's of Emperor's New Groove, Dinosaur and Atlantis.
Those are more expensive CE's and without DTS, I doubt the same number of copies would have sold.
Old 08-12-04, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

More info on the specs, from DVDAnswers:
The film itself will be presented in 1.66:1 along with a brand new Disney Enhanced 5.1 mix, a Dolby Digital 2.0 Original Theatrical Mix and a Dolby Digital 2.0 Enhanced Mix. Extras on disc one will include an audio commentary with actors Julie Andrews, Dick Van Dyke, Karen Dotrice and composer Richard Sherman, a feature that enables you to jump to a song of your choice and finally some Poppins Pop-Up fun facts that display during the movie. Extras on the second disc will include all-new animated short entitled The Cat That Looked At A King which based on one of the chapters from the original series of Mary Poppins books, a deleted song “Chimpanzoo” which is reconstructed using the original storyboard and concept artwork and accompanied by a new rendition of the song performed by co-composer Richard Sherman and a Magical Musical Reunion featurette that reunites Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke with co-composer Richard Sherman as they gather around a piano and reminisce. Next up will a fifty-minute making of documentary, a Musical Journey with Richard Sherman featurette in which the composer looks at some of the film’s locations, two Scene Deconstructions, a special effects featurettte, a Gala World Premiere feature and a Dick Van Dyke make-up test. Completing the package will be a wealth of publicity trailers including the original and re-issue ones, some still galleries and an interactive game in which you can test your Mary Poppins knowledge.
Old 08-12-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by RobCA
More info on the specs...
Darn good feature list. Guess I'm d-dipping after all...

I went to this picture on opening night in 1964, by the way.

I was six, and the big Honolulu theater we saw it in had searchlights, a red carpet, and huge publicity posters lining the front courtyard. I was amazed...
Old 08-13-04, 03:45 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame