Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The long awaited Kill Bill Vol. 2 day, so

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-04, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my copy today at FYE. It was a pre-order so I got a $10 mail in rebate and a free Sonny Chiba Street Fighter/Return of the Street Fighter DVD.

Would anyone be able to get me an extra box from Best Buy?
Old 08-10-04, 12:39 PM

My best buy had about a 1000 boxes sitting out. Most were unassembled (laying flat).

I am ticked that the $5 off coupon that someone posted about on this forum that's supposed to be for buying KB1&2 at the same time wasn't anywhere to be found (at best buy at least). I held off on getting KB1 so I could see both at the same time, and I was (mistakenly) sure that there would be a deal for both on release day.

Despite that I've now got both and am now awaiting sometime in the future where I'll have time to sit and watch both.
Old 08-10-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had Kill Bill v2 since Friday.. $13 flat.

I feel the deleted scene was best left deleted.. but fun to watch outside of the movie.
Old 08-10-04, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Regurgitator
Nope! Won't be buying single or 2-disc versions of movies anymore.

I'll wait for the inevitable 3-disc or director's cut edition of any movie.

Anybody who buy this movie now is a fool! If you can't wait for the ultimate version to come out and must have this.. you should just rent it for now and wait for the better edition when it comes out.

Well considering that the ULTIMATE EDITION is even anounced yet other then he say/she say. You have some time to wait for it to come out. Not to mention that it will be out in a limited theater release first so that's another 6 months or so of wait time. Add in that it will be a new edit of the film. Those "FOOLS" enjjoyed the film. Is it so bad if they actually buy something they enjoy? Who knows if they will like the re-edit as much as they do these? for that matter atleast they get to watch it now for the price of a few rentals. Not so bad if you ask me.
Old 08-10-04, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Who knows if they will like the re-edit as much as they do these?
This is something all the "I'm waiting for the 'better' version" people seem to be missing completely.
Old 08-10-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Regurgitator
Anybody who buy this movie now is a fool! If you can't wait for the ultimate version to come out and must have this.. you should just rent it for now and wait for the better edition when it comes out.
I got the first DVD at FYE for $20, which came with a $10 mail in rebate and a poster. I sold the poster on eBay for $35. I got Vol. 2 today at Best Buy for $16. It came with a free slipcase.

By my calculations, I've made about $9 by buying these films... I have them to rewatch whenever I please. And I have a neat slipcased set to put on eBay when the inevitable UberEdition comes out. (6 months? 12? Who knows... it took about 7 years for the promised Goodfellas SE to materialize.)

With some titles, your 'rent only' system may make sense. But for some titles (like these -- with MAJOR discounts at most stores, and lots of giveaway freebies)... well, as you can see above, I don't feel particularly foolish buying these now instead of playing the waiting game.
Old 08-10-04, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked this movie so much, I couldnt wait for the inevietable (but when is it actually being released?) box set, have watched the first 6 or 7 times already, loved part 2 in the theatre... when the SE is announced, I will sell of the set... but will have the extra bonus of having the slipcase with it, and will probably sell it for close to what I paid for the 2 movies together
Old 08-10-04, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by John-In-VA
Box is kinda cool, but they charged me a penny for it even though I purchased Vol 2. Wasn't about to argue with the cashier chick about it.
I also got the sleeve by itself for a penny. I was seriously flip-flopping over whether to spend the $8 (I got the DVD last week), since the box was pretty crappy IMO once I saw it in person. In the end I figured I'm probably gonna get everything KB related anyway, so I might as well get it. Picked a recently restocked sleeve off the front door table (it seemed as if EVERYONE had a copy of KB2 in their hands) and grabbed a candy bar on the way to the register. She scanned the candy and the sleeve and said "$.87". Like John, I didn't argue. Gave her my buck and left a happy camper.
Old 08-10-04, 01:48 PM

Just got back from Best Buy in Culver City, CA and they had a crap load of the boxes.
Old 08-10-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 08-10-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
The front of the slipcase looks similar to the R3 HK slipcase.
Old 08-10-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amazon.jp , japan, has got a way better version. Wonder why he did a special for them but not for the u.s.

and look what extras they get:

【BOX同梱グッズ】
●オキナワTシャツ
●名刀ハットリ・ハンゾウ(1/10スケールモデル)
●ベアブリック(“MURDER BRIDE VERSION”)
●24Pオールカラーブックレット

【特典映像】
●製作メイキング
●青葉屋舞台誉
●インタビュー集

lucky bastards!
They also get better cover art, imo.

Old 08-10-04, 02:28 PM

My slipcase rang up at the register for a penny, but when the total was run up, the penny disappeared, so you may not have been charged the penny after all. I kinda like the box, kinda don't, and I sure wouldn't have paid $7.99 for it, but I have it now nonetheless.

I watched the deleted scene already cause I met David Carridine and Michael Jai White at a Sci-Fi Convention in the Dallas area last summer before Volume 1 was released, and I got the impression that Michael had a much bigger part. I was disappointed to discover he wasn't in the final edit at all, so it was great to finally see the deleted scene. I would have liked to have seen it stay in the movie, and perhaps it will find its way back in the re-edit.
Old 08-10-04, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got the box free with purchase of Vol. 2. It's okay, I like how they put all of the DiVAS members on the back of the box.
Old 08-10-04, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I got the Japanese Box with Vol 1 so I'm not to worried about picking this one up at best buy. It would be nice but man the box from the R2 VOL 1 can hold both vol 1 + vol 2 of both R1 and R2 versions and I'm going to guess that it even has the room to spare to hold the future Ultimate edition, it's that nice and big.
Old 08-10-04, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The other thing to consider about waiting for the ultimate box set is that they may be different versions of the movies. When shown together (in Europe I believe, released as "The Whole Bloody Affair") the Klingon proverb and cliffhanger are removed from volume 1 as well as the driving intro in part 2. Personally, I liked the movies I saw in the theater and want them for my home theater. I thought the cliffhanger was the perfect way to end part 1 and having seen the movie several times I wouldn't want it any other way. Now I understand the need for the color version of the big fight scene with added violence but that is available from Japan if you have a region player.
Old 08-10-04, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
haven't decided whether or not if I want the box or not. since all the B&M's have the same price on Vol. 2 when I buy Vol. 2 this Thursday, a slipcase for a penny wouldn't be bad.
Old 08-10-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone notice that Uma's scary-scary bellybutton was pretty much airbrushed out of the cover for Vol. 2?

Look at the print ads for the DVD and you'll see this weird, scar-like serrated belly button on Uma. It's mysteriously missing from the cover for Vol. 2.
Old 08-10-04, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
I've watched Part 1 four times since it was released... I suspect that I'll watch Part 2 four times in the next few months... That's 8 X a rental fee. When the ultimate version comes out, I'll buy that and trade or sell the others for close (enough) to what I originally paid for them...

Tell me, what's the problem? So go on enjoying not having Kill Bill around to spin when you get the urge. Or better, giving your money to some asshat corporation like Blockbuster for a rental... The ultimate version will be out at any time (right), keep on waiting... In the meantime, I'll be hangin' out with Bill.
You've just completely summed up my dvd buying habits. With about .15hrs of labor I can sell my old copies for $1 less than what I paid for them . A rental is $3.95 for 1 day!
Old 08-10-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by lukewarmwater
Amazon.jp , japan, has got a way better version. Wonder why he did a special for them but not for the u.s.

and look what extras they get:

【BOX同梱グッズ】
●オキナワTシャツ
●名刀ハットリ・ハンゾウ(1/10スケールモデル)
●ベアブリック(“MURDER BRIDE VERSION”)
●24Pオールカラーブックレット

【特典映像】
●製作メイキング
●青葉屋舞台誉
●インタビュー集

lucky bastards!
They also get better cover art, imo.

I already have that one and have pre-ordered the Vol.2 boxset. I may cancel it since I'm not really happy with what is included in it. The completist in me wants it, though. I've got til October to decide.
Old 08-10-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
I'm having the same problem, mrhan. I have the first boxed set and part of me really wants to buy the second boxed set, just to have it. But it was easier to justify buying the first set because you got the different cut of the film. But I don't think anything is different in Vol. 2.
Old 08-10-04, 04:35 PM

Thanks for the artwork CK. Its a shame that the freebie box has better artwork than the DVDs themselves.

I paid roughly $16 with tax for this DVD. Watch it 2.4 times, paid for in rentals. I'll sell it on eBay for at least $9.99 when the extreme special uncut directors collectors ultimate tin anniversary edition comes out.
Old 08-10-04, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by clckworang
I'm having the same problem, mrhan. I have the first boxed set and part of me really wants to buy the second boxed set, just to have it. But it was easier to justify buying the first set because you got the different cut of the film. But I don't think anything is different in Vol. 2.
Did you pre-order it, too? Just in case you eventually wanted it but don't want to pay a premium price. I have it on pre order for $61 incl. shipping at Amazon.jp and have noticed that it's going for a lot more at other sites.
Old 08-10-04, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

picked up V2 today at BB and got the free box. theres never a "mad scramble" for anything at my store. must be a thousand or more just in the one box in the isle. as for the box itself...it's not that bad. it works just fine and it's no worse than any other on my shelves. these will do until the next domestic editions arrive. I have no interest in the import boxes....but will be ordering the import of V1 at some point.
Old 08-10-04, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got mine today. It's nothing special, but it was free with the movie, which you know I had to have.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.